Strat vs Protoss carriers?

green-reaper

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
....Or use wraiths,seince- emp wave....and block off the expending area's so they dont get enough mins to make 100
carriers and use the expending areas for your own good!!

DigitalElite

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
fishdynastyproducts.deviantART.com
I say use Ghosts Lockdown

forgotmypasswd

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
ghost + lockdown is a really cheap way to go money wise, but you need to be able to lockdown each individual carrier. also make sure you have something to kill em after locking down, unless you nuke.

emp and anything that attacks air is good.
If you are playing a no rush money map, go emp +3-4 sci vessels. If you are playing a real map :) then dont let him get carriers. Spidermine the entraces and tank the cannons. Get wraiths or goliaths to deal with air attacking tanks. you can also use ghosts to lock any protoss air unit that attaks tanks. If its still early game, just use good ole marines. Bring an scv to build missle turrents by his base. That takes care of DT's.

((Apocolypse))

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Carriers suck. If your opponent has enough time to mass an army of them in LT, you suck. To kill a carrier, simply make four goliaths for every one carrier he has (Four is an overestimate, I've seen in done in three). Also, another good idea that was stated above is to lock down the carriers then proceed to nuke them, leaving him devastated and without an army. Then all you have to do is march in and wait for him to say, "Uncle"...

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Carrier's hit and run make short work of goliaths. Cliffing carriers make short work of gollies since the carriers will only be dealing with a few of them at one time. Toss can easily hide stargates and contain you while teching to cars.

Savenor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If the enemy is able to build Carriers, and a lot of them, combine EMP Shockwave with Ghost Lockdowns and a wave or two of Valkyries.

To take a base with lots of cannons, do either a Siege Push and then a Marine/Medic Combo later on or hit-and-run tactics with many ground and air units. Nuke the cliffs of his base several times and drop a sizable ground force to take out anything else. A group of Wraiths with Valkyries can mop up any air units quickly as well.

EDIT: Marine/Medics against Carriers doesn't work well. Even if the enemy isn't paying attention, Carriers will take out the Marines quicker than the Medics can heal. They just aren't strong enough. :confused:

forgotmypasswd

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
If he is stupid, he will send carriers without detection=wraith ownage. IF smart he'll bring an obs. Wraths +sci vessel + goliaths will own. Find the observer and kill, then ravage wtih wraiths (be sure to emp).

Kingsirmixalot

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well to me this will help make about 15 bc then a few goliaths and u should be able to take them out and having a few ghost is good for lockdown and nukes and while they attack u can destroy the cannons with nukes

Kingsirmixalot

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
bcs are your answer about 12 bc and some goliaths will take the carriers out and while they attack u can put a few on lockdown and attack there base nuke there cannons and get some tanks and some bats and marines in there base and take them out

kingman91

Reaction score
Website
www.goecities.com
nukes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of coures you could just build a mass of tanks cruisers and wraiths and attack

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just don't let him get so many carriers in the first place...

- Don't let him contain you... use tanks and vultures or something
- Don't let him expand or kill his expos, so that his production slows
- To counter cannons, use tanks on bottom of cliffs outside of cannon range and use a flying building (I think it has more sight than a dropship and definately more hp) to kill them. Then just push and go in.
-I personally think goliaths are the best here...Defend your tanks from carriers using goliaths... making wraiths means you'd have to make starports like factories and that's going to cost money and time...
-Surround tanks with turrets and mines so that they can't be killed...

Carriers are easy to counter.. You don't REALLY have to go for nukes and DEFINATELY not Battlecruisers..he'd have killed you by then...(unless you started getting them since the beginning)

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Because BCs suck against carriers, themselves(lack of range and speed). Carriers simply can outmanuver gollies so it doesn't always work. Wraiths are good against carriers only. But that's it. Kill toss expos. Every other counter is theorycraft.

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think goliaths are pretty good against carriers, because they're cheaper and smaller thus easier to mass (assuming player has lots of economy during middle/late game) So unless carriers are well managed (cliffing or something) goliaths can destroy carriers, because it gives the carriers more targets to destroy... But both units have the same attack range...8

BCs aren't that good unless they have yamato... and I personally think BC would kick carriers' ass...(no offense to protoss users, so hear me out)

[Unupgraded]

- BCs have 3 armor by default so interceptor only do 3 damage. With 4 interceptors, that's only 12... If protoss has the must-have 8 interceptor upgrade, the cruisers probably have yamato...

-BCs, on the other hand, do 25 damage. With 4 armor, carriers receive 21 damage.

-BCs have more hp than carriers, thus BCs would win.

[Both Fully Upgraded]

-With weapon upgrades for carriers, they now do 72 damage - 6 armor (66 damage), which would definately make the carriers the better unit.

-BCs would do 34 damage - 7 armor, which is 27 damage...

-Without Yamato, carriers would win... but good microing yamatos would make battlecruisers the better.

-Scout support helps alot as well as EMP and Defensive matrix

Results will definately vary because both players probably won't upgrade both armor and weapon at the exact same time...

[One upgrade or additional spell may just win the game]
Maybe I'm wrong, since you people have more experience with late game air units...

Funny trick you can sometimes use.. when you actually know you can kill the carriers by outnumbering, let your goliaths or BCs kill the interceptor.. Protoss can drain their money away... Effective when you kill their expos...

btw, how much hp do interceptors have?

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
There's no way BCs can touch carriers without Yamato. Carriers are doing all the damage to BCs and BCs can't fight back because they can't reach carriers. EMP isn't that good because it can be dodged. The graphical effect of EMP is totally misleading. I've had scenarios where my carriers were caught between the outer ring of EMP and a few inches from the actual blast and my carriers didn't lose their shields. Interceptors have 40 hp.

Skyhr

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
There's no way BCs can touch carriers without Yamato. Carriers are doing all the damage to BCs and BCs can't fight back because they can't reach carriers. EMP isn't that good because it can be dodged. The graphical effect of EMP is totally misleading. I've had scenarios where my carriers were caught between the outer ring of EMP and a few inches from the actual blast and my carriers didn't lose their shields. Interceptors have 40 hp.
What do you exactly mean by the BCs can't fight back?
If people missed their EMP, they must seriously suck(imo)...lol

Assuming a 'few' terran players don't miss their EMP or fire it so predictably, or only have 100mp/one_vessel, I think the EMP is fine... I just hope they don't 'miss' their defensive matrix...lol

I think the 'kill interceptor might work with cruisers...but some/most of them will probably die...

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Without YC, BCs are chasing carriers while the carriers are killing them with interceptors. BCs lack the range of the carrier so it's not difficult to kill BCs outside their range while retreating from them. Sure, you can use YC, but it takes 2 kill carriers and BCs don't always have 150 mana. Trust me, it's quite possible to miss what you aim for. Especially since EMP doesn't target a unit, it's easy to just move out the way. It's difficult to actually lead your SV, since carriers could suddenly change direction or stop. Besides, using EMP on carriers is a waste of time since BCs still can't reach them.