The 2008 US Presidential Election

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
To summarize the news to this point, the frontrunners are Clinton (D), Obama (D), Edwards (D), McCain (R), Giuliani (R), and maybe Gingrich (R) (though he's a special case).

For me, the important issues for the upcoming election are serious immigration reform, fixing the spending problem in the government (and thus the budget deficits), stopping this massive unchecked buildup of power in the executive branch (patriot act, warentless wiretaps, etc), and as always abortion.

The only problem is everyone seems to be campaigning on Iraq. I just have one question for people who use Iraq to vote on issues - what is the biggest threat to the United States? Terrorists? Problems associated with staying in Iraq? I tell you this plain and simple - there is only one thing (barring a world war or something of the sort) that will be able to bring down the United States and that is us. The erosion of liberties that has been associated with this whole sense of 'community' outweigh individualism.

Want to complain about money being spent in Iraq? Over half of our budget is spent solely on entitlements; let's fix these overly bureaucratic and failing programs first. Our tax code is quite simply overcomplicated and requires millions of dollars spent every year just to file taxes. The federal government's attempts to make education better by getting themselves involved and forcing the bureaucracy to grow even more. The dollar is constantly inflating and the government is printing more and more money to spend like there's no tomorrow.

I really don't care what a candidates position on Iraq is if these problems aren't addressed. Clinton, Edwards, and Giuliani are all for more spending on the federal level. Ever since McCain started his campaign he's been pandering to every person no matter how crazy they are (*cough* Jerry Falwell *cough*) and I have lost all respect for the man. Gingrich I can respect even though I completely disagree with him because he was pretty much behind 'Contract with America' that listed specific policies he would implement (though I disagree with a lot of them). And Obama is nothing but someone who spouts messages of hope without actually have a specific policy to deliver the hope. With me refusing to vote for any of the frontrunners I doubt I'll be happy in 2008.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to vote for anybody it would either be between Obama (D) or Rudolf Guiliani. Both are highly respected public figures and are people you can tell have a brain and know how to speak intelligently.

As for the the issues with the public school system:

Me being a member of a family who has thrived off of public education and has first hand seen the waste that goes on in our school districts can only offer one single solution to our problem.
Firstly, we need to find a more effecient way to educate people who don't speak english (ESL) that isn't as wasteful as our current system. The way to remedy this is to decrease the amount of time students are spent in ESL classes (Average of about 5 years) and improve our paperwork processes. If we can reduce the time/money spent to teach people english (Better teachers helps too) than we can essentially relieve millions of dollars in funds that is set aside for that field and spend it on something more effecient.

Secondly, we need to get lower the amount "seasonal workers" that the districts use and lower their pay significantly. As we all know there are people who come in during the summer/winter sessions who get paid approximately $15 an hour to basic labor. Although the need for manual labor is high, it's not as high as paying $15 an hour and we CERTAINLY shouldn't be using them so we can use all of the budget which was allocated to that field. If you don't know what I am talking about basically if the school district doesn't use the funds that are set aside for that area and there is a surplus it is immediately cut to the amount used that year.

Thirdly, we need to lower the amount of money that we pay administrators. Although Administrators spend long hour days at their job educating and running a school they don't deserve 100K plus salaries. I think roughly around 75k would be more appropriate considering the large medical benefits which are given to them by the government.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Personally, I want Obama to win and then I can crack jokes about how Barack "Borat" Hussein "Saddam" Obama "Osama" won the Presidency.

On a more serious note, I have not heard anything of the main candidates other than Obama and Clinton. I hate Clinton - I don't know why, I just do. I find her annoying. And I have little faith in Obama upholding his promises for some reason. Personally, I think Glowpole should run for President.

Just as long as the next President promises to keep bombs out of the Tube stations in London and not cause too many economical problems - that is fine with me.*

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
we need a president that is willing to work for the country, not let the country work for them.

im not in the US right now so i wouldnt know about them but im sure you guys do

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
As for the the issues with the public school system:
Is one of your biggest voting issues that there should be a federal mandate to hire less seasonal workers at public schools...?

Definitely not voting in '08. I voted for Kerry in '04 and I'm still trying to shake the feeling of being a total whore.

T3h Sorrow

"Best ***s on the forum"
Reaction score
Personally, I want Obama to win and then I can crack jokes about how Barack "Borat" Hussein "Saddam" Obama "Osama" won the Presidency.

On a more serious note, I have not heard anything of the main candidates other than Obama and Clinton. I hate Clinton - I don't know why, I just do. I find her annoying. And I have little faith in Obama upholding his promises for some reason. Personally, I think Glowpole should run for President.

Just as long as the next President promises to keep bombs out of the Tube stations in London and not cause too many economical problems - that is fine with me.*

Glowpole is already running for god......

and haha@ the bold i made

/agreed @ LB

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Is one of your biggest voting issues that there should be a federal mandate to hire less seasonal workers at public schools...?

