T~TvP; metal help

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TvP; metal help

Hey, I know that the boxer strategy of putting tanks/mines/vultures/turrets to kill protoss works. I use it, but it works only if there are more dragoons than zealots. Sometimes my opponent, knowing that I am using this strat, masses zealots (zeal bombs and normal ground) and dark templars with a few dragoons. I, with more tanks than vultures, get owned.

Now, if I know he's going for more zealots/dark, how should I deal with this? Seems like there's an obvious answer, but I'm looking for a very detailed counter with explanations on why it works.

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
um... more vults and mines? tanks on the field get owned by zealots... need mines to keep em back and vults for when the get passed the mines. and if zlots get too close dont be afraid to unseige a few tanks to stop the tanks from shooting eachother and unseiged tanks are fairly good at cose combat.

im assuming this is pretty early game... the only other things you have available are marines bats and med.. which suck against toss. maybe your getting too many tanks without enuogh support? dso you ever use unseiged tanks? they can be very helpful unseiged. i used to think tanks were only good when seiged... they really arent. they are good at both depending on the situation

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by amrtin77
um... more vults and mines?
Think I should still put some tanks or are they a waste?

Also, don't you think clumping mines together (what grouped vultures tend to do) are a waste? A protoss player can send one zeal and get rid of all of them.

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i dont clump mines... maybe 2 close are fine.. but yes, they can just send one zealot and waste all your mines. spread them across your front. dont overspread though, cuz if the zlots get in the middle of a seiged tank line all the tanks bust eachother up :p

you definately need tanks. your problem may be how you position them and if you ever unseige or run away.. im honestly not very good at terran but im telling you what i do know.

aphextwin

Reaction score
more liek.... more scvs to repair, more vults for everything else.........

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
going on vult raids would help your chances so he can't mass well.
do something to his eco.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well, apparently it isn't that simple. otherwise the original poster wouldn't be asking now would he?

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
well, apparently it isn't that simple. otherwise the original poster wouldn't be asking now would he?
Yes, smart...

I plan on vulture raiding, and getting more of them in general...

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Your problem is likely that he's outmassing you so kill some probes.

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When playing TvP, tell me what your goals are. I mean, I know I should hunt down some probes with vultures, but what else? How do you know which tactic to use?

I've seen so many replays and tactics that I'm so freaking confused, lol. I don't know whether I should go 1fact/fast expo, or 2fact/vulture raid, etc.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Fill up an entire dropship with firebats, and wait till the Zealots are already hitting your tanks then unload. They do full damage to light armored units, which is 16, + splash. Very impressive.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier just to have your firebats behind the tanks and then wait for the Zealots to come, then stim? Because if you unload, they come out one at a time, you'd lose a few and it'd take more time. I reckon just having them behind the tanks is easier.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wish ran would bat/tank me. Without vults/spider mines to worry about, it becomes alot easier to take him down.

MannerTurret

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
continually drop his expansions while macroing.. your best friend in TvP are vultures for every tank you make you should make another 2-3 vultures.