The DotA Thread! [Basic Strats and Hero/Item talk]

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hellwolf_36 said:
Considering you have an excuse for everything and a knack of making heroes look like Rocket Science, not bad :).

Note my sarcasm
I also note your ability to not make much sense

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Basic Strategy in DotA: Kill; try not to get killed.

It really depends on what role/hero you can/want to play, obviously.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Faunus said:
I also note your ability to not make much sense
Sorry, thought you were morbidgolem -_-;

morbidgolem

Member!
Reaction score
-_- You could at least spell my name right when insulting me.

And Dream Walker, I was talking about Renzokuken.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Renzokuken said:
i DO know how to micro and regardless of how good you guys think you are at DotA, microing can easily be done by anyone.
:rolleyes

practice makes perfect

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
morbidgolem said:
This guy is a noob how do you expect him to know what "kill stealing" or "dagons" are?
Or "creeping" or "micro"?
Does he even know where the secret shop is?
Stealing a kill means only hitting the creep when it is on very low health and you know you are going to kill it with that kill with that single hit.
Don't go near the enemy tower in early game because it's very strong early game.
When you wanna kill an enemy hero, what you do is you go into a lane from behind them and kill them then. There is no general strategy so it would help if you told us exactly with which hero you wanted help with in specific.
In my post, it's quite obvious that Dagon is an item, and Renzokuken is a Starcraft player. He should know some basic terms that carry over between RTS games.*

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
exactly .

ChrisH36

Reaction score
morbidgolem said:
This guy is a noob how do you expect him to know what "kill stealing" or "dagons" are?
Stealing a kill means only hitting the creep when it is on very low health and you know you are going to kill it with that kill with that single hit.
Don't go near the enemy tower in early game because it's very strong early game.
When you wanna kill an enemy hero, what you do is you go into a lane from behind them and kill them then. There is no general strategy so it would help if you told us exactly with which hero you wanted help with in specific.
You know what, I am really getting ticked at you. Renzokuken is just asking for help and you don't smack people noob on the face just because they want a little help. There are general strategies for each hero, some are pretty obvious if you know how to play the game. He has played wc3 for a while so he knows what creeping and micro is, plus he has also been on the forums as long as you have. Either you treat people with respect and help them with thier problem or you be quiet and say nothing.

To regards with the towers, damage them as much as you can and run back when the "cannon fodder" is down to like 1 or 2 units or your hero is being attacked. Its better to have a tower damaged than a hero dead isn't it?

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
morbidgolem said:
Kill stealing is self-explanatory. Dagon is a ghey item and i hate it. Having access to another nuke is retarted. Creeping is the act of following the creeps and gaining money/experience by killing other creeps with the aid of your own creeps (And also taking out towers and such with the creeps).

I've played 5 years of Starcraft, i know how to micro-manage, especially only one unit. Alot more fun when you're controlling two heroes (Only if a team-mate leaves).

And of course there's a general strategy, i'm not bothered enough to list my favourite heroes, i just play the game and choose suitable items, but the way i go about that is different to others, that's the general strategy i'm talking about.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Renzokuken said:
Kill stealing is self-explanatory. Dagon is a ghey item and i hate it. Having access to another nuke is retarted. Creeping is the act of following the creeps and gaining money/experience by killing other creeps with the aid of your own creeps (And also taking out towers and such with the creeps).

I've played 5 years of Starcraft, i know how to micro-manage, especially only one unit. Alot more fun when you're controlling two heroes (Only if a team-mate leaves).

And of course there's a general strategy, i'm not bothered enough to list my favourite heroes, i just play the game and choose suitable items, but the way i go about that is different to others, that's the general strategy i'm talking about.
It's not retarded for heroes without a decent source of damage, such as the Necrolyte. A Level 1 Dagon combined with Aghanim's Scepter with the Necrolyte can take off at least 1000 health (Dagon-Reaper's Scythe-Aghanim's Scepter), and a Level 3 Reaper's Scythe takes off about 1600 health. And that's an unupgraded Dagon.

Trouble is, heroes with no decent sources of spell damage are rubbish in general. -.-;

And for the towers, I also suggest that if you are a ranged hero, usually, a Ghoul or Treant will be alive to attack the Tower. When it is on the verge of dying (i.e. it will take 2 hits more), retreat a little so that you are behind the Necromancer or Druid of the Talon, so the Tower will focus on the creep. Then attack it once and run (the creep takes 2 hits before dying). If you are a melee hero, it's a little harder, so when the creep the Tower is attacking is on the verge of dying, retreat behind the remaining Ghouls or Treants (melee heroes are more likely to have 3 creeps with them because of their nature of attacking) so the focus of the Tower falls upon the creeps. Then repeat. Of course, it doesn't always work. If a Tower has you in focus and it has a lot of health remaining, run. Far. Then come back with a new set of creeps. If a Tower will fall in 5 hits or something, it's fine to take the damage from the Tower in return for the gold bonus the Tower gives you.*

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Dagons is also useful on Lion in the right hands. He doesn't have many good damaging attacks, although you could be better off with Aghanim's and using a souped up FoD.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
In the right hands, Dagons is good for anything.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
cough pugna
boo am
meh lion

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Sorry but I am getting a little sick of these Dota threads. A guy asks for help and we should probably lead the discussion into that direction not going off and discussing other things. Can we try to help him out properly with what he needs? If necessary, Renzo should state what heroes he needs help with.

For the real question is:

Renzokuken said:
What do you guys do?
I don't really want to close these threads because they go out of control.]

What I do is often look at the attribute of the hero and what he is lacking. Like Gondar, I try to get him Butterfly to increase the effectiveness of his criticals. Perserverance later for the mana and life recovery. The better it is, the less time you would have running from combat.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
i get mkb and pwn. which leds to me being fed, and the game is over :(

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i know this sounds noob but i just got tft also and have been TRYING to play dota 6.12 or whatever the newest version is. It seems like i always pwnd and no one ever helps me out with strats. I really wanna know how you get/make level 4 recipes for weapons or w/e. Also wtf is the secret shop? Help meh im noooob. plz!

morbidgolem

Member!
Reaction score
Hellwolf_36 said:
You know what, I am really getting ticked at you. Renzokuken is just asking for help and you don't smack people noob on the face just because they want a little help. There are general strategies for each hero, some are pretty obvious if you know how to play the game. He has played wc3 for a while so he knows what creeping and micro is, plus he has also been on the forums as long as you have. Either you treat people with respect and help them with thier problem or you be quiet and say nothing.
Wtf... he said he's noob, I wasn't calling him n00b.
He said he is n00b so I thought that, maybe, in this crazy world of ours that he is, in fact, n00b. But I'll take it back for Renzokuken's sake as he's probably changed his mind about his skills since his first post.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
was that a pm? lol
@renzokuken: so do you need help with any heroes or not?

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
i need helps with teh anti mage