The new PS3 slim.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly I do think they are trying to stretch out the life of the PS3.

It has been something like 7 years... way way past time for new hardware.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I actually don't mind them not releasing next year, especially since I doubt that I will be buying it on release. But, to keep releasing iterations of this PS3 is stupid to me. I don't understand the new design as it just looks ugly and it doesn't make much sense. I guess they have decided that it's even cheaper to produce.

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
I dont understand why it would be losing money? The ps2 is still going strong even after yeras that the ps3 been out. And they will keep supporting the ps3 even when the ps4 comes out, they will actually make a profit and have a huge library of games to choose from.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They usually lose money on their latest console because they built them at a loss. People passing the console over completely won't help them get out of the deficit, them moving onto the new one would. If you keep giving your base another option to buy, then they will be able to put off the new purchase that much longer.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
They usually lose money on their latest console because they built them at a loss. People passing the console over completely won't help them get out of the deficit, them moving onto the new one would. If you keep giving your base another option to buy, then they will be able to put off the new purchase that much longer.
They do lose money on the consoles when they are first released... but that is for the first generation of the console. They actually make money on the slims, etc. But it is about much more than that. The slims are much cheaper and allow them to sell at lower price points, bringing in a much larger customer base for all of their games. (Also a good thing for winning them over to playstation side vs. xbox for their next console).

Thinking about it, I always think how expensive the console is until I get it. But after a year, I have spent more money on the games and accessories than I did on the console... by far.

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
Honestly I'm just looking forward to the new PlayStation.

This generation of consoles has been around long enough, the prices have been low enough, and it is time to introduce new power houses.

When Sony, when!?

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They do lose money on the consoles when they are first released... but that is for the first generation of the console. They actually make money on the slims, etc. But it is about much more than that. The slims are much cheaper and allow them to sell at lower price points, bringing in a much larger customer base for all of their games. (Also a good thing for winning them over to playstation side vs. xbox for their next console).

Thinking about it, I always think how expensive the console is until I get it. But after a year, I have spent more money on the games and accessories than I did on the console... by far.
Thanks. I've understood how they make the money back up with the slims, but I don't think it helps to have the slims sell into three and four years into the new console's cycle. You can't keep waiting for the second generation of your console to make money. That's poor business to me.

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
Thanks. I've understood how they make the money back up with the slims, but I don't think it helps to have the slims sell into three and four years into the new console's cycle. You can't keep waiting for the second generation of your console to make money. That's poor business to me.
It has worked with PS2. Every gamer is going to jump over to the new console as soon as they release, but plenty of casuals along with kids will be happy with a ps3 at a cheaper price point, and with this new system they are better off buying new then buying used, which wont help them.

The only thing that seems interesting is the design, seems like you going to have to open to top to insert the disc, manual.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Actually, I knew of a lot of Sony gamers that refused to buy the PS3 when it first came out. Part of them regrets that they missed the BC, but for the most part, they were steadfast in sticking with the PS2 until they didn't have a choice or the PS3 lowered in price. With the game developers continuing to churn out games for the PS2, it made it that much easier.

BOBDOB

Reaction score
I really see no point for another Slim console from Sony. I mean what's the point?! It is clearly a ploy to stretch the life of the PS3 but when you've got games like Watchdog and the new Unreal engine being unveiled why stay in the past. Come on Sony! PS4!

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Well, they didn't need to build another model of the PS3 to extend it's life, they could've just continued to sell the version that they have now. But, I guess this will be even cheaper to make and may even entice a few more people into buying it. I think there is a point when it becomes too cheap and it looks like they have found it.

We'll see how it performs over the long haul.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
They always said that they put enough hardware in the PS3 to last till 2018 I think. This was way back when they first released it. However, the newer PS3's have less hardware in them, they kept downsizing them to reduce the cost. The best PS3 I think is still the original like 700 dollar one. With backwards compatibility, the biggest GB storage and a huge hard drive. So it is hard to tell when a new PS3 will come out.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They are coming out very soon. Did you not read the OP? There is a picture in the article and everything. There will be a new PS3.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with some others. PS3 needs to end its own life and move on to the PS4. But the truth is Sony isn't even trying to target the same audience with this PS3 slim as they are with a PS4 so in all reality they are not competing for R&D dollars within Sony. I'm just tired of these consoles having way way too little power when compared to gaming PCs. It's time we were in the next generation already (well more like 3 years ago we should have been).

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I don't quite understand what you are saying "they aren't competing for the same audience." You don't think that they are trying to keep the PS3 players and move them onto the PS4? Who is the target for the PS4?

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
According to ShackNews, one of the reasons why Sony is pushing out another PS3 is because they really are trying to wait until 2014 to release the PS4. Personally, I don't believe that as I think a lot is riding on Watch Dogs, which will be coming out in 2013 and I think both companies want that game for their next gen console, not the current one. But, it's an interesting story/opinion.

Why a $150 'super slim' PS3 needs to release - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Esperahol

Reaction score
I really don't see the point of introducing new hardware just because. It is a waste of money and quite frankly there is nothing to gain for anyone.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
I regret I didn't get the original $600 PS3 that had the Emotion Engine and was backwards compatible. Each version of the PS3 they come out with is cheaper in price but also cuts corners and isn't as good.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah, but the chances of you still having that $600 investment would be slim to none. Most of them have died many a death until they couldn't die anymore.