Thoughts on Dead Island

KOLOSSAL

Hi Friends
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
This is by no means a formal review, however I just want to take a couple seconds out of my busy schedule to share my insight into this new release.

The day Dead Island was released I was eager, although admittedly less than I felt I should have been... which I found later to be for good reason (my instincts are never wrong). Now see, there is this new beautiful invention called Redbox that I refuse to stop abusing as it allows me to try brand new games for a whopping $2.12. Anyway, I hit up my local Redbox and popped out Dead Island. I took the game home and popped it in, once again not feeling terribly hopeful but still hoping to be proved wrong.

The beginning creation was alright. It gives four custom classes which honestly they should have just provided us the tools to create our own character. The opening cinematic and story was fun and does start to give you the feel of Darwinism. The fallout style loot kind of threw me off guard. After the 100th suitcase filled with the same **** I started to get sick of it. The quests are alright. Perhaps I'm spoiled but every game nowadays seems to have the same generic questlines. All and all I became bored after ~1 hour, which rarely happens.

HOWEVER, there are a few things to consider even regarding my disparaging insight. At one point halfway in, someone connected to my game and we started to run around together. It did make the game much more enjoyable having a sentient teammate... like ten times more enjoyable. That right there is why I think this game might be a helluva good time if played with a group of real life buddies. I can definitely see holding a night full of beer, ramen, and video games... popping in Dead Island and ****ing off for hours.

Most reviews have rated Dead Island 8 to 8.5/10. All in all I'd rate the game 6/10. It's interesting but nothing more than a slightly stepped up L4D.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wrote the longest comment but took too long before I posted and it was timed out. Not going to retype it all.

Gist:
Roommate bought the game, he was very stocked. I was initially stocked but closer to release it amazed me far less the more I saw.

Result: gameplay is VERY repetitive, boring, and focus is alot on loot for no reason. I'm not a fan at all of having to collect loot, coins, etc. for the sack of having some dumb system of "leveling".
Another note: roommate seemed to have a lot more fun with co-op as you said

-very smart move trying before you buy on unproven franchises!

note to members: If you make a really long post, copy it before you submit in case you timeout or something. That way you can just paste it if it fails... I normally do but didn't this time.