Some ideas for Diablo III

Makiya2x

Reaction score
Dude really nice ideas

Man i was reading ur ideas and i just loved em man. if i was blizzard i would use alot of your ideas. And just wondering y would that guy come and say that they arent gonna make it when the writer went in to write it. i just think that guy is jelous casue d3 is gonna WTFPWN his fav game.

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
http://www.g4mers.com/news.aspx?id=3144

Diablo III confirmed, according to www.g4mers.com
Peter Daegan, Blizzard official representative in is blog, said:
" of the team that did diablo II only 2 people remain at Blizzard, so this new diablo project will be done by a new team..."

What can we expect from the game ?
" Diablo III will be a complete new game in 3D, ... the players will have powerfull allies like Archangels and semi-gods..."

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
According to rumours Blizzard could announce Diablo III in E3 (May) or in Blizzcon (October). Blizzard is trying to buy the major d3 internet domains, before prices go up after they announce the game release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II#Diablo_III_Rumors
"On March 24th 2006, Blizzard Entertainment registered the domains www.diablo3.es and www.diablo3.de. Blizzard Entertainment will probably try to grab the rest of the Diablo 3 domains prior to an announcement, possible at E3 in May, or BlizzCon in October."

Get ready for signing for Diablo 3 Beta test at Blizzard.

I really hope that blizzard can invent ways of resolving d2 biggest problems.

a) Offensive name callers, violent and abusive players.
b) Scammers
c) Dupers and cheaters
d) PK Hackers

And find ways to create a more friendly enviroment for the 5 types of players that abound in d2:

1) Solo PvM
2) Team PvM
3) Solo PvP
4) Team PvP
5) Item collectors

Make runes drop more easy, for allowing anyone with a year of play to have legit nice runewords.
More random quests... invent some anti-scam on trade strategies, make experience not depend of only team play and repetitive baal/cow runs, because many players also like to play solo (highly oriented team PtP (pay to play's) are not for all players).
Make all quests important, make rares (random items) to have the possibility to became more powerfull than uniques for reviving trades. More item crafting.
Player guilds for clans, with item shops. Duel arena.
Some kind of ingame real-time chat support. (like rogerwilco)
How about some of the weakest runewords give synergies when used togheter ?
By example using spirit sword + spirit shield gives +1 to teleport ?
Or Rhyme shield if used with stone gives +75% to mf ?
Also a special item should be dropped once at each ladder. Only one of this item could be droped in each ladder, this item should have a special name category: the Godly item.
And only one Battle.net player can have it. But if the char of the player dies, the player loses the item, and is droped again in a new random open game.

Also, in www.diabloii.net news, " Blizzard is rumored to have purchased around 1500+ new HP servers all based on AMD Opteron 64 technology. "... Blizzard may also be preparing for their next major online game. Perhaps they are preparing for the next generation Diablo or something of the like."

Why would blizzard invest millions in new servers ??? ... the wow project has 295 servers (not so good as the new Opterons) , 133 US, 162 Europe... more than 1500 new servers ? its too much for using all of them to combat lag issues on wow.
There something huge... on development in Blizzard, something bigger than Wow.

Interesting article also here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/2006/02/rumor_diablo_ii.php

Also, Titan Quest, diablo 2 clone, is here: http://titanquestgame.com

Found also a interesting site for creating names for Diablo II chars: http://rinkworks.com/namegen

Hamtaro

Official Forum Hamster
Reaction score
That's a lot of double posts but its cool, that must've taken a lot of effort.

Keep making ideas, maybe they'll be stickied :)

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
The Alchemist Char.