Definitely not voting in '08. I voted for Kerry in '04 and I'm still trying to shake the feeling of being a total whore.
No...It's just one of the many issues that need to be remedied that haven't been yet.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
I dislike Clinton, and I hate Obama. Either way....Clinton will use her powers at will and she will win. Period. She's teh evol.
Seriously though, she will win. No doubt in my mind. I'm not voting for her, but then again this is the military we are talking about. Its probably easier to fill out an IRS tax form than it is to get the paper work to get an absentee ballot. =\

MJStephens

Member!
Reaction score
Can't vote yet (17), but anyone who is willing to get us out of Iraq strictly due to the fact that we have no ****ing RIGHT or NEED to be there. **** them; let them do what they want as long as they, as a whole country outside of those ****ed up rebels, are not attacking us. Yes, 9/11 was a tragedy, but it was just the actions of a bunch of insane religious (Surprised?) zealot idiots who thought that was their gateway to "Heaven." It is over. Done. Our president, of ALL people, should stop living in the past (Daddy issues?) and seeking something as savage as revenge / pride.

We have the KKK; they have the Al Qaeda / other groups. Let it ****ing rest. Take some of that massive amount of money spent and put it towards defense instead of that pointless war (Where are the results? Anyone?) if we, as America, really feel unsafe due to this "terrorist threat."

Also, I would want anyone who would lower the level of control the government has on us. As stated above, unwarranted wiretaps, anyone who would support the disgusting actions of Abu Ghraib (BUSH; I would understand this if the war was justified and there was an actual threat, but it is NOT / there is none worth this level of retaliation.), and, on a lesser realistic level, someone who would be more liberal when it comes to freedom of use of substances. (Drugs. **** ya'll, if people would vow to be responsible in their usage and not affect anyone else negativity I see no reason you should not be able to buy cocaine / marijuana at the corner store.)

Basically, I want the Libertarian party to win. ****ing fat chance with the way our system is set up. As in winner-takes-all bullshit. We should take a lesson from the French and not have that shit. Representatives based on PERCENTAGES OF THE VOTES instead of this stuff. As in, if your party gets %5 of the votes, you get 5% of the total representative seats. Then your party can get their message out and next year you might get 10% or whatever. Our system is literally set up so this cannot happen and the odds of anyone outside of D / R not winning are like non-existent, how pathetic is that.

So yeah, anyone who is willing to change the laws / rules that need to be changed inorder to make the voting system of this country equal instead of favoring the chance of them getting in the next election, as in odds are you will not see D / R in power for the next 50 ****ing years, and work for the BETTER OF THE COUNTRY instead of their own agenda, has my vote.

Powerhungry emotionally driven ****s. All of them.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Bret, your ignorance is hilarious. I love how you assume 100% of your arguments.
I'm glad I bring a smile to your face.

I'll put down money that Clinton will win. I already gave my opinion but I see you didn't; or at least not on topic. :tsk: tisk

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
No...It's just one of the many issues that need to be remedied that haven't been yet.
Oh, I agree that public schools are ****ed. It's just that it's more of a states issue. Personally I think that Bush showed why the feds shouldn't get involved with public schools.
I'll put down money that Clinton will win. I already gave my opinion but I see you didn't; or at least not on topic.
You think the first minority president will be someone who has alienated her party by refusing to take a strong stance on one of the biggest voting issues, and who is despised by almost 100% of the opposition party? Seems like a pretty big gamble to be taking.

Death_phantom

Reaction score
I'd loved too see that everyone is not being drowned by factual biliation. I am in America, even though these very issues has me wishing to seek an asylum. much must be done within insight a president might say be reaped history. Seek what is not now look into the past as a reference. Please continue as you where.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Really haven't seen anyone that's really sticking out of the pack, but from what I've seen Ron Paul seems to be the more genuine.

I'll need to see many debates, and interviews before I'm even close to deciding who I'll support.

Note: I'm not a liberal or a conservative, though I lean more on the liberal side.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Really haven't seen anyone that's really sticking out of the pack, but from what I've seen Ron Paul seems to be the more genuine.

I'll need to see many debates, and interviews before I'm even close to deciding who I'll support.

Note: I'm not a liberal or a conservative, though I lean more on the liberal side.
I've been looking into Ron Paul a lot as well, and he's the person I think I would vote for in the primary if it was today. From what I've read about him he seems to be a politician that someone can actually trust because he really has stuck to his principles whether it is his record of not once voting for tax increases or his being one of the few Republicans to vote against the invasion in Iraq.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I agree that public schools are ****ed. It's just that it's more of a states issue. Personally I think that Bush showed why the feds shouldn't get involved with public schools.

You think the first minority president will be someone who has alienated her party by refusing to take a strong stance on one of the biggest voting issues, and who is despised by almost 100% of the opposition party? Seems like a pretty big gamble to be taking.

Bush's plan to give school vouchers is a joke....and illegal.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Bush's plan to give school vouchers is a joke....and illegal.
Even calling it a voucher program is an insult to vouchers. What has Bush done for education? No Child Left Behind? That's the most liberal school reform that has been passed in our lifetime. What can fix our schools? Apparently he things it's more federal bureaucracy and control.