Twilight of the Gods

Rawri

Reaction score
I bought Reign of Chaos about 1 month, and finished it easily. Yet, there's one quest I just can't do on hard mode.

Twilight of the Gods. Has anyone done this mission? I mean, without the exploit of destroying enemy bases and on hard mode. I can handle all 45 mns on the orc base on normal, but on hard it's just impossible. My best was reach 45 seconds left until I was totally overrun. My strategy is: hold the human camp, which I can for 13 mns, hold orc base, which I can for around 20 mns, but then it's a nightmare. I tend to build around 20 ancient protectors on orc base and then I just swarm mine with them. I use my 2 heroes, 5 druids in bear form, and about 50 archers all totally upgraded. I always die on the same attack: a lot of Infernos and company come from the north entrance and I just can't handle after a bunch of attacks. I searched for walkthroughs, but they only talk about the building exploits, and I don't consider it a real win hehe. So, has anyone got any tip? :D

midastouch84

Reaction score
Hey, did you beat this yet???

I havent really came too close....

I'm thinking two keys are the goblin land mines and the fountain of health.

The land mines come back quickly, and the fountain of health gives you a definite advantage..

VBadGirl

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wnv-gaming.com
lol.. you aren't supposed to save jaina's base nor thrall's base let alone your base. your main goal is to hold 45 mins and prevent him from entering the circle before that mark... he will enter anyway coz that was what it had to happen but furion needs 45 min to gather all the wisps.

the best strategy i remember doing is mass bears, dryads and some hypos all 3-3 upgrade (hyppos for the wyrm and gargs , cast roar on hyppos to be more effective).

use the land mines and recruit additional mercs available on the map if u run low on food supply. the goblin mines regenerate if i remember correctly place them around their way. also very effective is to cast starfall and tranquility in the same time specially in bigger waves.

gl

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Don't patch your Warcraft (play 1.00). Secure the other 2 gold mines and build 3-4 Ancients of Lore, and upgrade the ranged attack upgrades (no need for anything else). Research the Dryad's Dispel Magic. Now just keep building Dryads.

Why? In 1.00, Infernals, which do the most damage in this campaign, are stupidly dispellable with Dispel Magic. So any time you see a Dreadlord rushing forward, Entangle it using (Mal)Furion and beat the heck out of it - and if it gets through, dispel the Infernal it summons it using your Dryads. Alternate Starfall and Tranquility every wave.

Now this is where it gets stupid as because Dryads are magic immune, the only vulnerable units are your non-Dryad starting units and your heroes - and to be honest, considering you'll be only hit by Frost Nova and Carrion Swarm, none of your heroes are going to die any time soon.

Just know when to pull back and retain as many Dryads as possible (use the Fountain).

I finished this campaign in the Orc Base still holding out - I had to build a couple of Ancient Protectors because the Gargoyles were getting on my nerves. Force of Nature is probably your best bet against the Meat Wagons which thrash Dryads - loop behind the wave and use Force of Nature to beat them up before they get near your Dryads.

Of course, it didn't make sense in the end (Archimonde walking through my base? He was stuck trying to get past my 30 or so Dryads!) but I managed to knock a solid amount of health off Archimonde's final wave while the final wave itself was stuck in a stalemate because every single unit was Slow Poisoned; the heroes dead and the Meat Wagons destroyed.

If you've patched it beyond 1.03, though (I think), you'll have to do it the hard way - lots of Bears and Hippogriffs, and one or two Dryads for dispelling and irritation. And alternate the use of Starfall and Tranquility unless you don't have a lot of units, because they arrive at a rate every half a Starfall cooldown.

If you find yourself with too much money, start building plenty of Ancient Protectors around - they do come in useful. Just watch out for those irritating Meat Wagons.*

VBadGirl

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wnv-gaming.com
meatwagons cant trash the dryads if he plays 1.01 because dryads didnt take extra from siege untill 1.07 patch so.. :).

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
meatwagons cant trash the dryads if he plays 1.01 because dryads didnt take extra from siege untill 1.07 patch so.. :).
They still did pretty awesome damage to Dryads even with "normal" damage. If they didn't damage the Dryads, they kind of started hitting the towers which annoyed me, as they were the only things really protecting me from the Abominations.*