Druids from the side of good, and Witchs from the side of evil, could have a skill tree for making potions:

1st they should collect: Herbs/roots + empty bottles

List of herbs/roots:

(Black) Mushrooms : + Empty bottle = can dye your armor black
(any color mushroom can dye your armor of that color)
Aloe : + Empty bottle = can give +30% all res for 5 minutes
Ginseng : + Empty bottle = +100% poison res for 3 minutes
Hibuscus : + Empty bottle = +200 str for 30 minutes
Trevo : + Empty bottle = + 300% mf for 10 seconds
Basil : + Empty bottle = +200 dex for 30 minutes
Cumin : + Empty bottle = +100 mana for 15 minutes
Dill : + Empty bottle = + 100 life for 10 minutes
Elephant's-Foot : + Empty bottle = + 25% chance to craft better for 1 min
Fennel : + Empty bottle = +80% ias for 2 minutes
Ginger : + Empty bottle = +50% fast cast for 2 minutes
Horse-Radish : + Empty bottle = +25% mount speed for 7 min
Indian cucumber : + Empty bottle = +100% enhanced damage for 1 min
Jasmine : + Empty bottle = +100% resistance to cold for 3 min
Kaffier lime leaves : + Empty bottle = +100% res to fire for 3 minutes
Lemon balm : + Empty bottle = +75% res to magical attacks for 5 min
Mace : + Empty bottle = +100% resitance to lightning for 3 min
Nettles : + Empty bottle = -100% enemy res for 30 seconds
Oregano : + Empty bottle = +2 to skills for 4 minutes
Peppermint : + Empty bottle = removes disease
Quatre Espices : + Empty bottle = removes curses
Rosemary : + Empty bottle = remove iron maiden for 10 min
Sage : + Empty bottle = gives inteligence and infinite mana for 1m
Thyme : + Empty bottle = gives convert enemy sk for 1 minute
Valerian : + Empty bottle = gives +75% mana leech for 5 minutes
White peppercorns : + Empty bottle = gives +75% life leech for 5 minutes
Xanthan gum : + Empty bottle = attracts enemy bosses to you for 1m
Yarrow : + Empty bottle = Prevent monster heal for 3 m
Chamaelirium luteum: + Empty bottle = Ignore targer def for 1 m
Unicorn Root : + Empty bottle = gives iron skin lvl10 for 10m
Zedoary Mediaval Ginger : + Empty bottle = gives bo lvl 1 for 5 m
Birch : + Empty bottle = gives +1000% to find runes for 1m
Aniseed : + Empty bottle = imune to physical attacks for 10 sec
Coriander : + Empty bottle = +10000 poison damage for 5 sec
Dandelion : + Empty bottle = +5000 def for 5 minutes
Elder : + Empty bottle = can not be frozen for 5 minutes
Garlic : + Empty bottle = can not be life leeched for 5 minutes
Haldi : + Empty bottle = can not be mana leeched for 5 minutes
Mandragora root: + empty bottle = +1 to teleport for 5 minutes

And you can try to mix the potions, by joining the 2 potions in a new bottle, making a diferent and more powerfull potion:
Examples:

Mandragora root potion + Aloe Potion = 5000 damage throw potion
Dandelion potion + Birch potion : Imunity to claw viper poison cloud
Garlic potion + Valerian potion : +25% to chance to block for 5m

Only high level alchemists can join 2 or more potions...

Skill tree of the Druid
1) Find herbs (skill like find item in barbs)
2) Find roots
3) Bottle making
4) Find Mana potions
5) Find Life potions
6) Alchemy: by example you will need lvl 35 in alchemy to make Mandragora potions
Mixing potions skill: with low skill theres a chance of potion is not effective, lvl 30 = 75% chances of making the potion right
7) Potion lore: like a identify skill for herbs and roots

Skill tree of the Witch

1) Chance to find herbs/roots
2) Cooking roots/herbs in cauldron
3) Picking animal hide to make leather vials to put the potions in
4) Flying a broom
5) Arcane knowledge: chance to make a potion right
6) Throwing potion skill: extra damage when char throw potion
7) Can use potions, to pass temporary potion abilitys to armors, shields and weapons

--------------------------------------------------

In diablo III blizzard must address the DII biggest problems, D2 biggest problems are not game design but undesirable players who destroy other people game experience.

One abnoxious player can make 100 good players quit, in one month, reducing player base, and worst with all the nice people gone, the ratio nice people/ofensive players increase for the bad persons side.
Making more and more people to quit.

