The 2008 US Presidential Election

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
The list you made was actually a list that would lead me into thinking Fred Thompson would be a good president - unfortunately there are other factors that make me think he'd be a terrible president.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
didn't huckabee put in his bid to run? i hear good things about him...

no democrats please. Clinton seems the front runner(although it might not matter, a lot of people hate her...plenty of democrats) i heard support for edwards is growing and william richardson(?). Basically anyone supported by george soros is out in my book.

EDIT: i'm putting my support behind Mike Huckabee...recently i heard bill clinton supported him so kinda iffy but...

Teh_Pwner

Member!
Reaction score
Your parents are idiots if they let you have a ******* gun when you were 3.
Most ppl do get em around that age.

So you are against a law making crimes worse when they are racially motivated?
Example: If a black guy kills your mom because she was white and for that reason only you wouldn't want him to serve a longer sentence?
No... why would I hate him anymore if he killed her because she was white or because he wanted to steal her KFC? I wouldn't, no reason to, makes no sense.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Clinton was the only president in a VERY long time who had above a 50% approval rating when he got out of office. Even after the scandal people still liked him. I will probably put my democratic vote towards obama, even though I know hillary is going to win the party's nomination. What Clinton should do is put Gore as her VP again, then she would win by a landslide. However if she puts Obama as her VP I feel she has a VERY strong chance of winning over Guiliani. The issue here is whether we still want the party that has brought us into two wars, increased our spending by billions, denied money to poor children's health insurance, and further divided the american people into the white house again. I think America has seen enough, even though they may not be 100% behind clinton, not very many people want people associated with the bush administration in the white house anymore.

Edit @ Teh Pwner: You're right, we all need guns to protect us from the indians and people that constantly rob us and raid our houses......I've been alive for 21 years and have lived in Los Angeles and some of the most dangerous parts of Santa Ana and have NEVER needed a gun. So unless you like killing innocent creatures for "fun" then there is reason to have a gun.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
k so she wants to legalize illegals...thats gonna alienate a LOT of people

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Clinton was the only president in a VERY long time who had above a 50% approval rating when he got out of office. Even after the scandal people still liked him. I will probably put my democratic vote towards obama, even though I know hillary is going to win the party's nomination. What Clinton should do is put Gore as her VP again, then she would win by a landslide. However if she puts Obama as her VP I feel she has a VERY strong chance of winning over Guiliani. The issue here is whether we still want the party that has brought us into two wars, increased our spending by billions, denied money to poor children's health insurance, and further divided the american people into the white house again. I think America has seen enough, even though they may not be 100% behind clinton, not very many people want people associated with the bush administration in the white house anymore.
Yes, such principled Democrats...
Top Democratic candidates won't vow full Iraq pullout by 2013
Bush Quietly Advising Hillary Clinton, Top Democrats

Whatever happened to withdrawing? There's another reason for me to stick with Ron Paul ([tipsy=happy]Plus his 5 million raised in the third quarter might actually lead him to not be ignored...5 million being 5 times what Huckabee raised as well.[/happy]). I'd prefer the principle of someone whose been sticking against the war since the very beginning of it and didn't vote for it like Clinton.

As for denying children health care, it's one thing to say you support children having health care, it's another to say you support SCHIP. It's a horrid program. And I suppose this is a good idea too?

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Whatever happened to withdrawing? There's another reason for me to stick with Ron Paul ([tipsy=happy]Plus his 5 million raised in the third quarter might actually lead him to not be ignored...5 million being 5 times what Huckabee raised as well.[/happy]). I'd prefer the principle of someone whose been sticking against the war since the very beginning of it and didn't vote for it like Clinton.
Definitely agreed, the only Republican I would vote for would be Ron Paul, and as for a Democrat I would vote for one that has opposed the war from the beginning. I think Obama wouldn't be a bad president and still has a chance against Hilary.
As for denying children health care, it's one thing to say you support children having health care, it's another to say you support SCHIP. It's a horrid program. And I suppose this is a good idea too?
There is absolutely zero reason that children should not have health care, hopefully a good plan though.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero reason that children should not have health care, hopefully a good plan though.
you have to look at WHO is getting the healthcare...not to mention hilary wants to legalize illegals now. Too much governmental control

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you have to look at WHO is getting the healthcare...not to mention hilary wants to legalize illegals now. Too much governmental control
Who is getting the health care then? Also, how would you deal with illegal immigration then as deportation and a fence certainly won't work.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
I believe the plan would have allowed children of families that make up to 80,000 to receive funding from this bill...

because they've legalized illegal immigrants like 5 times in the last 20 years(more like twice but still) and last time they said it would have been the last time they(congress) would legalized illegal immigrants. its a difficult issue...you don't think securing the borders have reduced illegal immigration?

