Strat vs Protoss carriers?

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
Without YC, BCs are chasing carriers while the carriers are killing them with interceptors. BCs lack the range of the carrier so it's not difficult to kill BCs outside their range while retreating from them. Sure, you can use YC, but it takes 2 kill carriers and BCs don't always have 150 mana. Trust me, it's quite possible to miss what you aim for. Especially since EMP doesn't target a unit, it's easy to just move out the way. It's difficult to actually lead your SV, since carriers could suddenly change direction or stop. Besides, using EMP on carriers is a waste of time since BCs still can't reach them.
True, I never thought of that. I learned something again. As for EMP missing, I'm still a little skeptical. Maybe you can show me a replay or two with lots of these examples... And with at least 2 SVs, I think at least one of them should hit.

If the battlecruisers can't hit the carriers due to good micro, I'd probably attack the interceptors...I think they hit them despite their high speed...

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You won't shoot down the interceptors fast enough to make a difference. There are like 96 interceptors(I'm assuming 12 carriers). Your 12 BCs will get shot down before you have a chance to do so. Each interceptor is doing 3 damage. 96 times 3 is 288 so it takes 2 strafes to kill a BC. At the rate the interceptors are traveling at, it won't be long to take down the BCs. To make matters worse, interceptors repair once they return to the carrier. Yeah, if your able to clone EMP, then yeah, it should hit.

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
You won't shoot down the interceptors fast enough to make a difference. There are like 96 interceptors(I'm assuming 12 carriers). Your 12 BCs will get shot down before you have a chance to do so. Each interceptor is doing 3 damage. 96 times 3 is 288 so it takes 2 strafes to kill a BC. At the rate the interceptors are traveling at, it won't be long to take down the BCs. To make matters worse, interceptors repair once they return to the carrier. Yeah, if your able to clone EMP, then yeah, it should hit.
Wow, another thing I learned. Thank you for teaching me that interceptors become fully repaired once they come back out again. Is there another interesting fact I should know?

Just curious, how are you able to focus fire while moving and evading BCs? Do you focus fire then just move them?

Ubuu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
forum.bodybuilding.com
Originally posted by Skyhr
Wow, another thing I learned. Thank you for teaching me that interceptors become fully repaired once they come back out again. Is there another interesting fact I should know?

Just curious, how are you able to focus fire while moving and evading BCs? Do you focus fire then just move them?
It's more like, if they starts attacking your interceptors, you press 'S' and the interceptors will return to the carriers and will come back out fully repaired and attack again.

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Ubuu
It's more like, if they starts attacking your interceptors, you press 'S' and the interceptors will return to the carriers and will come back out fully repaired and attack again.
So in case this actually happens (BCs vs Carrs) I'd have to attack the carriers, see if they can actually micro, attack interceptors and attack the carriers when they stop to repair... I know it sounds horribly impractical but with the yamato, the carrier fleet can reduced by half the number of BCs...

Or better yet, attack the interceptors with half my cruisers and attack the carriers with the rest...

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
BCs don't always have 150 mana and because that is alot, this becomes highly theortical. Toss theorycraft out the window. Your better off preventing toss from going carriers, period. Wraiths are much better than BCs if you can keep them cloaked. If he throws in sairs, you can kiss your wraiths good bye. Carriers outmanuver goliaths so they don't always work. Without lockdown, terrans are completely helpless against microed carriers and there are plenty of problems associated with lockdown that I've discussed in another thread.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
with carriers against bc...u target, then move away..the interceptors will still fire at the bc until the carrier goes out of range...then u have to go back and retarget it again and retreat...

Against carriers, do what boxer does, i find it effective..since i do it most of time too....Use medics to optic flare the observers and send in cloaked wraiths..use dropship to sneak the medic behind the carriers and scan...flare each one and immediately send in wraiths...usually works..unless u have horrible micro..

Or, if the toss player is a stupid and doesn't have any observers, u can just send in cloaked wriath

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Tiger_shark
with carriers against bc...u target, then move away..the interceptors will still fire at the bc until the carrier goes out of range...then u have to go back and retarget it again and retreat...

Against carriers, do what boxer does, i find it effective..since i do it most of time too....Use medics to optic flare the observers and send in cloaked wraiths..use dropship to sneak the medic behind the carriers and scan...flare each one and immediately send in wraiths...usually works..unless u have horrible micro..

Or, if the toss player is a stupid and doesn't have any observers, u can just send in cloaked wriath
I thought boxer got goliaths... guess I was wrong...
I should try that, but I haven't played a protoss player that's gotten carriers before...

Optical range is 9, which is 1 cell larger than the attack range of carriers...

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
carriers OUTMANUVER goliaths so it's the other way around. goliaths aren't a real threat to carriers.

-MatriX-

R{S}T
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Valkyries for the carriers. Get like twice as much. I'm not particularly an expert at Terran, but that would be my strategy. For the cannons, Nuke them or use a couple of siege tanks to get by.

[GLOW=BLUE]- The_Matrix_Reloaded[/GLOW]

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
valks against carriers? are you serious? You people just throw in anything and wonder why you get flamed. But, if you're just learning, just don't say anything.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Matrix, I'm not upset with you or anything. It's just that you won't believe what people are saying as counters to carriers. Like I said, they just anything.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
valks aren't that bad against carriers....if ur opponent sees like 12...they will retreat....they will not kill them...but may buy u needed time for stuff like wraiths and opticflare..boxer style