T~Are Valks really worth using?

truepurple

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just did another test. Against a battle ship a single goliath defeated the battle ship noticeably faster then a single valkyrie

Ubuu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
forum.bodybuilding.com
Originally posted by truepurple
You use the offensively to take out a enemies air fire power. I figured out the problem with my math. Goliath have 2 missiles each that most both do 20e. So for the same cost goliath have twice as much fire power as valkyrie. And alot more hp and armor when added together. Also represent more targets for your enemy to hit. And 5 goliath could spit out 10 missle to 2 valkyries 16 concerning number of targets hit.

Of course valkyre are much faster and airborne and do splash damage. Still. They should at least have some kind of ground attack or normal attack to make them more worthwhile.

Feel free to ignore me though. I suck at real time resource management games anyways. Mostly because I get overwhelmed with all there is to keep track of and micromanage.
In beta version of Broodwar, valks did have this spell called "Afterburner", its sorta like Marines with stimpack. Blizzard removed it because people were being cheap with them.

truepurple

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How were they being cheap with it? They didnt consider boosting the power of valkyries to compensate for the loss?

I wish they would remove stim packs and just boost the power and speed of marines a little(not quite to stim pack level) that way it would be one less thing for terran's to micromanage. Or make stimpacks optionally autocast when faced with a enemy..

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You use the offensively to take out a enemies air fire power. I figured out the problem with my math. Goliath have 2 missiles each that most both do 20e.
I doubt that BOTH missiles have 20e damage.. that'd be 40 damage for a goliath air

So for the same cost goliath have twice as much fire power as valkyrie. And alot more hp and armor when added together. Also represent more targets for your enemy to hit. And 5 goliath could spit out 10 missle to 2 valkyries 16 concerning number of targets hit.
Obviously goliaths will destroy valks... valks are support units.

Of course valkyre are much faster and airborne and do splash damage. Still. They should at least have some kind of ground attack or normal attack to make them more worthwhile.

Feel free to ignore me though. I suck at real time resource management games anyways. Mostly because I get overwhelmed with all there is to keep track of and micromanage.
Let's just conclude that both are really good...

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How were they being cheap with it? They didnt consider boosting the power of valkyries to compensate for the loss?

I wish they would remove stim packs and just boost the power and speed of marines a little(not quite to stim pack level) that way it would be one less thing for terran's to micromanage. Or make stimpacks optionally autocast when faced with a enemy..
How you ask? Using afterburner to kill overlords then use it to retreat. Sounds like a cheese tactic to me.

truepurple

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How is attack and retreat a cheese tactic? Sounds like a basic tactic to me. More antiair is the cure,

Take guardians that have such range that they can float over water or space and attack from a distance. Thats not cheese. If the stim made them too fast they could make it so it doesn't boost speed as well

They really have neutered the valkyrie. They should have given it something in replace of the lost stim. A zerg devourer is a better unit for almost the same cost. A single Goliath does more damage for a fifth of the cost in both minerals and gas and has a ground attack as well!

I don't question they have there use. But that use is very limited. Mostly catching zerg overlords that run I suppose. And handling lots of large fliers packed close. Almost everything else can be handled by a battle ship or a goliath.

K0r34n Jja Shik

Member!
Reaction score
Here, valks rock.

Against fully upgraded things, they rock less.

Wouldn't a large unit, (like a carrier) recieve more damage? If so, i see no reason a fully upgraded valk would own carriers. I dunno. let me test it.

Ubuu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
forum.bodybuilding.com
They really have neutered the valkyrie. They should have given it something in replace of the lost stim. A zerg devourer is a better unit for almost the same cost. A single Goliath does more damage for a fifth of the cost in both minerals and gas and has a ground attack as well!
Actually, Devourers are tough units compared to goliaths. Goliaths can take 1/2 to full damage from some strong units while devourers will receive 1/4 damage from others units weaker than it.

truepurple

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Which is really my point Ubuu. Valkryie, when compared to almost every antiair unit equivalent you can think of, aren't very good. Thats not to say they don't come in use sometimes.

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
To get air superiority, valks are needed... Valks own wraiths.

Morisune

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ok then i just played a game massing with valks and now i have to say that they r very useful in air-to-air battle :doped stupid me

ohh and how do u get your own avatars?¿?¿

Æ¥¶ôþÞÿñ§¤º¼·•à绫÷Ø×ø

Morisune

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ohh yeah id have to say that the missle effects are very cool!

plz tell me how to get a different avatar!

Im currently DX3daL on battle.net (with sc), so if im not on this...
get to me there:fencing

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Go to profile editing.. upload your avatar and choose from there...

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Originally posted by SK-ThaBest
Valks are only good if you get a lot and have plenty of support for them. Otherwise they are useless.
Did that in those 7v1c Insane Comp maps (the one where the enemy has like heroes that can be beaten by normal units.)

Got 10 Valks and 24 Bcs and used them to take the base and it worked out pretty well. Since the air dies fast from valks and bcs are there to stop ground and scourges that fly into their faces.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
valks are kool..but not really need often...they so damn fast..good for hunting ovies and scouting the map....it is suicidal to use valks against bc...unless u have bc of ur own and using valk as backup..everything else is ok

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
One of the cons of valks is that if there is too much enemies on the field, they are usually the ones who fire blanks first, there is no telling how much damage they could have done. :usad

Ued_colonial

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you play the campian see how valk **** uup zerg air. UIse then if a zerg player goes mass air.