N[U]TS

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Voting for Clinton because:

1. She's a Clinton
2. She's a she
Sadly, this is how most voting americans cast their vote. "Oh Im gonna vote for her because she is a woman" or "Hey, this guy toked it up back in the day" I get a real kick out of it.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I believe the plan would have allowed children of families that make up to 80,000 to receive funding from this bill...

because they've legalized illegal immigrants like 5 times in the last 20 years(more like twice but still) and last time they said it would have been the last time they(congress) would legalized illegal immigrants. its a difficult issue...you don't think securing the borders have reduced illegal immigration?
The boarders will never be secure, and even if they were that's not the issue. There are millions of illegal immigrants already in the country, and they're not going to vanish. What would you do with these people, try to deport them or try to give them a path to legal immigrant status?

As for the children, that doesn't bother me. Even if a family makes that amount in a year it doesn't necessarily mean their children will have private health insurance. Even if they can afford it, they may be bum parents or in some type of financial trouble.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the people here need a SERIOUS reality check.

First of all....Our privatized medical system we have right now has FAILED. That's right...absolutely failed. SO why should we give them another chance to **** us over? I'm for universalized medicine, though it should only be for U.S citizens who can have documentation. I am also for removing illegal immigrants from our schools. Personally I think half of the problem with these candidates is that none of them are taking a hard enough line on immigration. You take away free health care/free schooling and the immigrants go bye bye.

I also wonder if anybody here has actually paid for their own health insurance? Well i do. It's ****ing expensive unless you work for the government or it is provided with your job.

Also, did you know that the secret service shares evidence and such to both the upcoming presidential candidates? yeah. They want the president not to walk in and be bombarded with all of this information.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
The boarders will never be secure, and even if they were that's not the issue. There are millions of illegal immigrants already in the country, and they're not going to vanish. What would you do with these people, try to deport them or try to give them a path to legal immigrant status?

As for the children, that doesn't bother me. Even if a family makes that amount in a year it doesn't necessarily mean their children will have private health insurance. Even if they can afford it, they may be bum parents or in some type of financial trouble.
i'm sure there are ways other than legalizing them to deal with the situation...still, it should be something up to voters wouldn't you agree?

Hmm i think i understand. I have kaiser and it never seemed to be too expensive...

if i worked full time i'd get medical benefits, i'll try and grab documentation and see what i'd receive. I don't want more government control.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm sure there are ways other than legalizing them to deal with the situation...still, it should be something up to voters wouldn't you agree?

Hmm i think i understand. I have kaiser and it never seemed to be too expensive...

if i worked full time i'd get medical benefits, i'll try and grab documentation and see what i'd receive. I don't want more government control.
Of course it's up to voters, but the quality of health insurance is currently a joke, they'll do anything not to pay the bill. Before you go into the "it's a business" argument, well I'm glad some people trust their health with corporate America, but I'd rather trust the doctors. Though that doesn't matter as the insurance is for children, the ones who can't afford it or don't have sensical parents.

On illegal immigration, it's not going to end, and not allowing education and medical won't stop them from jumping the border. If anything it'll breed ignorant, unhealthy immigrants that will just further degrade the population. The benefits from coming to the United States of America are numerous, it's not just for social programs.

Lets face it, even if these immigrants didn't take one cent from the government it wouldn't stop anyone from protesting against them.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score

Well you have seen where NO government control has gotten us with healthcare.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Well you have seen where NO government control has gotten us with healthcare.
Please explain how exactly our health care can be described as 'private'? For every dollar spent on health care, 45% of it is spent by the government. The reason the system we have now is set up as it is because of government. The whole third-party payment system is ineffective and it only still in use because of tax breaks given when using the system. Medicare and Medicaid are terrible systems that are full of waste, and a good 60% of the total increase in cost over the last 60 years comes from those programs - from government involvement in health care. The only thing we've gotten with government regulation and involvement so far is a more expensive, bureaucratic, and unpopular health care system. The reason why our health care right now is in shambles is because of government. What we need is radical change - a private health care system.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize that if the government eliminated private health care that the cost of EVERYTHING would go down. The government can move/transport medical supplies alot more effeciently and cost effectively then private corporations can.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
You do realize that if the government eliminated private health care that the cost of EVERYTHING would go down. The government can move/transport medical supplies alot more effeciently and cost effectively then private corporations can.
what makes you think that?