Teir 1 1/2

Mud

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
alright ive been playing TFT now since it came out...and to be perfectly honest ive noticed some major things about each race's tier 1 1/2 units...

by tier 1 1/2 units i mean:
NE -- hunts
HU -- riflemen
ORC -- HHs
UD -- fiends

first off...if you notice all of the first icons for each race (25 wins) is that tier 1 1/2 unit

also in TFT all four are extremly upgraded from ROC...making them the blockbuster unit now in RT games

every NE player gets hunts...EVERY UD player gets fiends...riflemen (while not as poplar as the other 3) are still used 100% more than they were...and HHs have become immediatly more uselfull with beserk and lowered cost

these units are fast to get and usually fairly expensive but require little time to start massing

we are seeing them used in rushes a lot more...and worst of all, in my opinion, they are now able to make-or-break games

are tier 3 units such as knights, taurens, chims, and aboms slowly becoming too slow and therefore useless???

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
I hardly think so. Tier 3 units will always hold a special place in our hearts. Although Tier 3 units are NOT for rushing, if you are CCing then you should always use Teir 3 units a good amount.

But what you say about them being used more now is true. I see those units a lot. They are strong, they are ranged, and they are armored like mad. If you don't buy these units you should just shoot yourself in the foot. Unless you are playing in RT games, where your friend is getting a massed Tier 1.5 unit. Blizzard noticed that they were being skipped over by the masses in ROC and they fixed that problem.

Electroduende9

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeah most strategies seem to encorporate these units- heads/docs, hunts/hippos, or just mass fiends/gunners all are proven strategies, although heads/docs works infinitly better at tier 3 with berzerker upgrade

even though all 4 are extremely useful, i think orc got the short end of the stick :'( - trolls can be overlooked because grunts have over twice the HP and only slightly less damage, but attack faster... oh well... i still love heads and docs

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I do not agree with you on this. alot of times i see differently.

Mainly in certain matchups, like undead vs undead. in the time period your talking about, fiends will get raped by ghouls. unless upgraded and stuff. one thing i learned is undead use pretty much all of its units.

On that, I barely ever see riflemen used, and hunts are used alot by newbs. hunts are unarmored, so archers microed right can take put hunts. simple things like this change everything.

CertS

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
50% of my army is still grunts grunts have no flaws its just a tank with decent dmg. HH on the other hand are so fragile a few hits from a hunt(which has normal dmg bs with glaive bounce) is dead. thx ill take my 800 hp grunts at tier 2 then 420 hp berserkers at tier 3

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
You are so right, Grunts have great HP and at tier 2 they have an extra 100. berzerkers are those units you need to micro and all that which can be very boring. soemtimes I like to just get grunts and rush. who wants to always micro?

spiderman546

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i agree with certs buddy old pal on this one. orc is truly a force not to be taken lightly anymore. on classic orc were used only for there air. get FS harsss while teching, 2nd hero tech, harass somemore, mass air, very rarely there is casters or tauren anymore. but now on FT they given them some really good stuff like certs said

ZeroX

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im not sure if this is how it used to be, but grunts now have heavy armor, making them worthless against archers in rushes. that gets on my nerves cuz grunts r supposed to rape archers without a problem, and here i am having a bitch of a time killin archers with grunts.

JBWT3

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pan a group of Archers will not take on Hunts... sorry there is no way. You said because they are unarmored teh arches own them.... well last time i checked normal attacks do extra damage to Archers to. And those hunts have about triple the life of an archer and attack faster, and will have there glaives bounce and mix in some immolation or Fan of knives and your archers are dead, plus Hunts are like 2x faster than archers so there is no running. I think your argument that hunts are for noobs is completely wrong since most top NE players use Hunts. With your comment it seemed like you have never used NE, which you probably havent and you have no idea on how to fight a NE NE Mirror match. And every time you talk about stuff like... Ghouls rape fiends blah blah or something else, its almost as if you never include heroes into the mix. A Death knight will keep the fiends from dying quicky and a Cryptlord with impale will drop those ghouls faster than you can even VAMPIRIC AURA. Plus how can you say that Tier 1 1/2 i guss that is what you call it, is not used as much. AND you said Riflemen are barely used... well duh they arent used against Undead considering thats prob. all you play, have you ever played HU with other races where Rifle men are used considerably??? And most undead do not use there entire army in a 1v1 game. mostly ghouls or statues or fiends, some will mix necros. The only time ud will use more units is if they have to adapt, say against Berzerk HH where they need Normal damge they might go aboms, of if they see Tauren get some banshees. Other than that UD. are just like everyone else in that they stick to tier 1-2 through most the game and adapt when neccesary. I think your post was totally off and i think many will agree with my statements.