The Amazon thread

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
You can count on me to find and post the latest information about the new Amazon. The only valid clue I have so far, is that at least one bow is being dropped at the beginning of the gameplay video. Screenshot will follow soon.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
*Other classes are still not fully decided upon by Blizzard, but obvious choices for launch or expansion are some kind of Archer and Sorceror.*

Diablo 3: What We Know So Far
by Nick Breckon Jun 30, 2008 4:47pm CST

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
man all these archetypes are coming back into the game. i have an intense dislike for the pally lol. amazons pissed me off too. i hope they make the arrow thing infiinite. going to town to refil it was such a drag.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I don't think they'll make it infinite. They'll probably give you a quiver or something to hold a ****load of arrows.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea like they did in Champions: Return to Arms with the Ranger. You can only hold a limted supply of arrows (based on your overall carrying capacity), but there's a skill that lets you summon a set number of arrows. Leveling up the skill increases how many you can summon in one go.

That way, you can renew arrows at any time, but you're still limited by MP and bag space. Quivers were also infinitely stackable, but that's another story. Bottom line is, I think such a skill could be useful.

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
yeah that sounds kinda good.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
01-07-2008, 21:17
Sokar Rostau

*The Lore and Environment presentation makes special mention of Skovos and it's culture - Skovos is the main island from which the Amazons and Rogues came from (and they are not female only, any more than only teenage girls can be mages or old men with mullets can be necromancers). They said that Skovos will not be visited in D3, so why did they have to go into so much detail about the lore of the place? Because some version of the Amazon/Rogue will be in D3.*

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I could see them taking the Amazon title off of it and just making it Rogue. It's about the same thing, but it'd be a much more male-friendly name. Yes I realize it's not a female-only club, but by convention more people associate the idea of an Amazon as being female. It's like Blizzard decided to name a male character Sally. "What, it's a boy's name!"

Also, I get the sneaking suspicion that you'll be able to have blonde characters, even if the default model isn't blonde. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a level of character customization that's found in most fantasy RPGs, but hasn't been present in Diablo as of yet.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea like they did in Champions: Return to Arms with the Ranger. You can only hold a limted supply of arrows (based on your overall carrying capacity), but there's a skill that lets you summon a set number of arrows. Leveling up the skill increases how many you can summon in one go.

That way, you can renew arrows at any time, but you're still limited by MP and bag space. Quivers were also infinitely stackable, but that's another story. Bottom line is, I think such a skill could be useful.
only problem with that is that no one would use the skill

saving skills for attack power > free arrows

LordXAvernus

Reaction score
They really need to bring back the amazon in some form or another...a character strictly based on the bow. The Amazon seemed to be the most popular class during the year or so i played Diablo 2...so i cant imagine them taking it out!

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
only problem with that is that no one would use the skill

saving skills for attack power > free arrows
12 points in magic arrow was for the hardcore players. :hxc

LordXAvernus said:
They really need to bring back the amazon in some form or another...a character strictly based on the bow. The Amazon seemed to be the most popular class during the year or so i played Diablo 2...so i cant imagine them taking it out!
.09 Era

I personally hope they get rid of the amazon and hardcore mode. Take that Gally.

Edit: I take that back you're a good person I love you.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
There is no Diablo without a blonde with a bow;)

On a more serious note, there is no crowd control without a ranged attacker and the Amazon was always one of the most popular classes, along with the Palladin and the Sorc (Necros and Druids, on the other hand, were the least favorite). I am willing to bet that there will be some kind of Archer class in DIII.

As for Hardcore, the official answer of Blizzard when asked about it on June 28 was "We don't see why not".

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Of course theres going to be a ranged physical attacker. Pretty much every RPG or game like this has the three archtypes; Warrior, Magic user, Bow/Ranged person.

To think this game would be somehow different is stupid.

Also, Dragnskull is retarded for thinking that no one would use the skill for more arrows. That's just plain dumb to think that, expecially when you could just (assuming they use the D2 like trees) dump 1 point into it and forget about it until you actually need arrows. Hell, I'd use it all the time, make videos of it and post them on here just to spite you.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Seriously, with the speed of mana regeneration available in D2 and presumably D3, one point into Summon Arrows would be all you need to hang out somewhere and replenish your quiver. It was one of the most useful skills the Ranger had in Champions: RtA.

Would it be a primary skill that you level all to hell? No...but why on Earth would an archer leave home without it? To compensate for this in Champions, arrows ended up having very low purchase prices and 0 sellback...so before anyone starts thinking "Oh goodie, Mana for Gold!", that'd probably be implemented as well.

And I'm not debating the inclusion of a Ranged class, I'm just not sure it'd be designated "The Amazon." Ranger or Rogue is far more likely, and if you follow Diablo tradition it'll probably be Rogue.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
There is no Diablo without a blonde with a bow;)

On a more serious note, there is no crowd control without a ranged attacker and the Amazon was always one of the most popular classes, along with the Palladin and the Sorc (Necros and Druids, on the other hand, were the least favorite). I am willing to bet that there will be some kind of Archer class in DIII.

As for Hardcore, the official answer of Blizzard when asked about it on June 28 was "We don't see why not".
So Diablo didn't exist then? ;P

The Rogue has red hair.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The DII Rogues have red hair, but the Amazons are all blonde.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
I'd love to play a rouge.