^TiMe TRaVeL^

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeah hawking radiation when steven halking first came into a university as a scientist, everyone there was trying to figure out an equation problem concerning black holes. after much thought, steven hawking found that even black holes emitts radiation who they named "hawking radation"
in theory, black holes will emitt these radation until the black hole emits so much that it collapse upon itself

Xenoce

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It's not the black hole emiting radiation that causes it to shrink (not collapse) but that it absorbs negative energy. Fine destinction.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yay trekkies everywhere i got my info :D

The Dali paradox.
Also known as the melting clock effect. It refers to a temporal fissure which slows the passage of time to a gradual halt.

The Pogo paradox.
A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.

sound corny? ahh so what

MacMan

Reaction score
Xenoce said:
I'd like to say this is wrong. It most definitely would not take nearly all the energy in the universe. It takes more energy to accelerate it to .9c then to stop if from .5c.
Understandable. However, I got this information from a small lecture I attended with Lawrence Krauss last year, and it stood out in my mind. After all, the atom's mass would increase as it approached c. This is from one of his books:
Lawrence M. Krauss said:
Assuming we use fuels comparable to conventional rocket fuels today, how much fuel would it take to accelerate a single atom to half the speed of light, and stop it again? The answer may surprise you: The amount of fuel required would exceed the entire mass of the visible Universe!

Xenoce

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Understandable. However, I got this information from a small lecture I attended with Lawrence Krauss last year, and it stood out in my mind. After all, the atom's mass would increase as it approached c. This is from one of his books:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence M. Krauss
Assuming we use fuels comparable to conventional rocket fuels today, how much fuel would it take to accelerate a single atom to half the speed of light, and stop it again? The answer may surprise you: The amount of fuel required would exceed the entire mass of the visible Universe!
He's speaking of conventional rocket fuel. We have MUCH more efficient methods of propulsion. Rocket fuel is messy, and not very powerful, on the scale we're talking about. Also, he's speaking of mass, not energy.

I still doubt the claim, however.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ORC-r0x0r-ROC said:
I actually I believe it was forward in time, you see it went into the machine and 10 seconds later is popped out! [/joke] (But seriously I did hear something about a atom sent in time) Here is site with a lot of theories of this stuff http://mb-soft.com/public/time.html
[glow=red]I heard about that too, it wasn't an atom, it was information about the atom.[/glow]

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
actually there are some stories on one guy called john titor who claimed to be a time traveller... and in case its possible to travel, my opinion is the same as newbie's i think you can only go to the past...
He admitted to being a fraud.

betaalpha5: Stop getting your scientific information from movies and TV shows. :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
MacMan said:
It's not! That's the big problem, fitting gravity into quantum physics. And Tronga, the denominator wouldn't equal zero, it would instead be a negative under a square root, in which case friendly numbers stop working.
1/sqr(1-v/c)

If v=c, it equals 1/sqr(1-1) = 1/0

Didn't read anything else, sorry.

Btw, friendly numbers, what's that? It's stupid that you guys call it something and I call it something completly different :-/

MacMan

Reaction score
Anything over c puts imaginary numbers into the equation, I just find them unfriendly to work with :).

And Kuz, I think you're right. As far as I know the only way they've been able to "teleport" atoms has been to read an atom's configuration and then print that onto another "blank" atom.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yes, over c, it's imaginary, but I said that you couldn't reach the speed of light, or you'd have infinite mass, thus destroying the universe :D

AZN_FLEA

Reaction score
time travel is impossible. it is a load of bullshit just like the word "civilised" you cant do time travel, reaching the speed of light aint gonna happen and if they do there is no telling that there is nuff fuel to keep it going for long anyway.

raDixGhost

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.gamers2k4.com
I dont know. Anyone of you guys heard about how people in space age less than people in earth? What if the whole idea of "time" is really based on gravity. Then to truely find out if it is possible or not then going to a black hole would be the answer.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
It's not a matter of gravity, it's a matter of velocity. Up there, they are traveling faster than we are (think of the Earth as a giant stick. If you grab it one of the ends, and start spinning around, the end opposite to what you are grabbing has a bigger linear velocity than the one you are grabbing, same happens in Earth).

raDixGhost

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.gamers2k4.com
Yeah but velocity can be stopped by gravity. Light the fastest substance that we know off can be stopped with the dark hole. So if we learn to "control" or substantialate the energy or just use the gravity in the dark hole we might be able to time travel.

padfoot_001

Member!
Reaction score
raDixGhost said:
Yeah but velocity can be stopped by gravity. Light the fastest substance that we know off can be stopped with the dark hole. So if we learn to "control" or substantialate the energy or just use the gravity in the dark hole we might be able to time travel.

Do you know Samantha Carter from StarGate SG-1 ... well, you sounded just like her when you said that.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
intrestingly enough, a black hole will soon disapate after it has release all their hawking radation. if the center of the milky way is a blakc hole, does that mean the milky way could one day disappear from the universe :-/

OneEliteMof0

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Azn Flea typed- "time travel is impossible. it is a load of bullshit just like the word "civilised" you cant do time travel, reaching the speed of light aint gonna happen and if they do there is no telling that there is nuff fuel to keep it going for long anyway."

I was thinking, if you did actually reach the speed of light in space, wouldn't it be easy to maintain the current speed, or close to? Everything is equally pulling all matter in all possible directions in space which creats no gravity. So wouldn't there be no force to slow you down once you reached the speed of light?

If that was true, you would only need enough energy to get you up to that speed, and not maintain that speed.

At one point and time 30MPH was an impossible speed to reach, and now we have broke the sound barrior. I don't see why it would not be possible to one day travel as fast/faster than the speed of light. Mabie just not with todays technology or fuels.

Zerglite

Reaction score
OneEliteMof0 said:
Azn Flea typed- "time travel is impossible. it is a load of bullshit just like the word "civilised" you cant do time travel, reaching the speed of light aint gonna happen and if they do there is no telling that there is nuff fuel to keep it going for long anyway."

I was thinking, if you did actually reach the speed of light in space, wouldn't it be easy to maintain the current speed, or close to? Everything is equally pulling all matter in all possible directions in space which creats no gravity. So wouldn't there be no force to slow you down once you reached the speed of light?

If that was true, you would only need enough energy to get you up to that speed, and not maintain that speed.

At one point and time 30MPH was an impossible speed to reach, and now we have broke the sound barrior. I don't see why it would not be possible to one day travel as fast/faster than the speed of light. Mabie just not with todays technology or fuels.
if you reached the speed of light... or really REALLY close to it

would you be able to see the light particles going past?...

and as for bieng in outer space making you live longer, the lower gravity allows less stress on your heart