The 2008 US Presidential Election

N[U]TS

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a question on a serious issue for young americans. Have any of the candidates talked of social security reform!? Probably not because they dont have to worry about it. THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE! My money is going into social security and when I finally become of age to tap into it.... NOTHING!?

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It looks like Ron Paul has raised almost four million today from donations. Do you think the media will give him a chance now?

Also NTS, I believe Ron Paul has. :)

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I have a question on a serious issue for young americans. Have any of the candidates talked of social security reform!? Probably not because they dont have to worry about it. THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE! My money is going into social security and when I finally become of age to tap into it.... NOTHING!?
This is one of my top 3 priorities for president. I think it's BS that I should still have to put into a system that I KNOW I WON'T SEE A DIME OF UNLESS IT'S FIXED.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well has anyone else spoken on the issue other than Ron Paul? I've missed the last couple debates and I've only seen highlights.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly not not one of our presidents have targeted healthcare as an issue. This really discruntles me because it effects people like me the most.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
I would love for him to win, but the odds aren't looking so well in his favor. I am a moderate, and I feel both sides have some people that I like.

N[U]TS

Reaction score
It looks like Ron Paul has raised almost four million today from donations. Do you think the media will give him a chance now?

Also NTS, I believe Ron Paul has. :)

Ok so first off he says he wants to enable young people to get out of the system.... ok..... need a little more of an explanation. Yes I understand it was a debate but still you just cant say that and just leave it hanging especially when social security is an issue most young americans want to be fixed. Then he goes on about how the cost of living is going up and how the worth of the dollar is going down because of goverment spending..... um so that would be an incorrect statement -- he is blameing inflation. "An economic condition whereby prices for consumer goods rise, eroding purchasing power" Then he says that if we were to cut spending that would some how correct social security.... Yea Im sure.

The goverment shouldnt be able to even touch social security. It should be left for those who retire plain and simple.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Ok so first off he says he wants to enable young people to get out of the system.... ok..... need a little more of an explanation. Yes I understand it was a debate but still you just cant say that and just leave it hanging especially when social security is an issue most young americans want to be fixed.
Here is the basic summary of his idea. I can go into a bit more detail if you have any questions because I've read a good amount of what he's written about the topic.

Nuts said:
Then he goes on about how the cost of living is going up and how the worth of the dollar is going down because of goverment spending..... um so that would be an incorrect statement -- he is blameing inflation. "An economic condition whereby prices for consumer goods rise, eroding purchasing power"
The government funds the spending of money they don't have (deficit spending) by printing money in the Federal Reserve System. This increases the amount of money in circulation. More money in circulation causes inflation. Inflation causes the worth of the dollar to go down. Thus, government spending is causing inflation. Thus, government spending is driving down the worth of the dollar down.

Nuts said:
Then he says that if we were to cut spending that would some how correct social security.... Yea Im sure.
If we cut spending it means we have more money to spend. If we have more money to spend it can be used elsewhere, such as Social Security. That means, by cutting spending we can fund the Social Security benefits already promised.

Nuts said:
The goverment shouldnt be able to even touch social security. It should be left for those who retire plain and simple.
I'm not sure if you're saying the government should completely abolish it or that the government shouldn't touch the Social Security fund. For the first, the response is what happens to the people who have become dependent on it? Ron Paul suggests we should transition out (young workers get out and people who were promised benefits still get them). Or if you state don't touch the funds, the expenditures for Social Security is growing at an unsustainable rate, everything else the same.

N[U]TS

Reaction score
Here is the basic summary of his idea. I can go into a bit more detail if you have any questions because I've read a good amount of what he's written about the topic.
I would just like a little more detail as to how he would allow young americans to get out of it.

The government funds the spending of money they don't have (deficit spending) by printing money in the Federal Reserve System. This increases the amount of money in circulation. More money in circulation causes inflation. Inflation causes the worth of the dollar to go down. Thus, government spending is causing inflation. Thus, government spending is driving down the worth of the dollar down
yes, I know this but what he desribed in the debated was inflation google it as I did.

If we cut spending it means we have more money to spend. If we have more money to spend it can be used elsewhere, such as Social Security. That means, by cutting spending we can fund the Social Security benefits already promised.
What I ment is do you trust the goverment enough that they are actually going to put that money they cut back on spending into social security. I am a person who does not put a whole lot of trust in goverment.

I'm not sure if you're saying the government should completely abolish it or that the government shouldn't touch the Social Security fund. For the first, the response is what happens to the people who have become dependent on it? Ron Paul suggests we should transition out (young workers get out and people who were promised benefits still get them). Or if you state don't touch the funds, the expenditures for Social Security is growing at an unsustainable rate, everything else the same.
I was saying the goverment should not touch social security.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
I would just like a little more detail as to how he would allow young americans to get out of it.
They just opt out - they don't pay into the system and don't get any benefits in the future.

Nuts said:
yes, I know this but what he desribed in the debated was inflation google it as I did.
No one is saying he didn't - the connection you aren't making is that government spending at its current level is causing the inflation.

Nuts said:
What I ment is do you trust the goverment enough that they are actually going to put that money they cut back on spending into social security. I am a person who does not put a whole lot of trust in goverment.
I do with Ron Paul as president.

Nuts said:
I was saying the goverment should not touch social security.
That's exactly what you said the first time that I didn't understand the intention behind it. I still don't understand what you're trying to say.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Ok so first off he says he wants to enable young people to get out of the system.... ok..... need a little more of an explanation. Yes I understand it was a debate but still you just cant say that and just leave it hanging especially when social security is an issue most young americans want to be fixed. Then he goes on about how the cost of living is going up and how the worth of the dollar is going down because of goverment spending..... um so that would be an incorrect statement -- he is blameing inflation. "An economic condition whereby prices for consumer goods rise, eroding purchasing power" Then he says that if we were to cut spending that would some how correct social security.... Yea Im sure.

Basically what Tipsy has stated, I've been gone. :(

N[U]TS

Reaction score
Tipsy said:
I'm not sure if you're saying the government should completely abolish it or that the government shouldn't touch the Social Security fund.
Nuts said:
I was saying the goverment should not touch social security
Im pretty sure I answerd your question. Unless you wanted an explination and my statement is self explanitory.

sundaeGURL

Reaction score
For the GOP to win this coming November 2008, the American people will need to forget or ignore the past almost eight years now, of George W. Bush and that's going to require a miracle. After what I looking their speeches in pollclash?. I cannot believe that the American people will forget all the scandals, corruption, Iraq, the treatment of our veterans,etc. for the miracle to happen.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm voting for mccain because america deserves mccain like a whiny kid deserves a spanking

cellulariceteas

Member!
Reaction score
If the past 8 years aren't reason enough for me to switch parties and vote Obama then it was PALIN that was the icing on the cake for me.

0 foreign policy experience on her part and she can't even take tough questions from reporters.

I feel bad for McCain also because I voted for him in 2000 and was excited for his nomination for the presidency until he picked Palin and started siding with Bush on a number of his failed policies.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
stick it to bush. vote in the guy who probably knows more about fried chicken than executive and foreign policy .

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
If the past 8 years aren't reason enough for me to switch parties and vote Obama then it was PALIN that was the icing on the cake for me.

0 foreign policy experience on her part and she can't even take tough questions from reporters.

I feel bad for McCain also because I voted for him in 2000 and was excited for his nomination for the presidency until he picked Palin and started siding with Bush on a number of his failed policies.
If McCain gets in, nothing will change. He's just Bush in a different skin.