StarCraft... dead

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sc is not dead people are still playing it,i doubt sc will ever go dead,it will just be like diablo 1,with only a few players,still not dead

btw tau[40k] change your sig,its too big buddy,i dunno the exact size limit,but i know your sigs too big

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
i have played bf1942, cs, ut03, and wc3.. none of those games are mine except cs.. got the special thing so you can play without hl :p anyways, i did the same thing, didn't play for like a year, then came back and have been completely addicted ever since.. and that was a hella-long time ago.. i think starcraft sucks.. but i love brood war hardcore :cool: as far as i'm concerned, it won't be dead until sc2 comes out, because nothing is going to be able to match it until then.. and i'll be happy even if it loses tens of thousands of active players, as long as enough still play that i can get full houses :p

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
You need Brood War to have real excitement with Starcraft!

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Sig size limit is 550x200 pixels I think. And while this is technically a bumped thread, he kept it on topic, so...

I find it interesting that this thread was bumped from over two years ago (two years and two weeks to be exact), yet Starcraft is still as active as--or more active--it was before.

blu

Member!
Reaction score
Ive been playin SC for about 5 years now dont think it'll ever completely die out

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
it'll die, the way warcraft died when warcraft 2 came out, and the way warcraft 2 died out when warcraft 3 died out.. when sc2 comes out, starcraft will be extremely and thoroughly dead, although it might take a little while for it to set in.. the day sc2 comes out, starcraft is going to lose at least 10,000 active members, just on the first day, maybe more (i'll be one of them).. after a while it's going to be completely dead (that is if starcraft 2 doesn't have such high system requirements that you need a supercomputer to run it).. until then, starcraft will remain actively played because there is no alternative.. which is the same reason sc fans will always stay with the sc series no matter what.. blizzard has to constantly make updates and sequels to their other titles in order to keep them as active as starcraft, who has had only broodwar added to it, which was a long ass time ago, and with the (hopefully) soon to be released 1.12 patch and starcraft: ghost, i would say starcraft is anything but dead

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
I dunno... none of Blizzard's other games have gone seven years without new releases.

A new Counter-Strike was released, but people still play the old one just as much as they play the new one. And a lot of them wouldn't play the new one even if they had a new computer or even if they owned the game. They just don't like the graphics and the gameplay of the new game as much as the old one.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
-Azrael666- said:
it'll die, the way warcraft died when warcraft 2 came out, and the way warcraft 2 died out when warcraft 3 died out.. when sc2 comes out, starcraft will be extremely and thoroughly dead, although it might take a little while for it to set in.. the day sc2 comes out, starcraft is going to lose at least 10,000 active members, just on the first day, maybe more (i'll be one of them).. after a while it's going to be completely dead (that is if starcraft 2 doesn't have such high system requirements that you need a supercomputer to run it).. until then, starcraft will remain actively played because there is no alternative.. which is the same reason sc fans will always stay with the sc series no matter what.. blizzard has to constantly make updates and sequels to their other titles in order to keep them as active as starcraft, who has had only broodwar added to it, which was a long ass time ago, and with the (hopefully) soon to be released 1.12 patch and starcraft: ghost, i would say starcraft is anything but dead
Warcraft III will live on, until more and more people can afford the Credit Card bill and/or Warcraft IV ever gets made.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
counterstrike is different.. i don't even consider cs2 the same game, i would never leave counterstrike unless they made a sequel that even remotely resembled it.. they completely ruined it imo

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Unreal Tournament is the same thing, there are still people who play the original!

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
i don't know if it was ut03 i played, whatever the newest one is is the one i played.. i thought it sucked.. bf1942 wasn't really my type of game, but if it was i'd have thought it was awesome (had a lot of realistic aspects)

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
I for one will be playing SC on my death bed! Back when it came out, it became Game of the Year for a reason. Great graphics(cinematic wise)! Now that I've played alot more RTS games since (I'm a hardcore RTS gamer, just recently gotten hooked on RPGs) I do find the graphics a little old. However, the thing that keeps my interest in a game is its REPLAY VALUE, not graphics. I still play old DOS games, not because the graphics are 'cool' but because the game has HIGH replay value, in my opinion. In my mind, SC has the highest replay value of any game I've played because of StarEdit. There is no limit with that thing, and the other editors out there. I've found everything from a Fireworks map to a Russian Rulette(sp?) map.

I for one hate any game that I can beat in under 12 hours without using cheats. Thus why I don't play FPS games. There are a few exceptions... Nothing like hacking your way through a mob of enemies with a light saber!

To sum it all up, some people have the opinion SC is dead, others don't. Simple as that folks.

Magikarp

Reaction score
Although the typical SC community is keeping Brood War alive, I have noticed a substantial decline in Starcraft map-making, which is one of the reasons I abandoned it. This might be for a multitude of reasons:

1) The introduction of the Warcraft III editor took a chunk out of the SC map making community. I know, since my clan lost half of its members to it.

2) Most of the limits of the Campaign Editor have been discovered: square terrain, altering doodad states, player colors, overlapping, etc.. it becomes a bit old once all of the secrets have been discovered.

3) I think a lot of good map makers are discouraged from making maps due to the popularity of shitty maps, such as mass attack maps and cliche defense maps. There is a major lack of innovation.

4) This isn't really a reason, but when I left Sc, most of the well-known map making clans, including Mp) and (U), were decaying. A mark of the apocalypse, no doubt.

5) And, Warcraft III and WoW in general have helped to kill the SC map making community.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Hooray, I can make my Hero Line Wars and people who used to be SC fanatics will play it :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
It's a known fact that the WC world editor is far better than SC map editor. And it is possible that the SC map making community is dyeing, or at least decaying. Well, it is 2005. The game's been out for eight years ;)

But the game, itself, it isn't dyeing. I still see the same ammount of games I saw five years ago, on B.Net. And I'll take it that it only shows a small ammount, so it won't lag the users (remember it was made in the times of 32 kb or even less modems :p).

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
MasterLeviathan said:
3) I think a lot of good map makers are discouraged from making maps due to the popularity of shitty maps, such as mass attack maps and cliche defense maps. There is a major lack of innovation.
that's my only discouragement.. i get so pissed after spending like 4 months making a flawless map with beautiful plot or innovative game play, and i can't get a full house if there are 6 other people who made "HYDRA DEFENSE JOIN!!" it really is aggravating

as for the WC editor being better than the SC one, yea, everyone knows it.. but i'm not switching editors until SC2 comes out :p