I will only play Diablo III if blizzard can effective make a effort to stop those bad people to destroy other people gaming experience.

Suggestions how to deal with:

1) Offensive name callers
Make a system that read all text that is typed in diablo III, and if one player type one offensive remark, should be banned from online play, CD key deleted from Blizzard database, IP logged , if player buys new Diablo III copy and try to activate the game with same IP, banned again.
Depending on player remark send information of the IP to the police of the country of the player, and go to court asking money from the offensive player because this behavior forces others to quit.

2) Violent and abusive players.
For players who behave in violent and offensive manner, make a ban button in game, for the game creator to ban offensive players, and make a ebay like rating system (you can vote other person behavior, good, bad or suspicious), if a player receive bad 20 votes in a month, he is banned and cd Key deleted. And make that the raking of the player could be seen, and that in game making we can chose to leave bad rating players out of the game.

3) Scammers
Make all items different, making not possible to socket a emerald on a cap, and that would look like a shako. Make items shops were people can leave there items to be traded automatically for a price.
Make that all items could be on trade window, and if one item is moved trade window fall.
Make a intelligent trade bot who warns traders of possible scams, use a ebay ratio to ban players who have more than 10 votes for scamming in a month.
Make that a Bank exist in the town for the possibility to store items there that can be reached by other chars of the same account (make possible only one account (8 chars) for cd key ), this will prevent "friend" to steal friend in mule games. 9 in 10 players who got stolen by a "friend" quit game, increasing the ratio good people/bad people for the bad side, this makes in long term to appear that felling of the game community is full of bad people, and no longer is FUN to play.

4) Dupers
Make all items with unique ID and full ruststorm each player enter game.
Take to court, all ebay sellers that sell d3 stuff.

5) and cheaters
Bots and Maphacks are impossible to stop, so make impossible for a bot to reach with ease a final boss, use seals, mazes, puzzles and subquests, to make very difficult to reach a boss. Dont make good monsters appear near to towns like pindle.

d) PK Hackers
Make auto level requirements in games, make that people must always agree to attack each other for combat. (except in duel games, or games with evil vs good quests). Make duel arenas, with the possibility of dueling.
Reduce town portals, use more waypoints.

Acid Reign

Member!
Reaction score
Wow Jandri... I've read many of your posts and they are all HUGE but the ideas you have are very unique and interesting. Keep it up!

I love the concept of an Alchemist. I think it would be fun to make kick ass potions.

~Wynter~

Reaction score
Jandri ~

All of your posts are filled with great ideas. Great work by the way! Have you ever thought of applying for a Blizzard position? With you on their team, all us Diablo fans out here are sure to get the best game ever! Keep the great ideas rollin! :)

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
@ hi all , thanks for the support.
Have you ever thought of applying for a Blizzard position?
Its impossible, but perhaps i can be a beta tester, who knows.

I bring some bad news. Diablo 3 Not at E3
Blizzard only showing WoW expansion at this year's show.
by Dan Adams, Editor-in-Chief, IGNPC
http://pc.ign.com/articles/704/704813p1.html

And some hope: Blizzard "perhaps" could announce D3 in Blizzcon (in October). http://www.blizzcon.com
Blizzard as bought recently 1500 new servers [ wow as now 295 servers ], 500 of the new servers could be used for the new wow expansion and for replacing old wow servers... and the new 1000 ?
There something huge... on development in Blizzard, something 2x bigger than Wow.

Wow is a MMORPG PtP [PtP=pay to play], Diablo is a ActionRPG..., i was hoping that blizzard would make d3 a actionrpg... like in the past games of the series.

Hamtaro

Official Forum Hamster
Reaction score
I love your ideas, and I hope that they are in D3:)

Tiznit

Member!
Reaction score
jandri said:
Suggestions how to deal with:

1) Offensive name callers
Make a system that read all text that is typed in diablo III, and if one player type one offensive remark, should be banned from online play, CD key deleted from Blizzard database, IP logged , if player buys new Diablo III copy and try to activate the game with same IP, banned again.
Depending on player remark send information of the IP to the police of the country of the player, and go to court asking money from the offensive player because this behavior forces others to quit.

