The Spore Thread

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
Re: Post ur spore creation list!

i dont care. i buy about 1-2 games a month and felt like something civlizationy. i havent played higher difficulties yet, does the game have more depth at medium and hard or is it just more difficult?

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Re: Err spore help walkthrough help.

The simon says thing is obvious, it's easy to mimic what they are doing. But half the time my bar hardly moves, even though i'm doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE. What's up with that?

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score

Each action has a level 1-5 and the higher the level the more effective the action is. You can also have some of your creatures follow you to increase the effectiveness of the action.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score

Captain Badass and the Rad Squad (Air Gear reference) were tearing the dance floor up on Brodie 5 (My last name + random number = planet) and they enlisted three 250hp monsters. We never actually killed anything, we just got just about every kind of monster to ally with us. I heard you can't edit your creature once you hit Tribal, so i'm staying in creature until i make my dude perfect.

EDIT: Also, how does one become an omnivore?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score

Can't help you.

I just started playing myself, i'm at the creature stage (Played like an hour last night), it's pretty fun... i guess. I kinda chose herbivore not expecting them to be pussybitches. I should've just gone carnivore and torn shit up. Now i gotta make friends with every ugly looking creature out there.

I was a herbivore, and probably killed 2/3 of the creatures I came accross, befriending the hardcore ones.

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score

EDIT: Also, how does one become an omnivore?
By eating plants and other organisms in the cell stage. You either have to use the proboscis or both of the other 2 mouths. Click on the little button you use to advance to the next stage and it will show if your an omnivore, a herbivore, or a carnivore.

Theroy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com

LOl I got to the space stage in one day in one sitting first time I played and did it on medium. I kicked the ass of all the other tribes it was awesome. then i destroyed every city in the city stage and made them all military bases now I'm not allowed to make friends in space. I used spears. The space stage is gay I think ima quit the game now. It's too big and I cant build an army.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score

not missing much. unless u want to take over earth

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score

Everybody saw that coming.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Spore's actually quite lame

It's immersive, definitely. You'll probably spend a couple of long sessions on this game. However, I guarantee that all of this will be in 1 month, before it gets lost amongst the rest of your games.

Despite all the hype about its innovation, Spore is essentially a linear game. Take out the creation of objects and this sums up Spore:

~ Cell stage: Go eat stuff, poke other cells, eat them, collect shields if you get bored. Oh, and start mating. Or is that reproducing? Ah, screw it.
~ Creature stage: Go round making allies or killing rival species. Develop your creature. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
~ Tribal stage: Rough equivalent of Warcraft III against some guy who rushes Priestess of the Moon and Archers 2 minutes into the game. Simply wait for the tribes to attack you, defeat them then counter-attack and bingo, tribe defeated.
~ Civilization stage - See Tribal stage, but with vehicles.
~ Space stage - immersive, but incredibly repetitive. Often reduced to doing Legend of Zelda-like mini-quests for your allies. Spaceship is either overpowered or underpowered depending on how you do things.

In the end, there are 5 stages and essentially there's only 1-2 main tasks you can do.

Because it's Maxis, it's easy to compare this to The Sims (2). However, the first Sims game was infinitely more interesting. While you don't get to stick horns on your family, the number of things you can do in The Sims is in the thousands. Spore can only match that through object creation.

I really wanted to like this game but unfortunately it's very hard to figure out what's so good about this game besides creating objects. Reflect on it a day after you've made it to the Space stage - what have you actually found fun? Certainly not mashing buttons 1, 2, 3 and 4 killing the 5-6 species grouped together about 50 times.

I've said to ignore the object creator for a reason - this is absolute genius. The way it works is incredible and the ability to share your creations online will take off quite well. With a couple of add-ons or upgrades to Spore, this could see arguably the world's most complete character generator in video gaming.

In a nutshell, I don't know about this game. The hype kind of hurt it quite badly - without the hype, this game would probably go down with the likes of the many, many games with brilliant ideas but terrible execution. It's more of an intriguing rather than entertaining game, which is a huge shame.

That said, this game is great for younger children, in my opinion.

7/10

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Re: Spore's actually quite lame

Wow, thanks for making a fourth thread for this game. Jesus.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
I merged all things Spore into one thread. There's no problem in that, except some of the earlier posts are out of order

GAMEMASTERCHAN

GOW2 for life
Reaction score
For being a gameing forum your thinking is really shallow. Spore was never suposed to have crazy over the top game play. Spore is all about user created content everytime you create something it is uploaded to the net which intern is placed in other players games. Also the simplified editing tools, allow for easy creation of creatures, vehicles, and buldings has never really been done before with such depth. So to rate this game on gameplay alone is an undermineing what the game truely represents, and what it could birth in the future.