Super Unit or Weapon? Yes or No?

Should the Terran and Zerg have a super weapon like the Mother Ship?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my point, that isn't even single player. It's a pre-alpha demo.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
I voted no. Why?

Nulear launch detected!

Don't worry I'm Terran

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
All this theorycrafting well before the game is actually made.

Interesting people used to talk about countering carrs with lockdown, nukes, emp, but I've never played a terran who made any of that. Interesting, indeed.

Then again, they might actually make nukes, lockdown,a nd EMP viable in this game.

foodang

Member!
Reaction score
nah i think the toss can hav that mothership and terran and zerg get other stuff like less costing units.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score

Interesting people used to talk about countering carrs with lockdown, nukes, emp, but I've never played a terran who made any of that. Interesting, indeed.

Then again, they might actually make nukes, lockdown,a nd EMP viable in this game.
I rarely used Lockdown or EMP, but Nukes kick ass. Things like Lockdown and EMP are better for specific missions that require such things to move ahead.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score

One replay, I think SlayerS_BoxeR vs. Red[NaDa], where SlayerS_BoxeR was getting thrashed, then he managed to somehow Lockdown 9 Carriers in 1 second and then take them all out. He still lost, but it was freaking crazy.*

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I rarely used Lockdown or EMP, but Nukes kick ass. Things like Lockdown and EMP are better for specific missions that require such things to move ahead.
lockdown is key for human opponents, as is EMP and lockdown for Protoss. Are you kidding me, do you know useful EMP is in dealing with protoss, any of their units? One blast, bam no shields. Archons are finished almost immediately because they lose a sheild and only have 10 hp. My god man, Lockdown completely neutralizes a metal unit.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I know this, but I've never had to strategize like that. Generally it would take more time to cast an EMP than to kill the unit outright. Same with lockdown.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
To Mike:

Perhaps, its the maps I've played, but I almost never see terran use EMP or lockdaown against protoss. EMP is incredibly overrated. I suppose if I still had my CD-ROM(switch to DVD-ROM since the move), I could prove it to you.

Archons suck vs terran with or without EMP so thats a moot point.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Seriously, a band of 6-8 Marines (which is almost ALWAYS on-hand) > an archon in no time flat.

Shields go down faster than HP, don't know why, but generally Protoss Shields aren't a problem to get through, and then the Archon goes bamf. Really, Protoss units' shields aren't that big of a threat in my opinion...they get cut through plenty easy.

As for EMP's other attribute, taking out all energy in the blast radius, it's almost useless for that too unless you can manage a sneak attack on a group of motionless Battlecruisers or something. Generally when you launch an EMP at a moving unit they get out of range pretty quick, unless you aim ahead. As well, generally in the time it takes to get hit by the EMP, they can trigger whatever energy ability they'd be robbed of anyways.

As for lockdown, it'd be a lot better if it was easier to micro. When you've got a group of ghosts and you hit lockdown, they all use up their energy casting on the same unit. It's uber lame, and one of the few things I liked about Starcraft64 better than PC version. Casting abilities from a group were done with only one of the selecteds casting it per click. The other thing I liked from SC64 was that workers would automatically start mining when they were built.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well, considering about 12 Goliaths took out 8 Carriers, I think that's a fair deal.

Yeah, he got beaten, but he didn't go down without a fight, true.*

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Seriously, a band of 6-8 Marines (which is almost ALWAYS on-hand) > an archon in no time flat.
I don't know what games you have been playing but when I play I can sure as hell kill Marines with my Archons. It was a example. Sides there are more games than a one on one.

Shields go down faster than HP, don't know why, but generally Protoss Shields aren't a problem to get through, and then the Archon goes bam. Really, Protoss units' shields aren't that big of a threat in my opinion...they get cut through plenty easy.
It isn't a matter of convenience. You who is talking about going around with enough time and resources to get nukes obviously isn't play games with deep strategic elements in it.

As for lockdown, it'd be a lot better if it was easier to micro.
I can't believe you used the excuse that it isn't good because you can't micro with it.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I don't know what games you have been playing but when I play I can sure as hell kill Marines with my Archons. It was a example. Sides there are more games than a one on one.

It isn't a matter of convenience. You who is talking about going around with enough time and resources to get nukes obviously isn't play games with deep strategic elements in it.

I can't believe you used the excuse that it isn't good because you can't micro with it.
It's the stuff to select that makes it hard to micro. Stacked Carriers are a nightmare to Lockdown (but not impossible, as the video I posted proves).

Nukes only appear in games between top players to finish off the last bits of resolve. Generally when the opponent is beaten but not finished, but has 12 Carriers in his last base, for example. A quick distraction plus a nuclear launch tends to end games this way.*

Kaldaris

Reaction score
Website
www.sundren.org

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
For those who think Lockdown sucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s6UG1HQ5qE

That proves nothing. I can show you a game where he uses it against Nal_ Ra and gets spanked.

Just because Boxer used it back in the day, doesn't mean its good. The game has evolved since then. The next thing you'll tell me that nukes are good because he used it in a staged game.

No good toss will let his carrs get lockdown. Tosses build obs for spider mines anyway. One of a few things will happen if I see ghosts:

A) Stop building carrs and rape you on the ground.
B) Fly my carrs(over terrain or water) away from your ghosts raping one of your bases. Then your ghosts will have to chase them through my ground forces getting them killed.

Carrs can fly and are faster.

I suppose you can pull it off against those who are starting the game.
I, myself, am not so great at this game and still do the things I've said. I haven't played in almost 2 years and beat you if tried going ghosts instead of the normal tvp strategy.