2) Violent and abusive players.
For players who behave in violent and offensive manner, make a ban button in game, for the game creator to ban offensive players, and make a ebay like rating system (you can vote other person behavior, good, bad or suspicious), if a player receive bad 20 votes in a month, he is banned and cd Key deleted. And make that the raking of the player could be seen, and that in game making we can chose to leave bad rating players out of the game.

d) PK Hackers
Make auto level requirements in games, make that people must always agree to attack each other for combat. (except in duel games, or games with evil vs good quests). Make duel arenas, with the possibility of dueling.
Ok, I'd like to respond to some of this:
Firstly, "offensive" material is a subjective term. What one person finds offensive and what another person finds offensive can be two completely different things. Additionally, what if you're playing with a few of your friends, none of which mind your language, and you get killed and say something along the lines of "**** this game!"? No one has been offended in any way but you're going to get banned for it? That's completely ridiculous.

Next, the concept of using warning points, etc is a childish fantasy dependent on Perfect people. People get mad, people hold grudges, some people are just jerks in general. So say you're playing your game and you refuse to trade some guy your "ITEM X" that he really wants. He gives you a point, calls his buddies, and they all come in and give you points. Now you're up lets say 15 points, and why?, because some jerk didn't get what he wanted.

As far as what you said about PK hackers goes, what exactly do you mean make auto-level requirements on games exactly? If you could clarify that, I'd really appreciate it.

Aaaaaaanyways, that's my two cents on the matter.

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
Construtive criticism is always appreciated, my ideas just suggest some possible solutions for the increasing number of offensive name callers, violent and abusive players, scammers, dupers, hackers, and PK's on D2 population. (who is decreasing fast)
Good or bad (by statistics before having a good idea you must 1st came up with 100 bad ones), they open discussions points that could lead to better solutions for the problems. But all depends of course, for me those people create a problem that must be solved for me to have fun again playing d2/d3, but for some people dupes\hacks\scams, etc are no problem, they like the stuff.

Many people discuss the problems , but few bring creative solutions and new ideas... so is always enjoyable to discuss solutions, besides problems. The "ebay" reputation system idea... is not the best solution for sure, but something better didnt cross my mind yet.

"auto level requirements in games", not one of mine more inspired ideas.
I was thinking when i wrote, "auto level requirements in games", something like this: To be impossible to have in same game lvl difference more than 10 levels by default. D2 allows players to define lvl req. in game, in D3 with auto levels reqs the server would automaticaly set the level of player for that particular game ) Example if your char is level 10 and makes game, in that game can only enter levels 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15. Trades will be done in special game "trade market" were you can trade in person or using shops. The objective of the idea was to end any kind of rushes (hell forge rushing scam included), lvl 90 PK low level´s (included in (d for this) , and the famous "MF LEECHER´s game spoil", when 1 or 2 lvl 9x Palas enter your open game in hell (increasing difficulty, and not helping) when your are trying to make a lvl 7x team to pass act 1 or act 2, and kill all bosses in game, for the extra mf... making all the 7x lvl people that was partying with you to leave the game just when you were almost near that final boss. But perhaps some better solutions for this could be invented by Blizzard, or by the D3 beta testers... who knows ?...

The objective of the idea was if making harder to cast town portals, PK´s will more dificulty to travel back to town for hostilize, (when the party is trying to kill meph or something) thus giving more time for the prey (usually 4 or 5 low levels) to organize defense or avoid strategie. If town portal scroll would have the rarity of Hel runes, Pk´s would think twice before spending one to slay a bounch of low levels... (identify scrolls not needed because of Cain), with more difficulty to cast TP´s the game would be more fun... easy TP´s make a sense of security that is not fun. And perhaps some keys to use waypoints (tele keys or something) would also help to increase the fun, and decrease PK´s and Bots. For the game to be more fun -> more runes, less TP scrolls.

