The Xel'Naga

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I just can't believe that the Xel'Naga were giant bugs. Man, how'd you like to find out you were created by a big ass roach after believing it was a superior "humaniod-reptilian thingy" for centuries. And since the Toss did attack them, and they have elders that are that old, why doesn't the story elude to something about the war or battle? You'd think they'd have books or something on this.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
It's in the manual, I think. They did battle the Xel'Naga, and that was what caused the Aeon of Strife. I don't think there is any living Protoss that watched the slaughter of the Xel'Naga, even because the Overmind was created after that, and it says somewhere that he is old by the millenia.

Biske

Reaction score
Wasn't the Aeon of Strife also a war of religion? Weren't there two sects of Protoss that looked at Khala differently? You know, the group before they were banished to become Dark Templar? Or was this when Khala was first introduced?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
That was after Khala was introduced. I forgot the name of the guy who introduced Khala, and I think that in the manual they say his name was lost, as well (I've read it like 2 years ago...). Most of the Protoss joined the Khala, and the Aeon of Strife ended. But there were some tribes who didn't. Those were then persecuted by the other tribes. Those were the Dark Templar, and it was Adun (as in En Taro Adun, or in the first mission of Brood War, En Taro Tassadar) that made them escape.

james_in_time

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ashigaru
Thats why they got raped by both the toss and zerg, mostly by the zerg?

Me an' Khas know quite abit about the sc storyline. Just thought I'd let you know.
they got raped by the zerg because of numbers, Xel 'Naga still pwn all.. maybe in mind and spirit, not in mass apperntly :p

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
That was after Khala was introduced. I forgot the name of the guy who introduced Khala,
*coughs and points to his screen name*

Khas wa the one that created the Khala, the "Path of Ascension". Held within the Khala is the entire foundation of the Protoss society and culture. It split the entire race into three castes- the Judicator, the Templar, and the Khalai. It also taught the disciplines of psionic control. The Khala was one of the factors that led to the end of the Aoen of Strife.

However, there were those that opposed the Khala. These dissidents believed that the Judicator- those Protoss elders and statesmen that were given the reigns of power- would become corrupt and lust for more power. Upon discovering the existence of the Rogue Tribes, the Judicator ordered the Templar armies- commanded by the warrior Adun- to exterminate them. Why? Well, the Judicator believed that if the knowledge of the existence of the Rogues spread, all that Khas worked for would crumble. There could be no deviation from the Khala.

However, the Rogues were still Protoss, and as such Adun could not bring himself to kill them. So, he and his Templar hid the Rogues, and he tried to teach them of the Khala's truth. Still, they refused to listen to him. As time wore on, without the Disciplines of the Khala, the Fallen Ones lost their control over their psionic energies, inadvertently creating great storms. The Judicator discovered the Rogues once more, and that the Templar refused to kill them.

Killing Adun, such a well-known Templar warrior, would provoke the people of Aiur. So, the Conclave silenced the Templar, and banished the Rogues, who were forever knwon thereafter as the Dark Templar. As a show of disdain for the Judicator, the Dark Templar cut their nerve appendages, severing themselves from the power-hungry Conclave, and those Aiurans that would willfully follow the Judicator Rule.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
One can't get them all :) T'was a last time since I read it. But isn't Khas the Protoss word for Prophet, or Scrib, or something like that?

Biske

Reaction score
Wow dude, you need a hobby...other then reading Starcraft History of course.

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Wow dude, you need a hobby...other then reading Starcraft History of course.
You'd have no idea how much money I would have if I got a nickel for each time someone said that to me. I think of myself as an artist, though, so worry about me not. -_^

Khas means "He who brings Order"

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, considering you registered here even before myself, I wouldn't be surprised if you studied the SC manual since it arrived.

Either way, I knew Khas was not the real name of him. It's just a nickname, as his name was lost in history.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Sheesh, now that you think about it, the Terran's have a pretty boring history...

GOGO PROTOSS!!!

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
hmm, i want to input on this, even though i played the game and read the storyline like crazy a few years ago...

well from what i can decifer, the xel naga seem more like a race with high intelect yet weak and inferior bodies...*cough* humans *cough*...but it seems like the xel naga have high morals of some sort. They would gladly nuke the surface of a planet of buglike creatures that went berserk and tried to attack the xel naga(and did) but the toss attacked the xel naga yet the xel naga didnt counter attack...hmm...

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Yeah, but how do you know the Xel'Naga attacked the Zerg?

If you are talking about the Protoss BW campaign, i'm pretty sure you are mistaken (Unless i've got it all wrong!). Zeratul and Artanis merely utilised the technology inside the Xel'Naga Temple. The Xel'Nagians (Or whatever they are), didn't do jack, as far as i know.

aphextwin

Reaction score
Renzokuken said:
If the BW campaigns are ghey, then what does that make the Diablo 2 storyline?
d2 storyline is not bad imo, its just the expansion part is ghey, the classic diablo's story line is awesome

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Well, in the end it is a matter of opinion. But by the looks of this thread, you've gotta admit, the SC & BW campaigns are a WHOLE lot more complex than D2.

But then again, games like D2 aren't really built upon huge storylines. And it's just one campaign.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
Renzokuken said:
Yeah, but how do you know the Xel'Naga attacked the Zerg?

