Super Unit or Weapon? Yes or No?

Should the Terran and Zerg have a super weapon like the Mother Ship?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
Seeing as how the Protoss have one, the Mother Ship.

Should the Terran and Zerg have a counterpart to it?

Discuss and give a reason!

I vote yes.

Why?

I love having a super weapon/unit I can deploy late game, at a good cost of resources. Take Age of Mythology: Titans for example, late game at a heavy cost and a long time to research, the Titan unit is powerful when backed up by a massive army, although you can only get one Titan per game. Same can be said for the super weapons in C&C Generals, they cost a HIGH amount of resources and time to construct and use.

I love the idea behind the Mother Ship, and I want to see the Terrans and Zerg have something like it, some super unit that you can only control ONE of at a HIGH cost because of the power it brings to the battle field.

I'm a hardcore RTS player, and I love building massive armies and having a good old battle to see who comes out on top. Add a super unit/weapon into the mix and it is even more fun to watch, especially when the other dude hasn't gotten his and he wastes all his resources building a bigger army to take it out.

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Protoss do have a super weapon.

I believe the Terran already have on: the nukes.

As for the Zerg, they have mass. And mass is crippling!

T

Terek

Blizzard said they will ballance things out with units, but the concept won't be the same as the mothership, for example, there might be some new cheap but strong unit for the zerg, instead of the high-costing and unique morthership of the protoss or some multi use unit for Terran instead of the Mothership, I'd actually prefer the races to be very diferent, but still balanced, so keep it goin' blizz : - )

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score

nukes arent special... easy to counter

zerg's massed units seem useless against mothership becuase of the earth cracker...

i jus wish they took out mothership... looks like a shitty unit anyways

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
It isn't a super weapon. It doesnt even touch C&C. It's spells are so limited to the situation and between air and ground attack, you arn't going to do the greatest amount you could if you had a nuke from the brother hood of Nod.

Terran Nukes have been upgraded, and you can visibly see when it is going to hit becuase of the big red symbol. Easy to avoid.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
The mothership is obviously not going to be able to be a super weapon because on its own its going to get destroyed by a medium sized army, sure it can use a blackhole and planet cracker but its going to run out of energy within the first spell and have to wait a short time to regen enough for the next spell, like the yamato cannon. You could never repeatedly fire it but you could fire it once and it'd be up again in a short time than you fire it again and it will take longer. I assume the mothership isn't going to last long once its used all its energy.

Which is why it is simply a support unit.

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
It depends on your definition of a super weapon. If the Mothership is good enough that people will race towards teching to it quickly instead of actually fighting and harassing early on, then I think it's pretty much a super weapon. it is at least a hero type unit. I'm very pleased Blizzard said they've no inclination of adding similar units to the Terran and Zerg arsenals. Super weapons/ hero units promote rushing to such technologies on both sides creating an artificial sense of strategy and skill. It least it doesn't look like StarCraft II will have false ways of ending the game with stupid crap like nuclear winters. Having one powerful unit with a small array of powerful spells instead of having to utilize multiple units effectively really detracts from the gameplay StarCraft II should inherit from StarCraft.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
It isn't a super weapon. It doesnt even touch C&C. It's spells are so limited to the situation and between air and ground attack, you arn't going to do the greatest amount you could if you had a nuke from the brother hood of Nod.

Terran Nukes have been upgraded, and you can visibly see when it is going to hit becuase of the big red symbol. Easy to avoid.
Too easy to avoid, imo. There's a huge freaking flare in there.

It did look like too much, so it's probably for the demo. I hope the little red dot will continue. It was pretty much what was required, really.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I like the more visible flare. When you have 4 bases here and there on the map, it's damn near impossible to hunt down that tiny little dot, get a detector over there, and kill the ghost in the 10 seconds(?) before that bitch impacts.