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
No Diablo III at E3, BUT 2 promissing: Diablo III wannabe´s

Hellgate London
---------------
http://www.hellgatelondon.com/classes/cabalist/#fancy_panel

"According to ancient Babylonian texts, “The final step in The Awakening is for the Leader, the Great Eye of the Cabal, to pierce the veil and wrestle with the Lord of Hell. If he is victorious, he will gain possession of the Infernal Key of Nine Gates, giving him full command of all the energies from the dark planes.” (quote from the site)

Very interesting, the original makers of diablo II, (today making Hellgate London), went to Lovecraft’s Necronomicon tale to get inspiration for their storyline. Just like i proposed in earlier posts. Its a dark, scary and gothic tale, perfect for diablo III...

The weird cience of Nikola Tesla was also a inspiration... for stuff in their storyline:
http://rense.com/general5/newpbs.htm
http://www.rense.com/general12/status.htm
(2 links if someone as curiosity to read something about Tesla weird cience)

Titan Quest
-----------
http://pc.ign.com/articles/667/667935p1.html

"One of the most popular games in the history of PC games was Diablo II. It sold a gazillion copies and still has a pretty hefty online community years after release. It's no surprise that many companies have tried to emulate that style of play with varying degrees of success. One of the more promising action/RPG games of the future, Titan Quest, promises a lot of fast past combat in an amazingly lovely setting. As a hero from the ancient world of Greece, players will have to battle countless creatures through all areas of the ancient world. We had the chance to check the game out for the first time since E3 today and also got a look at the awesome level editor that developer Iron Lore will be including with the game. When last we saw the game, we were already pretty impressed by what we saw. Only that time, the levels shown weren't actually part of the game, they were levels created specifically for E3. "

kitty64

Member!
Reaction score
holy shit jandri how much time dos it take u to type all thios stuff man

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
I was bored last night and i decided to play some d2 again.
(I quit playing earlier in the ladder, i just got a torch (barb) for the felling of the uber quest), because playing d2, became boring in the last years.

*** Playing d2 late ladder *** (not worth it), ladder is only fun the first 2 months. after that better to quit.

But i just played for 2 days, made a lvl 72 char , in normal and nightmare was fun, even some dude gave me a free occulus. Got some fair trade.

But in hell dificulty is impossible to play, almost only trade games are opened, and every game who isnt trade, as a MF-leecher destroying the game:
See in this picture one example: http://www.megaupload.com/pt/?d=3VSGU0JT
This dude, destroyed the game for the 5 players who were playing act2, making the game more dificult, killing all bosses (except duriel).

D3 need's a boot button, were this mf leechers can be banned.
If the majority of people in game, will press ban button, this players will be banned from game. (Better the majority than the game creator, because if the game creator can ban alone, he would ban all players when a boss was almost dead for the loot).

Im going to quit again d2. This time only played one day and half to get disapointed.

*************** NEW STUFF *****************

Lovecraft´s sentence: "the Infernal Key of Nine Gates"
Who opens the nine gates as access to the armys of hell ?!

Thats a good hint for a storyline for Diablo III, i was searching altavista for references of Keys, hell and gates, for tips for a storyline and found:

Some interesting sites with gothic and arkane references, like:
http://www.angelfire.com/stars2/LisasPlanet/angelpages/angels.html
( here i found the meaning of abracadabra:
Abracadabra ("I bless the dead") - One of three holy names used to conjure the Sword. It is one of the oldest words used in magick, originating from the Hebrew "ha brachah dabarah," which means "speak the blessing." )

http://www.smartcart.com/enchanted/ (store for enchanted talisman's)
Here i found some ancient rune names:
Feoh - Wealth and Good Fortune
Ur - Strength and Advancement
Os - Gaining Knowledge
Rad - Protection on Journeys
Cen - Self-Confidence and Creativity
Wynn - Granting Wishes
Peorth - Luck in Games of Chance
Eolh - Protection
Sigil - Health and Vitality
Beorc - Finding a Lover or Partner
Man - Happy Love and Friendship
Daeg - Creating Opportunities
(new runes for diablo III ;) ), only need to be reduced for 2/3 letters:
Feo, Ur, Os , Rad, Cen, Wyn ,Peo, Eol, Sig, Beo, Man, Dae

What Talisman means: The word Talisman comes from the ancient Greek word Teleo, meaning to consecrate or magically charge. From ancient times, Magical Talismans have brought protection, power and prosperity to the wearer.

