Ultimate Router Help FAQ

Creator

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hiya. The link for the linksys router doesn't work, and I would really like to host games. I have the Wireless 2.4 G router or something like that.

Edit: Now I've gotten somewhere... kinda. You can access the filters by having the .asp extension instead of the .htm. But now, their isn't a forwarding tab, although their is a port forwarding tab. But when you go to that tab, it doesn't open up a new screen or anything.

Qwerty_99

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i ahve the linksys router and i have 2.4 G router and i need help!

i got a question. not to long ago i used tyo play a lot of mmorpgs then all of the sudden i couldnt play any of them. also any other websites or games that have an update server wont work for me.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Creator
Hiya. The link for the linksys router doesn't work, and I would really like to host games. I have the Wireless 2.4 G router or something like that.

Edit: Now I've gotten somewhere... kinda. You can access the filters by having the .asp extension instead of the .htm. But now, their isn't a forwarding tab, although their is a port forwarding tab. But when you go to that tab, it doesn't open up a new screen or anything.
That is one mistake I made with this FAQ it doens't work with all "types" and makes of routers. Follow this link, and in there you should be able to find what you want. Just take the filters off:

http://192.168.1.1/

If you don't know where to go from there. Check this link out:

http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_is...ev.nfo&record={1A4}&softpage=IKW_ENU_JDocView

That is all the info I have to give to you. Good luck. :)

Originally posted by Qwerty_99
i got a question. not to long ago i used tyo play a lot of mmorpgs then all of the sudden i couldnt play any of them. also any other websites or games that have an update server wont work for me.
This isn't a router problem. That problem most likely stems from issues on your computer solely. You only need to configure your router if you want to HOST games. Other than that, a router shouldn't impede any outgoing connections.

K

krazyb0y

hi yea i dont know what router i have....a gray router with all these plugs in it, and it shows differnt colors of lights next to it, and it also, some of the lights blink

A

Azeroth

Umm i can host a game but no one can join it. Does that count? Oh I have a D-Link.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Azeroth
Umm i can host a game but no one can join it. Does that count? Oh I have a D-Link.
This means that you didn't configure your router correctly. Possibly you have two computers using WC3 at the same time? If that is the case you need another configuration.

Originally posted by krazyb0y
hi yea i dont know what router i have....a gray router with all these plugs in it, and it shows differnt colors of lights next to it, and it also, some of the lights blink
From that, I don't think I can make a good guess. Is their any decals or words on this grey box of yours? Does it have any teal stickers on it?

Typically D-link routers are grey and teal.

Typically Linksys is yellow and blue.

I don't know about Netgear...never seen one.

God Illuvatar

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all. Im from the SC Forums. I got directed here because of a thread concerning routers in the SC section. One person directed us here. I was just wondering Aragorn: does all that information apply to SC as well? I have the netgear router. Also, what port needs to be specifically opened for starcraft? Hoping you can reply, and sorry for the slightly off topic question (though "Ultimate Router Help FAQ" is very open, thankfully). Cheers all.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by God Illuvatar
Hi all. Im from the SC Forums. I got directed here because of a thread concerning routers in the SC section. One person directed us here. I was just wondering Aragorn: does all that information apply to SC as well? I have the netgear router. Also, what port needs to be specifically opened for starcraft? Hoping you can reply, and sorry for the slightly off topic question (though "Ultimate Router Help FAQ" is very open, thankfully). Cheers all.
Yes, this should apply to SC as well. WC3 and SC use the same port (6112).

argonoth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a linksys router, I am tryed what the support page offered and added the port numbers in ther forwarding tab. I also changed each of my 2 pc's port numbers(in game options). One is 6112 and the other 6113. I am trying to set up a simple LAN connection and I cant see the created game on 2nd pc. Any tips on setting up an LAN game? Is my router preventing me from playing head to head LAN?

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by argonoth
I have a linksys router, I am tryed what the support page offered and added the port numbers in ther forwarding tab. I also changed each of my 2 pc's port numbers(in game options). One is 6112 and the other 6113. I am trying to set up a simple LAN connection and I cant see the created game on 2nd pc. Any tips on setting up an LAN game? Is my router preventing me from playing head to head LAN?
You shouldn't have to configure your router to play LAN games. Port forwarding is only needed when you want to communicate with people trying to connect to a game created by your computer.

Most likely one of the computers has a firewall that is blocking lan traffic. Disable the firewall, and it should work.

There are different types there could be:
-Windows XP firewall (always disable this if you want to play games online)
-3rd party firewalls (Norton Internet Security, etc.)

Make sure you check for both types.

t0n3z

Reaction score
Ok. From what I can gather I have a D-link DSL-504 Router and my dad does not want me to medal inside the config. Thus he has a password and a user name put on it. When I try to connect to battle net it will not let me becasue I do not have the 6112 port open. Now I was just wondering if there are any ways to get inside your router (eg. Backup username and pass, there might be some password disabling program).

Any suggestions?

BTW for those of you who are to say "Get your dad to do it". He is away on holidays till like 10th of feb. Grr .....

Any suggestions?

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by t0n3z
Ok. From what I can gather I have a D-link DSL-504 Router and my dad does not want me to medal inside the config. Thus he has a password and a user name put on it. When I try to connect to battle net it will not let me becasue I do not have the 6112 port open. Now I was just wondering if there are any ways to get inside your router (eg. Backup username and pass, there might be some password disabling program).

Any suggestions?

BTW for those of you who are to say "Get your dad to do it". He is away on holidays till like 10th of feb. Grr .....

Any suggestions?
Configuring your router will not fix general connectivity issues. If you can't connect to bnet then it isn't your routers fault.

Reguarding the Dad locking the router problem:

The only way to do it, is to hit that little reset button on the router. Warning to you however, it completely REMOVES all settings on your router. Even the password and user name will be reset. The other possible solution is to figure out the username and password.

A

atheist19

im am using a netgear router, but battle.net wasnt in the pulldown list, so i chose add custom service. I added battle.net as the name, 6112 as both start and end ports, but i am stuck for what to put as the Ip address. Sum1 help!!!! preferably aragorn

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Start->Run.

Type in command. Press enter.

Then type in "ipconfig" without quotes.

The IP that you will enter into the box is the IP of your local computer. The command "ipconfig" shows all of the IP/Gateway/DNS information you need to configure the router.

thebird

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Linkys Router

Hey this is exactly what i need. I logged in with the correct address, but the link named "page" seems to not work. Just wanted to let you know that, and until then i cannot get rid of the homosexual firewall.

thebird

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Router Help!!!!

Hey its BIRD again, I can now open the linksys page in which it tells you to enter the ports. Except it only gives you an example. Im not sure of what to do after this point. I am running my internet off of a Linksys wireless router. the main router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs running off the wireless signal. PLEASE HELP!!! PREFERABLY ARAGORN!!!!

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Re: Router Help!!!!

Originally posted by thebird
Hey its BIRD again, I can now open the linksys page in which it tells you to enter the ports. Except it only gives you an example. Im not sure of what to do after this point. I am running my internet off of a Linksys wireless router. the main router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs running off the wireless signal. PLEASE HELP!!! PREFERABLY ARAGORN!!!!
You need to open up port 6112.

http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_is...ev.nfo&record={1A4}&softpage=IKW_ENU_JDocView

That is a help page that gives the information you SHOULD need to fill in. Good luck.