So, I got WC3 for Christmas...q/a

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know nothing about WC. Humans battle Orcs yada yada...
I do however have a few question regarding the game and gameplay.

1) Do any of the WC races have any similarities to any SC races?

2) I see a LOT of people play Orc. I'm guessing, from what I've seen, is that they are a coookiecutter type of race. Everyone does the same thing.

3) I really don't have a race I know well enough. What are the strongest and the weaking. Generally. I am leading towards NE just because I think they are powerful late-game. While Orc is the early rush cheap tactics.

4) Do people not play 'comp stomps'? I'm rather new and I'd like to play with real players against harder computers.

5) Would anyone want to play with me ever? I'm usually on late night.
Account: PauseBreak

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
1) not really
2) orc? pfft
3) NE has early rush cheap tactics, wait all races do.
4) theres ladder games and custom games, you can play those in custom.
5) nah, i play sc only nowdays :hxc

PauseBreak

Reaction score
The ONLY custom games I see are DOTA. =\

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
that game teaches u about how to run from stronger heros :O

only some stuff same about sc, like undead with blight

PauseBreak

Reaction score
I am having a difficult time controling units with different heros in each command.
Having only a pop of 100 is strange to me, and massing isn't something that can be done easily. The computer attacks too often and resources aren't cheap to come by. Gold is difficult for me to command but lumber isn't. I'm beginning to think NE is not hte race for me.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Wc isnt really much the the sit and wait forumla sc is
game is more fast pace

PauseBreak

Reaction score
I've noticed.

I try playing online with 2vs2. About after the first 5 mins my teammate swears then leaves the game without warning. This has happened to me at least 3 times now. How depressing right? I thought I was building pretty decent. Youtell me.

NE:
First > 5 peons start gold mining.
Second > Create 5 more.
>> Build Alter of Elders
>> Build Moon Well
>> Build Ancient of War
>>With remaining 3 spirits (after creating moonwell) start getting wood.
After the Alter is made I create 5 spirits for wood and Hero (the girl with the blades)
Upgrade to Tree of Ages and during that time I make Hunters Hall > Upgrade and create Archers. It goes very smoothly.

Shaggy.2Dope

Agna Deus, Qui tollis peccata uni
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
NONONO HORRIBLE!!! i may not be able to play, but i did have a level 28 acc.... here, be orc,

1,2, & 3) 3 peons start mining gold 1 peon builds altar other builds burrow.

4) When they finish they be mining gold, but while the buildings are building make more peons.

5) After more peons are done at least 4, send 1 to go build a barracks, 1 other to build a war mill RIGHT NEXT to the forest of course, the other 2,
3, etc. be lumberjackin'.

6) While u were doing all that stuff with the barracks, and war mill, u shoulda been makin a hero -i like farseer- Send your hero to scout, while making grunts and headhunters, the farseer should run across the enemy's base, attack it for a few, when the big bad defence gets there, either run, or use ur town portal scroll.

7) hero gets back to base! okay. now keep a few units there for defence, send the rest out with ur hero to creep.

8) once ur hero gets to decent strength, buy a few items, then continue building burrows and units excessively, you should have already upgraded your great hall. If not do so ASAP! Then make a beastiary and Voodoo lounge, put the HIGHEST priority on Shamans, the windriders are important too. upgrade them with the poison darts or whatever. then send then send them to weaken enemy base

9) Upgrade ur stronghold to a fortress ASAP!

10) Once that is done UPGRADE UR SHAMAN like i said PRIORITY!!!! and build a tauren totem -common sense-

11) once u master ur shamans you should have like 5 tauren and 3 shamans
CONTINUE BUILDING tauren, and wind riders... If u want some siege make Raiders, and if the guy likes air use Troll Batriders!

12) TIP: humans are a superior race for siege, make sure u can break their siege weapon defence, usually ranged units work for this.

13) Once u have superior tauren and wind riders ATTACK, if they make it through this wave, mix it up man, DONT FORGET TO EXPAND LIKE CRAZY. i ****in hate gold...... thats why we have PILLAGE!!!! :hxc:hxc:hxc:hxc:hxc :grunt orcs rock

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Check out the strategy section.

If you have come just off SC, and intend to play WCIII, your not going to have a good time. It is a fundamentaly different game. When you get off SC, you worry about the cap, and this and that. when I paly, I never even reach 100 in any solo games, only FFA games.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
It is a different game. Very much so. I'm having problems finding newbie games on the internet is all. So I'm ending up playing SP. Which is sad, I mean, I'm not going to get any better if I keep getting slaughter or my team members keep leaving on me.

Isn't here a channel where you people meet? Do people still use OP battleforums?