The Key of Solomon
http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/kos/
Its a Grimoire->(sorcerer spell book), were are instructions on how to summon and master spiritual powers, including how to obtain answers to problems from the spirit world.

Found also some references to the paladin order of "The Knights Templar" they were the order that probably inspired the paladin order of "The Knights of Zakarum" in D2. (they were investigating the mysteries of King Solomons Temple)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar_legends
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Tomar ,
Castle of Tomar this was the last place were the Templar hide themselfs after the persecutions, it is believed that in this castle the is a chamber of stone without no doors, with the secrets of this order. This is a beautiful gothic castle, magnificent pictures.

Perhaps some quests in d3 could use some of the Templar legends translated in the Zakarum Order.

Found a reference here to some "City of the Nine Gates"
http://www.pdxnet.net/resrev/RSEITZ.html

In http://www.luckymojo.com, found references to 6 kinds of magic
White Magick: Helpful Magic Spells
Red Magick: Love Spells and Sex Magick
Green Magick: Money Making Magic Spells
Purple Magick: Power Enhancing Magic Spells
Black Magick: Destructive Magic Spells

D3 could use sorc with more spells than just elemental spells: Fire+Cold+Light

More interesting links with occult tales, that cant hint possible storylines and plots for d3:
http://www.luckymojo.com/esoteric/occultism/magic/clncon.txt
http://www.luckymojo.com/esoteric/religion/FAQ.sumrmyt.9708
(according to summerian mythology there are 7 gates , not 9, very interesting the legend of Inanna, goddess of love and war)

Titan Quest Demo (d2 clone)
http://www.gamedaily.com <- im downloading from this site
http://www.ironlore.com <- TQ home

Better to try actionRpg's from other companies, i have little faith in Blizzard for d3, if they dont solve d2 problems, they will have the same problems in d3. And some problems are easy to solve, a ban button and increasing runes drops, would improve gameplay for the legit players.
Most people in d2 only play by themselfs 20% of time, the rest is bot playing.
I have played this game for 5 years (3 years with intensity), and the biggest rune drop was GUL, but i have seen player´s with full inventory of Jah´s, Ber´s and Zod´s. At least they could make that legit players could make one or two runewords. Because im legit i never had a enigma, only had Grief, traded for the LO of course. :D I think Blizzard dont want to solve the problems, perhaps because some of the Blizzards employees could profit from selling dupes at ebay ?, that is the only reason i can think... because the logic points that way.

Well, im going to download Titan Quest, and hope ist better than d2.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!
I cant play Titan Quest... it gives a error... i think my system is bellow game requirements...
I have Pentium IV 2.6 Ghz , with 512 Mb ram and Nvidia Gforce 64MB.

D3 will ask for sure, one huge upgrade in my computer.

jandri

Member!
Reaction score
Some interesting links... but nothing new...

Old d2 interview were game designers, tell that they were going to make d2 cheat-proof, very interesting: http://www.gamespot.com/features/diablo2/page2.html

Links for the new blizzard servers...
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=576
http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/02/blizzard-going-crazy-for-opteron.html?dailytech

The history of Blizzard -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment
"Blizzard launched their online gaming service Battle.net in January of 1997 with the release of their action-RPG Diablo" <- Diablo is a actionRPG not one MMORPG.
If Blizz make WOD (World of Diablo) , that would be Diablo MMORPG 1, not Diablo III, and the targer audience (rich kids), would be very different.

Found a D3 petition: http://diablo2.ingame.de/szene/d3petition