T~Are Valks really worth using?

Aeris22

Member!
Reaction score
valks have one problem they suck for one on one air battles since they do low lv splash damage its hard to take out one ship at a time but great for fleets personaly i build a few valks to take out any intercpeter that try to get in my base

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
carriers do get owned by valks, if u aim them and not let hem fire the interceptors
U cant center fire with valks, they will fire at 8 different targets anyway.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
yes, but if u aim to a carrier, they will shoot at the carriers. Just like psi storm, spalsh dmg also.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
No, if u check out the map editor u can see that the unit statistics say "max hits: 8", valks dont deal splash damage.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by AKA-47
No, if u check out the map editor u can see that the unit statistics say "max hits: 8", valks dont deal splash damage.
Heh, I hate to have to disprove you man, but I also found this on Blizzard's site...

"The Valkyrie employs an air-to-air attack that issues a volley of eight small missiles at its target. The missiles impact not only on their target, but also damage any enemy units within a 3 x 3 matrix area. Each missile does a small amount of splash damage in this target area."

I never usually try to find ways of saying you're wrong... you're the most knowledgable members on the forums... but I always thought they did do splash damage too.:confused:

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Ok, maybe they do deal splash damage, my bad. But they dont fire all 8 missiles at one target, they fire 8 missiles on a small area. If there are 8 units in the area, each target will get hit by one missile. U can see this in a game since all targets die at the same time.

Aiek

Member!
Reaction score
Worth using? Definately. I wouldn't count on them as a major part of your army however. I usually build 3-5 of them and use them either for base defense or eliminating scourge threats to my wraith.

Also, I have to agree with AKA-47...when your valks battle a swarm of mutas, wraiths etc - they all die nearly exactly the same time.

U-238

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i wouldn't say worthless b-cause the valks i know the make 6 dmg but if u make a drop and the other player uses air defence likr mutalisks or devourers the valks will attack the (obiusly) but they attack really fast so they r not worthless :) :) :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Originally posted by AKA-47
Ok, maybe they do deal splash damage, my bad. But they dont fire all 8 missiles at one target, they fire 8 missiles on a small area. If there are 8 units in the area, each target will get hit by one missile. U can see this in a game since all targets die at the same time.

Same happens when u use tanks, reavers, bats, lurkers, templars, archons, corsairs.

But I agree, they fire at 8 fellers but also spalsh

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
No, i have never seen a tank center fire at a lurker and killing both that lurker and another one at the exact same time. Splash damage is a % of the total damage dealt by the unit, a tank's splash damage isn't 70 damage its more like 20-30.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
A tank would do the exact same dmg to a lurk and one stacked-burrowed under it, wouldnt it?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
ah i see what u mean.

I was talking of multi units, like, if u have 6 tanks, they kill hydras all the same time...

my mistake

Aeris22

Member!
Reaction score
splash damage wasnt made to kill mutliple units at once it was made to weaken a force as a whole

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renzokuken
A tank would do the exact same dmg to a lurk and one stacked-burrowed under it, wouldnt it?
what the heck do u mean im lost

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Because the tank aims at one of the lurkers, so naturally the lurker that takes the hit will get hurt the most.