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
yea but we play then go to channels

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
PauseBreak said:
I've noticed.

I try playing online with 2vs2. About after the first 5 mins my teammate swears then leaves the game without warning. This has happened to me at least 3 times now. How depressing right? I thought I was building pretty decent. Youtell me.

NE:
First > 5 peons start gold mining.
Second > Create 5 more.
>> Build Alter of Elders
>> Build Moon Well
>> Build Ancient of War
>>With remaining 3 spirits (after creating moonwell) start getting wood.
After the Alter is made I create 5 spirits for wood and Hero (the girl with the blades)
Upgrade to Tree of Ages and during that time I make Hunters Hall > Upgrade and create Archers. It goes very smoothly.
1. put 4 wisps in goldmin, and let the other one make an altar
2. build 2 wisps
3. first wisp that comes out makes a moonwell right away
4. keep making wisps until you reach 17 food (including your hero)
5. When moonwell is finished, the wisp that was building moonwell goes to scout, when you get 100 wood, make hunter's hall
6. when you get 60 wood, make Ancient of War
7. Make moonwell whenever (hero should be out by now)
8. Creep/harass with your hero, make another Ancient of war if you want, and pump out huntresses.
9. when you have about 6~7 huntresses, uhh go for tier 2, or 4 huntreses

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Huntress over Archers? Alright, that is a good idea. Only today did I start really using the Huntress.

What are good late units to invest in? Usually I go hippogriph and dragon thing.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Shaggy.2Dope said:
Go to orcs im telling u orcs and protoss ROCK.
please shut up, all races are equally good, if he chose NE, he'll go NE, he can change his mind when he is used to the gameplay + tactics.

as mid late unit, I personally dont like NE's air units that much, so I go all ground with mixes of units from ancient of lore and maybe Druid of talon/archers.

Archers are only useful against air units... i found them pretty much useless against ground ones. Huntresses dominate tier 1 untill the enemy starts massing units like rifle man, or crypt fiends, and when they do that, you should probly hit from the behind.

well then agian, I dont really play WC that much anymore :rolleyes

BluddLuSt4Life

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.asstr.org
What are good late units to invest in? Usually I go hippogriph and dragon thing.
Unbelievable, he just got the game and already discovered chippo. :(

Either that or like 4,000,000 dryads is a good late game army.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
PauseBreak said:
Alright, I know nothing about WC. Humans battle Orcs yada yada...
I do however have a few question regarding the game and gameplay.

2) I see a LOT of people play Orc. I'm guessing, from what I've seen, is that they are a coookiecutter type of race. Everyone does the same thing.

3) I really don't have a race I know well enough. What are the strongest and the weaking. Generally. I am leading towards NE just because I think they are powerful late-game. While Orc is the early rush cheap tactics.

4) Do people not play 'comp stomps'? I'm rather new and I'd like to play with real players against harder computers.

1) depends
2) You must be joking, I see more NE than I do Orc
3) Try a race and find out
4) Ewww.... no!
5) Sure, Okamizu_sama@Azeroth

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
PauseBreak said:
All races build like in starcraft. Undead build only on blight, and they can summon and leave. Humans are made up of humans, just like Terran is made up of Humans.

2) I see a LOT of people play Orc.
Stopped reading there.

If anything, Nightelf is powerful early game, weak mid game and slightly powerful late game. Never pick your race on what other people use, pick your race to your style. Nightelves have nice fast units and hero, (All thier heros, and almost all thier units are close to 300 speed.)
If you want a tough race, get the Undead. Everyone say imbalanced, but they just suck. Thier units are slow, which is made up by heros. They have a diverse pool of strategy, and some of the coolest untis in the game.
Humans have by far the best units, and hero combinations. They have the most units to counter a strategy, and in all cases can always do so with ease.
Orc is a hit or a miss race. Thier strong, but you need to know what your doing. Thier ground units defy the standard strategy, because often they let a ranged unit (fiend) beat thier meele (grunt). It is pathetic really, but otherwise they have strong heros, all usable. They have the strongest ground units(at a higher cost) and some powerful casters and air.

If you want to know what it feels like to have your ass handed to you, I can brush off the dust and you can take a swing at me. I can give you some real time in game tips if you prefer.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
pan said:
If you want to know what it feels like to have your ass handed to you, I can brush off the dust and you can take a swing at me. I can give you some real time in game tips if you prefer.
i want some ass raping 2 :(

off topic but do trees also give cover like sc does?

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wing Zero said:
i want some ass raping 2 :(

off topic but do trees also give cover like sc does?
do you mean as in, ppl can miss? no it just covers the view, i think :S

or not.. im not sure anymore