Set Ideas for D3

Pyromancer

Member!
Reaction score
Website
necro.conforums.com
I don't know how good this would be but...
Tyreals set.
-All ethereal, but indestrctible
-Individual parts by them selves, ar only moderate, but kick when the whole set is assembled
-Let's you call on the soldiers of heaven when things get truly desperate.

Bartucs Set

-Strong individual items with little additional pluses when whole set is assembled.
-Non-ethereal, semi high durability.
-Lets you summon a few creatures of the nether world
-And as in the book, your charactor may act on the demon lord's will, and all you can do is watch. Is rare but can happen.

So, what do you guys think? And got any more ideas?

o btw, these sets, combat eachother, In a duel, the match will be one of great interestm intensity, settled by the forces of both worlds.

One set is made to be the counter of the other to maintain balance.

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
I like the idea of opposing sets, sets meant to compliment or neutralize each other. This would take a lot of balancing work and testing though.

I noticed in looking through the D2 data files that there is a non-existant item (never implemented) named 'Bartuc's Chop Chop'. Lol. That would be a good claw type weapon for your set.

In general, I think sets need to have decent individual mods, so they are at least usable, if not spectacular. Then there need to be some decent, but not earth-shaking improvements for having multiple items from the set (individual item partial-set bonuses), and then a decently impressive whole-set bonus, so people will have a reason to wear the whole set.

If sets have, 'Strong individual items with little additional pluses when whole set is assembled', then there is no incentive to use the partial or whole set. People will just use individual items with other uniques and rares. They'll be just like an Unique that's green.

Then again, I have played some mods where the individual items had pitiful mods, but as you added items of the same stats, they got bigger and better partial and full set mods, until when you had the full set, you were close to godly. This is a swing too far in the opposite direction. Single set items should have decent enough mods that people will use them as a viable alternative to uniques (maybe no the best, but in the neighborhood). And total set bonuses shouldn't be overwhelmingly good.

It's all a matter of balance, which D2 has a lot of problems with. Sets are one of the neatest ideas in D2, and one of the most poorly implemented. Very few of the sets in D2 are actually useful, especially at low or high levels.

Sigon's is good for low level melee chars. A handful of the higher sets are sometimes useful (Natalia's, Immortal King's (if you can find the impossible to find armor), etc) and a couple are actually pretty decent (Tal Rasha's and Trang-Oul's)

There are just too many junk sets that no one uses. They aren't as good as uniques, even with set bonuses. For instance, M'Avina's is pretty good except for the bow, which has pitiful stats. No zon will use this set because the bow, and damage, is the most important thing to a zon character.

Sets should be designed so that there are some that are good for low levels (like sigons, but different ones for different classes), some for middle levels, and some for high / elite.

There also need to be sets for each major character type. i.e. Spearazon, bowazon, javelinazon, swordbarb, generic barb, 2 claw assassin, claw and shield assassin, etc...

Pyromancer

Member!
Reaction score
Website
necro.conforums.com
I never thought of it that way, thats a good point. And yeah, it would be cool if they had sets built for a certain build of charactor, but if you think, its already a set out there for a sword barb, being bul katho's (sp?)

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah but it's only decent for a two-sword barb, no others, and it ain't that great at high levels.

Note on Tyrael's Set ('Tyrael's Struggle'? 'Tyrael's Burden'?)
Each item should have a decent amount of +to Light Radius, that way by the time you have the full set, you'll be glowing bright like the angel-man himself.

Oh, and to clear up a common misconception: Azurewrath was Izual's sword, not Tyrael's. And Tyrael lost his sword into the lava pit in Tal Rasha's tomb when he struggled with the Wanderer and was eventually overpowered by the released Baal. (Watch the cinematics again.)

slasher

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
but didn't tyreal make the sword and izual took it to go fight in hell?....and also i know what you talking about with lossing the sword in tal rasha's tomb (that was a decent cinematic)....but what sword did he use in the end then does that imply that he made another one?

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Either he grabbed a different one, or he recovered his old one from the flaming pit.

I remember Tyrael saying in act IV, concerning Izual, "Although Izual no longer carries the Angelic Runeblade, Azurewrath..."

