The Xel'Naga

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I just got Brood War yesterday, and I've already finished the Protoss Campaign. In its movie, in the Temple, when the platform arrives on top of it, and when they show a view-around of the platform, you can see some statues, that seems like a legged zerg larvae... Could it be that those were the Xel'Naga? If not, what were those?

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, since they look like larvea, could they be larvea? You know, maybe the Xel'Naga made that temple after the creation of the Zerg, or maybe it was being made as a tribute to the early version of the Zerg, before they were all destroyed.

Don't know bout you, but I always thought of the Xel'Naga to look more like the Protoss then Zerg anyhow. Kinda makes ya wish Blizz would make some artist renditions or something.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I always imagined them as protoss, but sorta mroe advanced and better looking?

Perhaps the larvae is just maybe a god they worship, or a statue of the Zerg they created

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
The Zerg were created after the Protoss, so how could they have known what they looked like back then?

I'll have to go through the Protoss missions again (all my previous single-player progress has been lost in my many reformats), and check it out when I get a chance.

Enjoying your Forum Award prize there Tronga?

Make sure you make a few copies of it "just-in-case". :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Man, just write there is no cow level in the beggining of each game...

Either way, I am indeed enjoying my Forum Award Prize :D

And I'll make those jic copies, yes ;)

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
They kinda looked like giant ants to me... I dunno maybe they are the Xel'Naga's SECRET PROGECT DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Biske

Reaction score
Hell, that thing makes a great bed time story, shoot I read that sucker 10 times over, and intend to do so again, I find it facinating, Blizz does very well with background stories.

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Ah. Well, I have noticed that some of the designs the Protoss employ seem to resemble insects. Take for example the Reaver, a giant, caterpillar-like automaton. Did the original designers intend to make it appear as some great insect, perhaps to psych the enemy? Or perhaps that design maximizes stability and defenses? Whatever the case may be, it clearly looks and moves like an insect, and I do not believe it to be wholly coincidental.

I have seen on a TV show some time ago, perhaps on the Discovery channel, that archetects are studying the structure of things such as bee hives, as they prove to be very durable and efficient. Not only that, but they circulate air quite well. Perhaps the Xel'Naga respected insectoid creatures, for one reason or another...

Huh, an odd theory:

Zerg- Insectoid
Protoss- Reptoid
Terrans- Mammalian
Xel'Naga- Avian?

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I'm attracted to any and all discussions related to the story aspects of StarCraft. I have a sixth-sense about these--

Wait! *sniff* Someone is about to post a Protoss-related message. I'm off! >>

james_in_time

Member!
Reaction score
Alll i have to say is that the Xel'Naga PWN all. and to have any clue wtf u are talking about ill have to go thru the campaign again.. if i do that im afraid ill get addictedd again

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Though it is true that the Xel'Naga possessed technology beyond anything that we know- indeed, likely superior to the Protoss' current technological level- they have experienced many setbacks, and their technology may have regressed or lost. Now, it is evident that the 'Naga still possess some advanced tech, as Duran and the nature of his mission suggests. But we still have a very vague idea of just how advanced. Hell, not even that.

So, we cannot really say whether or not the Xel'Naga "pwn all".

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by james_in_time
Alll i have to say is that the Xel'Naga PWN all.
Thats why they got raped by both the toss and zerg, mostly by the zerg?

Me an' Khas know quite abit about the sc storyline. Just thought I'd let you know.

aphextwin

Reaction score
lol the campaigns are gehy in brood war

MacMan

Reaction score
someone grab a screenshot?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
"we discovered it was a Xel'Naga temple, dedicated to the race that sired us all."

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yes, those, thanks Ryan.

Anyway, you made me remind one thing, VoK, the fact that the Xel'Naga were attacked by the Protoss. And they run away. But before arriving to the ships they lost plenty of lifes. They had to be slow. And, even though an insectoid is not slow, at all, perhaps they were to heavy to be able to move fast, and the Protoss were able to slaughter some. Though I doubt they wouldn't have something to carry them away, some vehicle... Meh, it's just a theory.