Servers messing with my vars

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
what can i do against servers that will do shit with my variables. for example servers with the WWCL server plugin will set brightness to 1 and you cant change it until you reload CS. thats pretty gay, so is there something to protect me against it or at least filter out gay servers and keep only heterossexual ones?

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
This really ticked me off, too. I joined a server with some newbie admins with some plugins once. They used the anti-hack plugin that screws stuff up so badly that you're usually left reinstalling Counter-Strike altogether.

I'd suggest you just put basically every cvar you think they'll change in your userconfig.cfg (which runs on every mapchange and the admins can't change). I have everything from my brightness to my video mode in there. I suggest you look at this tweak site to find which cvars you might want to put in there.

KillerMe

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.alm.web1000.com
I'm not sure if it will work, but try making your userconfig/config files read only. (this won't allow you to edit them yourself, but it'll prevent abuse).

Master's way also works.

Every so often, I reccommend you back both your userconfig and config files up (make a copy of them somewhere else) so if a server screws them up, or you do on accident you can revert them back.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Originally posted by KillerMe
I'm not sure if it will work, but try making your userconfig/config files read only.
Doh... forgot about that. It's the easy fix. Just make config.cfg read-only. If you want to change anything in the file (name, mouse sensitivity, key config, etc.), you'll have to do it manually. I don't think you would need userconfig.cfg to be read-only; a patch was released a couple months ago that fixed the leak that made it editable.