TvT help: Methods

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hey, when playing TvT, should you go for wraiths or tanks or goliaths or vultures?

Suppose you scanned his base and saw his units. Which units would you "go for" depending on his units?

Also, how often do you expand? I've seen most people just expand right next door, but when exactly are you supposed to expand to your third?

Alton

Member!
Reaction score
Website
macsc.net
When you play TvT, try to win. Winning is genarly the fastest way to win and will noramly work no matter what.

Ok, now really, use tanks and vultures. They move fast and shoot fare.

skyglow2[cW]

Reaction score
Tans and vultures. And if you see starports get some goliaths with range upgrade. And iuf you see BC's then go for ghosts with lockdown.

skyglow1

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I actually got much better on TvT over the past year... so I'm pretty confident now... I've always thought that wraith rushes were useless, but after some experience, I've changed my 2 fac build to 1 fac 2 hidden ports now... Wraiths with tanks and dropships = very scary...lol

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
If he goes with his marines near your tanks, it's not that good. Send some SCVs for repair as well.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TvT imo is a really gay matchup because there are so many varieties. For example, some starts include the proxy rax rine rush, vulture rush, goliath rush, 1 fac 1 port expo, 2 fac tanks and fast contain, 2 port wraiths, etc..etc...

i find the best thing to do against any start is to go 2 fac 1 addon, mine upgrade and 2-4 vultures. Try to get into their base early and lay mines near factories, and kill couple of scv. If you successfully get in, keep sending vultures, and it will eventually be GG cause u got mines at his factories.

If you can't get in, switch to tanks and get an expo and e-bay. Be sure to have tanks protecting main and cliff above expo in case of drops. From there, try to contain him and build turrets around the map. TvT in general, there is a lot of unspent minerals, so just use it to build turrets. The turrets not only serves as a scout, but can also shoot down dropships or wraiths flying around the map.

After succesfuly containing him, take some more expos, and end the game with a superdrop, or get 7 or 8 bc's. If you didn't contain him, don't let him contain you, just keep the middle and it will be a stalemate, both of you will be free to expo their own sides of the map. Make sure you are defended well because the opponent can super drop you and take over your expos. you can't afford to lose a geyser in this matchup.

Late game TvT is where it gets very gay. Usually, it is tanks&BC vs tanks&BC. One person counters that by going massive BC, the other counters it back by going massive goliaths, then the other guy goes massive tanks and bc, and the cycle repeats itself. It is usually very frustrating because you can't pass the enemy's defense. So basically, the person with better micro and macro will win the late game TvT.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeah, that mu IS pretty gay. Question: why do counter his BCs with your own? Why not make ghosts/goliaths backed by your own tanks instead or wraiths or something?

exobyte

Member!
Reaction score
In TvT, I usually defend, stim drop mid-game and go for massive amounts of ghosts with lockdown late game since the people I play against in TvT usually go for heavy metal late game.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
yeah, that mu IS pretty gay. Question: why do counter his BCs with your own? Why not make ghosts/goliaths backed by your own tanks instead or wraiths or something?
If i go ghosts or goliaths backed up with tanks, i'll be at a disadvantage because it is a HUGE hassle to hold position all the time and make sure ur ground units don't die, especially goliaths (they have the AI of rocks).

If i go wraiths, i will suffer heavier losses because of the turrets around the map. Even though i may be able to kill most of his bc, if he just rebuilds and adds 3 or 4 valks, then all my wraiths are toast.

BC definetly has an advantage because of their ability to yamato the tanks. Kill the tanks, and push forward.

Madball

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by exobyte
In TvT, I usually defend, stim drop mid-game and go for massive amounts of ghosts with lockdown late game since the people I play against in TvT usually go for heavy metal late game.

err..90% of all TvT games Ive played, the opponent goes metal straight away.

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Tiger_shark
TvT imo is a really gay matchup because there are so many varieties. For example, some starts include the proxy rax rine rush, vulture rush, goliath rush, 1 fac 1 port expo, 2 fac tanks and fast contain, 2 port wraiths, etc..etc...

i find the best thing to do against any start is to go 2 fac 1 addon, mine upgrade and 2-4 vultures. Try to get into their base early and lay mines near factories, and kill couple of scv. If you successfully get in, keep sending vultures, and it will eventually be GG cause u got mines at his factories.

If you can't get in, switch to tanks and get an expo and e-bay. Be sure to have tanks protecting main and cliff above expo in case of drops. From there, try to contain him and build turrets around the map. TvT in general, there is a lot of unspent minerals, so just use it to build turrets. The turrets not only serves as a scout, but can also shoot down dropships or wraiths flying around the map.

After succesfuly containing him, take some more expos, and end the game with a superdrop, or get 7 or 8 bc's. If you didn't contain him, don't let him contain you, just keep the middle and it will be a stalemate, both of you will be free to expo their own sides of the map. Make sure you are defended well because the opponent can super drop you and take over your expos. you can't afford to lose a geyser in this matchup.

Late game TvT is where it gets very gay. Usually, it is tanks&BC vs tanks&BC. One person counters that by going massive BC, the other counters it back by going massive goliaths, then the other guy goes massive tanks and bc, and the cycle repeats itself. It is usually very frustrating because you can't pass the enemy's defense. So basically, the person with better micro and macro will win the late game TvT.
He explained it nicely, most Teran vs Terran match-ups go staright to vulture and then tanks + vultues. You can sneak in wraiths and start hitting him in newly made expansions. I haven't seen any good players go with a rine rush ina TvT match-up. However, I've heard that SlayerS_BoXer locked down six battlecruisers in under a second before.