Starcraft2.com update: The Nomad

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
TF-620 Nomad

The TF-620 nomad is an all-around workhorse that combines the functions of light manufacturing center and observation post rolled into one. A common sight among the fringe-world colonies, the nomad is a robust, air-mobile vehicle built to operate independently in all but the harshest climates. Although the nomad shares a number of common traits with its smaller cousin, the SCV, the nomad is a far more specialized and advanced engineering craft.

Nomads are normally employed for first-line colony surveillance and protection duties against dangerous local life forms or climate events. These vehicles boast an impressive array of sensors delicate enough to detect even cloaked or burrowed enemies. By deploying its two aft-mounted nano-welders, the nomad can construct a variety of small, semi-permanent defensive structures to meet various threats in a matter of moments.

Several standard template constructions are available to the nomad, a popular example being the auto turret. This simple robot gun emplacement is suitable for driving off smaller hostile life forms for an extended period of time.

The Terran Dominion initially provided nomads to give low-level protection to its most isolated outposts, typically manning them with local civilians as something akin to a volunteer fire truck or ambulance service. Over time the military support applications of the nomad have seen it deployed in escalating levels of conflict, gradually replacing the older and vastly costlier science vessel.

StarCraft II

Comments:
When the concept came up and subsequent listings of the unit, I was skeptical accepting the nomad as a replacement to the science vessel. The short gameplay videos, and a more thorough understanding of it's role however has reversed my opinion slightly. I still think the model is slightly homosexual, but the units abilities are pretty sweet. With the Ghost having EMP, and Nomads having the ability to deploy turrets and heal other units, I'm liking the Terrans a lot recently.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
That's one fugly Terran unit. Cool idea, bad design.
Agreed. Even the concept art is ugly. I think if it was slightly altered it could have a sort of rough Terran scrap unit feel, but right now it looks and moves like a tinker toy.

Otherwise I think it is pretty awesome.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
more defensive stuff ^^

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
They say it constructs semi-permanent defensive structures, does that mean they only last a certain time or are they trying to say "yeah if you destroy it, it dies" in a retarded way?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
They say it constructs semi-permanent defensive structures, does that mean they only last a certain time or are they trying to say "yeah if you destroy it, it dies" in a retarded way?
I think they fall apart or something after a time. Otherwise you could build nothing but nomads and just drop them everywhere and that would be really gay.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
the design reminds me of the old freighter things in the map editor

seems kinda cheap imo.

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
so are the turrets almost instantly created or what? it's nice they make the missile turret into an anti ground unit but i still believe they should get rid of the radar and make the turret into a hybrid. the ship looks like a cargo transport.

you know it seemed like the ghost became one with the force.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
THE first unit that I seem to be dissapointed with. I DO hope that when those turrets were dropped/built that it was sped up x10 or something- else expanding for Terran is going to be SO easy- they've made it quite easy so far for terran. Terran has cheap expanding (like humans), The Toss have super-weapon mother ships, so Zerg is.. probably going to be able to swarm even worse than before- especially now that you can select up to 24 units instead of 12.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
This is why Wing needs to get off his ass and update ****.

Instant build, and they are not the only things the Nomad will build. they are being tested and help with workers raids and support engaging battle and are balanced among the development team.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My god. How much defensive **** does terran need? The Blizz team is must be made up of 5 year old terran fanboys. WTF?

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
To make them REALLY great (if this is allready the case) they can repair air units while still flying, unlike the poor SCV who needs to follow the terrain. Repairing ground will also be great.

Mainly, lifting off your command center while under attack and being able to repair it while moveing its slow ass to a new location would be ****ing amazing. I allready know I'm playing Terran when the game hits.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
It doesnt have to be defensive, if you bring 3-4 Nomads with you. You can use the Auto Turrets for attack purposes plus a distraction. It seems that Starcraft II is aiming more towards lots of units.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Again, expanding is going to be super easy. Cheap infantry that can jump terraint tier and placeable turrets?

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
^ That's the problem. Terran is supposed to have a hard time expanding because they can build anywhere they want and float their buildings. This is BS.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
But we don;'t know the limits of the Nomad yet. We also don't know just how much damage and HP each turret as.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Nomad ... this game's gonna be imba. Hello again 100 versions to balance the game.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If they are anything like the troll-serpant ward off WC3 then there really isnt much to worry about i don't think. I could be wrong. I want to know the other capabilities of the Nomad besides the turret build. There are DEFINATLY gonna be some interesting UMS games.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The game is in Pre-Alpha. ANYONE who looks at ANYTHING released now and says "zomg imbal" or anyhting like that needs to serious reconsider suicide.