This game is losing players as fast as SWTOR?

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is any truth to this rumor. But there is a lot of talk through the internet landscape that D3 is starting to bleed in player count. And the fact that people are comparing it to SWTOR's rapid dropping count is troubling.

Does anyone have any proof of this?

Esperahol

Reaction score
I haven't seem any data, but I know alot of people either got sick of the issues related to the servers, and a lot more came to viserally hate the auction house along with its attendent issues.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who have stopped playing this game. They said it has gotten boring and they would rather play other games.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
If true, then it's a shame because this game was waited on by millions. Even more so than SWTOR.

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
I don´t think about that question. The error in all of us is to look at Diablo III under the same light as Diablo II. Are different seasons, and therefore, different ways of playing. Today the Internet is much more developed and everything is a little more fast and fleeting. Surely the game suffers a loss of players, but I think isn't too large to put on alert to Blizzard.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
This is true, there were probably a lot of random players who never even played the Diablo series but were hyped just because of the hype built up. When they played it they realized they did not like it and stopped. Although I do know a few Diablo II players that were genuinely upset.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
This is true, there were probably a lot of random players who never even played the Diablo series but were hyped just because of the hype built up. When they played it they realized they did not like it and stopped. Although I do know a few Diablo II players that were genuinely upset.
A few? You're lucky.

I don't know anyone that's reached inferno and hasn't gotten bored of the game, D2 fan or otherwise.

It's a shame, the game really is quite good, they just didn't polish it enough to release when they did.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
A few? You're lucky.

I don't know anyone that's reached inferno and hasn't gotten bored of the game, D2 fan or otherwise.

It's a shame, the game really is quite good, they just didn't polish it enough to release when they did.

They didn't polish probably because they felt they could get away with it the way they did with WOW.

Remember back when WOW first came out? The bad reviews and outrage that followed was astounding. But as time went on they slowly fixed and added things. Turning it into the current behemoth it is.

They may have figured Diablo 3 could have the same luck.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
They didn't polish probably because they felt they could get away with it the way they did with WOW.

Remember back when WOW first came out? The bad reviews and outrage that followed was astounding. But as time went on they slowly fixed and added things. Turning it into the current behemoth it is.

They may have figured Diablo 3 could have the same luck.
Oh I understand the reasoning. I mean, after 12 years (correct me if I'm wrong here) in development I can only imagine the corporate pressure from higher-ups and the like.

It's just... disappointing, because, well. WoW was a new venture into a market Blizzard hadn't touched. D2 was already a blueprint on how to make a fantastic hack'n'slash, they just needed to make things new and fix a few issues.

WhiteNelumbo

Member!
Reaction score
Well, D3 did get crazy revenue because of the hype Blizzard created. It's all in the marketing. A lot of players do complain that the game is half-baked and undeveloped. I personally think the same. There's still so much room for improvement, but Blizzard doesn't take this opportunity to make it better. I can see a significant decrease in players, and it's all over different forums and communities of D3 players. I'm sure there will still be hardcore players who will continue to play no matter what, but the casual gamer population will drop.

Sargento

Reaction score
My anecdotal experience runs counter to this thread, and I haven't seen any articles or stats on the amount of users otherwise. But I have multiple friends who still play at least 4-5 hours a week, and they're really into the auction system. Granted, they smoke weed all day, and it's a relatively easy game to zone out in, so that might be why.

Either way, I still use it to relax after long days at work.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
Oh I understand the reasoning. I mean, after 12 years (correct me if I'm wrong here) in development I can only imagine the corporate pressure from higher-ups and the like.

It's just... disappointing, because, well. WoW was a new venture into a market Blizzard hadn't touched. D2 was already a blueprint on how to make a fantastic hack'n'slash, they just needed to make things new and fix a few issues.
I agree the one thing that is most disappointing about this game was the long development time and the lack of polishing. I hope they do add more things along the way like they did with WoW and make it a really spectacular game.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is definitely the case but I haven't seen actual numbers yet. I think Blizzard underestimated how quickly the diehards would beat inferno and I think that the non-diehards just didn't have enough to care about.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score

You bring up a good point. In a tiny way, WOW kind of had an excuse to hide behind. Diablo 3 already had the foundation set from the previous games. Very good point you bring up.

Winterzbane

Reaction score
Look the one thing people always seem to forget is it's the hype factor. When a new game comes out there are a lot of people that are going to try it out. However it's not going to end up being for everyone in the end, and so after the initial flood things start to settle into place. Once you have that happen than you have the true user base of what traffic the game truly brings in and retains. If your worried about the game dying it's not going to happen It's just going to grow into a some what smaller than it was, but tighter community of players which actually can be a good thing.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I agree tight communities are better. I have played a lot of online games I find when it gets really popular and everyone is playing the player base sucks.

CyanSleepy

Reaction score
I remember the first day Diablo III came out. The streets of WoW were completely empty. The only time it would get over populated is when Diablo III was down and people would whine and complain constantly in trade chat. Though now it seems like everything is back to normal, almost. I see a lot of people coming back to WoW from Diablo III.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I remember the first day Diablo III came out. The streets of WoW were completely empty. The only time it would get over populated is when Diablo III was down and people would whine and complain constantly in trade chat. Though now it seems like everything is back to normal, almost. I see a lot of people coming back to WoW from Diablo III.
Yeah I imagine that those people were buying it just because they like WoW so much. They probably bought it off hype and did not realize Diablo is a different game. Like the above post said there was a lot of hype buyers in this game.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
There is no way to confirm or deny. This rumor is based on the XFire numbers dropping, however Blizzard is never going to release this information, and there is no way to probe server traffic like an MMO (like: SWOTOR)

As for the game, Blizzard had a **** design. They expected palyers to spend weeks in Act I inferno, slowly grinding gear, as they fixed issues and added content. In essence, the RMAH was not supposed to even come out after Inferno had been even half-way cracked.
However, because they refused to do anything but internal testing, players found bugs and explots quickly, and beat inferno/began farmin Act III-IV. Following this, gold AH market was flooded with much better gear, allowing even more players to get into late inferno. It crashed the economy. Players solved the game months ahead of where Blizzard wanted you too. So now there is not any more content for players to work towards.

This is all because of their arrogance and unwillingness to extend a beta test to anything but the first half of Act I normal. If players were allowed to test lvl 60 characters most of this **** would have been caught and fixed. It's their own fault, and the designers inability to understand what Diablo II offered in the end-game.

Side note:
That Wizard invincible bug? That was found two months ago. It's only being looked into now because some idiot blabbed about it on the forums. Keep in mind, there are lots of eploits being used that no one knows about.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
The fact that certain gear stats have already been nerfed says it all really. Personally I'm just waiting on the PVP patch to play again.

Predicting massive nerfs to crit gear in the near future as well. Then we can all run stats/resists builds with absolutely nothing else! Fun!