If you are talking about the Protoss BW campaign, i'm pretty sure you are mistaken (Unless i've got it all wrong!). Zeratul and Artanis merely utilised the technology inside the Xel'Naga Temple. The Xel'Nagians (Or whatever they are), didn't do jack, as far as i know.
i think the xel naga are doing something significant. What would make the zerg go crazy and attack the xel naga? what did the overmind see that was against his well being? Im positive blizzard has put in suvival instincts for all the races. So when the zerg became aware of the xel naga plan, they stopped it. What was this plan? it MUST have endangered its life. Remember terminator 3 i think? the computer sattelite thing went crazy and caused all the robots to kill humans in mass because it became self aware and was afraid of being shut off? Hmm, maybe, the zerg were at the end of their use? they bombed the zerg homeland correct? perhaps they were planning on it in the first place to get rid of the zerg. But it backfired and the zerg countered and captured xel naga and integrated them into their society. Now what happend to the integrated xel naga? zerg gotta eat something right? hahaha!

but i think the terran play a bigger part in the whole entire sc universe than can be known. Humans have something the other 2 races DONT have. Freedom. The zerg must obey the overmind. The protoss must obey the abdicators(right?) hmm lotta thinking going on. damn you blizzard!!!

thegrim_reaper

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Renzokuken said:
The Xel'Nagians (Or whatever they are), didn't do jack, as far as i know.
well they did BUILD THE DAMN THING and if you can construct something that rotates around and is friggin huge, bigger than a carrier in real life thats activated by putting in 2 funny lookin crystals than be my guest to call the xelnagians worthless :fwink

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
thebastardsword said:
but i think the terran play a bigger part in the whole entire sc universe than can be known. Humans have something the other 2 races DONT have. Freedom. The zerg must obey the overmind. The protoss must obey the abdicators(right?) hmm lotta thinking going on. damn you blizzard!!!
The Protoss have freedom. The judicators are a governing body. And with governing bodies, comes order, and that is what the Protoss want, order. Right?

But for Zerg, Kerrigan and Duran have freedom, do they not?

thegrim_reaper said:
well they did BUILD THE DAMN THING and if you can construct something that rotates around and is friggin huge, bigger than a carrier in real life thats activated by putting in 2 funny lookin crystals than be my guest to call the xelnagians worthless :fwink
I meant in the sense that the Protoss were independent in destroying the Zerg that attacked the Xel'Naga Temple.

Man, i have a feeling the VoK is goona come in and whoop some tail with his knowledge of SC. We prolly have got it the wrong way around o_O

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
*cough* humans *cough*
Is this to imply that we may be related to the Xel'Naga in some way? Doubtful. The 'Naga originate from a galaxy other than the Milky Way. And too, consider this: The Overmind assimilated and destroyed a fair number of the Ancient Wanderers. Would it not know the Xel'Naga when it met them? In the manual, it says that several Zerg probes discovered Humanity at the end of the galaxy, not Xel'Naga. And too, there are the Protoss. Would they have not been able to identify the sires of their race?

They would gladly nuke the surface of a planet of buglike creatures that went berserk
The 'Naga never touched the world of Zerus. When The Overmind discovere the Xel'Naga fleet, it severed its connection to these Wanderers, and made to attack the armada. As far as we know, there were no weapons fired by the 'Naga; they fell quickly and easily to the Swarms.

What would make the zerg go crazy and attack the xel naga?
A number of things. As you suggested, the Xel'Naga may have possessed some information that could easily counter the Swarms; thus the Overmind saw fit to destroy them before they could mount any kind of counter attack. Or perhaps the Overmind was merely following its instincts and wished to assimilate the knowledge of the Xel'Naga into itself. It got a lot from this infestation, as it was able to process the information of the Xel'Naga, as well as incorporate the Khaydarin energies into itself.

(However, it is evident that the Overmind was not able to assimilate all of the Xel'Naga knowledge, as it could not find the Protoss homeworld until it tapped into Zeratul's mind decades later.)

but i think the terran play a bigger part in the whole entire sc universe than can be known. Humans have something the other 2 races DONT have. Freedom. The zerg must obey the overmind. The protoss must obey the abdicators(right?)
Well, yes and no. Though we possess "freedom", it doesn't earn us much, as we continually fight amongst ourselves. Even with the advent of the Dominion, much time and resources have been wasted. We don't have the abilities necessary as of yet to gain a real foothold in the SC Universe. When you look at the Great War for Domination (the UED's term for the war chronicled in StarCraft) the fight is really between the Zerg and the Protoss, while the Terrans are stuck in the middle, merely trying to survive. (Of course, with all armies in the Koprulu Sector spent, the UED had a fairly easy time coming in and whooping as with their fresh forces. However, since they hadn't before experienced war on this scale, they fell relatively quickly, for they did not possess the experience or dynamicism of the Dominion warriors.)

But back to the topic at hand- freedom. The Protoss were indeed restrained by the Khala, as it was only a superficial band-aid for the scars and follies of the Protoss. It may be that the Communal Link has lost its place in the Protoss mind of priorities, and the Khala sort of forces it into the forefront of one's mind. Nevertheless, with the various tribes reunifying, this may no longer be an issue. (The Khala also set up a definced discipline of Psionic progression, so it wasn't all bad.)

Finally, the Zerg. The Overmind was the incarnation, the very manifestation, of all Zerg thought and consciousness. So in a sense, the Zerg still possess freedom, merely "centralized". However, with Kerrigan having taken power, the Zerg link has been weakned. Do you not find it odd that Kerrigan was not particularly nervous when Duran went missing? He was part of the Zerg consciousness; that just can't happen unless something big is going on...

The Xel'Nagians (Or whatever they are), didn't do jack, as far as i know.
They gave rise to the Zerg swarms and mighty Protoss Empire. What else do they need to do? Create weapons of mass destruction?...

*looks at the temple of shakuras*

Check and mate.