It also looks like they cut down the time from launch to impact by a short margin, as well. Make it more obvious where it hits, but give slightly less time to react. I like it.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed it was a significantly shorter amount of time between the announcing of the launch and the impact.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score

That pretty much sums it up.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I hope the mothership is for single player only.(i.e. the campaign) I'd much rather stick to carriers. They're already replacing sairs.:lame

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed it was a significantly shorter amount of time between the announcing of the launch and the impact.
Not only that, but unless there was some descrepancy for the presentation, it appeared that the nuke wasn't hitting the cloaked Ghosts or the burrowed Zerglings. That could just be a fluke though to make for a good ending.

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
Not only that, but unless there was some descrepancy for the presentation, it appeared that the nuke wasn't hitting the cloaked Ghosts or the burrowed Zerglings. That could just be a fluke though to make for a good ending.
Have you forgotten how StarCraft does maps!?

Its called a trigger dude, I've done the same type of stuff when making Movie Maps.

There are two ways they probably did it, if the map making process in SC2 is anything remotely like SC original...

1. The Ghosts and Lings were set to Allied status and were invincible. Then once the nukes were triggered and hit, a trigger disabled their invincibility and the ghosts energy ran out just as they where moving. Then the burrowed lings switched to enemy status and up they poped to kill the ghosts.

2. Triggers! Nukes hit, ghosts were spawned cloaked with 1-3 energy points. Another trigger made the ghosts say what they did, then another trigger spawned burrowed lings and they popped up and 86ed the ghosts and where ordered to move to the locations they moved to. Then (and I'm hoping the triggers you get with SC2's map program has a LOT more crap you can play with) they were ordered to morph into banelings, and the morph time was obviously increased so they would stay in "morphing" long enough for the trailer to finish.

Ahh, the joys of being a map maker, you can generally figure out how they did the tricks rather easy if you know the game well enough, like I do. :p

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
You do realize it was a demo. You do realize despite that fact there was enough time from the point of impact to walk the cloaked ghost from his nuke position to the middle, but probably unlikely.

Have you forgotten how StarCraft does maps!?

Its called a trigger dude, I've done the same type of stuff when making Movie Maps.

There are two ways they probably did it, if the map making process in SC2 is anything remotely like SC original...
It isn't, and it probably won't be. It'll be more like WCIII if Blizzard is going to put in the advanced triggers and flexibility of a partly programing based trigger map. If SCII has a shitty striped down SC map editor compared to wCIII edito, I'm going to be pissed.

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
It isn't, and it probably won't be. It'll be more like WCIII if Blizzard is going to put in the advanced triggers and flexibility of a partly programing based trigger map. If SCII has a shitty striped down SC map editor compared to wCIII edito, I'm going to be pissed.
In any case, triggers of some kind were used to pull it off. Plain and simple right? Right.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
In any case, triggers of some kind were used to pull it off. Plain and simple right? Right.
Yeah, when you put it that way.

BTW. I figure Protoss are the perfect races for a "super weapon". their units are the high cost, high payout type. They are the perfect race to add a unit that will be the holy grail of noobs looking for a quick win (i.e. carrier massing etc.) Pure power is protoss, a super weapon fits.

The reason I think Terran is fine, is they already have a nuke which is pretty devastating. I'm also thinking their collective unit base will give them a perfect advantage in balance against pretty much everything against both races.

Zerg on the other hand is the antithesis of the idea of a super weapon. They are quick, fast and cheap, no room for a high cost "super weapon". Zerg relies on a lot of units quick, no room to waste time on a large unit single super power unit.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, since they made it work in some way or another, yeah, it's a trigger.

If it involves, in one way or another, the SC 2 Map Editor, I very much doubt it. Since the game isn't even in Alpha itself, the Map Editor shouldn't even be created. That could have been done with the SC Map Editor, or may it was only done with simple programing in the game. It might not even have anything like a map editor involved.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The map editors are usuaaly based on the tools used to create the single player missions, and such. At least in terms of fundamentals.