Doesn't sound like he's talking about his own sword. Do you know a direct reference that states that Azure is Tyrael's?

slasher

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hmmm well i the in the ulimate strategy guide when they are talking about the NPC's in act 4 the said that tyreal was the crafter of the runeblade azurewrath.....so it's either he made it for himself and izual took it to go fight or he made it for izual......i'm not sure which but i know for sure that he made the azure

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Or keep in mind that official strategy guides are often wrong.

They are written on a shoestring budget, based on pre-production and beta information. (So they can be ready at the same time the game goes gold) They are often full of inaccuracies and/or stuff the authors just assumed.

slasher

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeah that's very true ........oh well ...wait what was this thread about oh yeah sets we should get back to that topic :)

Pyromancer

Member!
Reaction score
Website
necro.conforums.com
lol... Yeah I was thinking about what the names should be And I came up with this.
Armour: Tyreal's Plate, Sacred Plate
Defense: 750(individual)
1200 (3 peices of set)
1500 (whole set)
Sword: (insert name of Tyreal's sword here), Rune Sword
Damage: 280-400 (individual)
300-450 (3 peices)
450-600 (whole set)
Sheild: Tyreal's Guard, Blessed Ward
Defense: 120 Block 50% (individual
240 block 60% (3 Pieces)
300 block 70% (whole set)
Glove: Tyreal's Aid, War Gauntlets
Defense: 100 (By self)
150 (three peices)
200 (whole set)

This is what I got defense and damage wise...Give me a while And I'll get the mods.

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
I think it's because he's the most prominent character in the game that didn't have any items or sets named after him.

Aside from the prime evils, that is...

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Pyromancer
lol of course, It because he's the coolest :S
i dont really get it if Taryel can kick some evil ass and cares about human kind then why the hell wont he at least help u defeat diablo and others

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Actually, that's one of the interesting things speculate about Tyrael's true motives.

It wouldn't be hard to argue that Tyrael had become insane or corrupted during the centuries of guarding Baal / Tal Rasha. He could have been manipulating the Heroes of D2 into doing his dirty work for him the whole time... get rid of the Prime Evils and his rival Izual, so that he can have dominion over the earth. Wasn't it convenient that he shows up just after the defeat of Baal and smashes the Worldstone? He says no one can predict what will happen after he smashes the stone, but I bet Tryael has a pretty good idea...

hatedzero

Reaction score
Website
www.zeroskateboards.com
i think there should be a full mf set... theres tons of singled stuff.. (gull, 3 ptopz helm, nagel, etc.) but there should be a strict one...

~lucky set~
-lucky's orb
(1 handed staff, 10-15 dmg, 3LL, 5%fcr
-lucky's trench
(long leather armor[trenchcoat], 100def, 5%dmg to mana
-lucky's focus
(crown, 90 def, +15dex)
-lucky's pack
(light belt, 40def, 25xtra gold)
{post more if u wanna}
*2 items 20% mf
*3+items 50%mf
*full set 200%mf
er somethin like that

hatedzero

Reaction score
Website
www.zeroskateboards.com
dude... thats would be a ghetto intro to D3...
the heroes find that Tyrael has become twisted (fallen angel) and now decides to conjure with evil/dark crap and now he has become the fourth evil...
he'd be a cool boss to fight... give him like reddish tint to his already astonishing wings and put a scar on his face or something..

mx_spyder

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Tyrael'set being ethernal and industructible is just rediculous...
:) its not a stupid idea.. but rather a strange & crazy one :)

Tyrael's Legend

A set idea I am working on, with the help of many others...
(LordofMars...contributed a lot alredy)

Set Idea
Cain's Legacy
lol..that old fart looks weak, but he helped a whole lot during the game, giving info and stuff... + he lived thorugh diablo 1... and was in d2...and Lod... I say he's dead in d3 :)

slasher

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
maybe who knows he seems like a liver....when i get some ideas bout the set i'll post kinda busy these days....

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by mx_spyder
Cain's Legacy
lol..that old fart looks weak, but he helped a whole lot during the game, giving info and stuff... + he lived thorugh diablo 1... and was in d2...and Lod... I say he's dead in d3 :)
I'd say he was betrayed by Tyrael, or his spirit was crushed when Tryael turned into a righteous tyrant. It would be cool to meet an undead Cain in D3, like with Leoric in D1.