Sensor tower

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://starcraft2.com/features/terran/sensortower.xml

i believe the sensor tower has just been added.

"The downside to all this multi-spectrum output is that foes can easily detect the presence of a sensor tower and use it to identify the whereabouts of a terran base."

in the clip where the barracks tried to land, was it trying to build a nuclear reactor?

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Cool! Another terran unit. This building, can it detect invis? I hope it is useful as a tower.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
It detects invisibles by telling you the approx location they are at. I have seen this style of unit before, in Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 with the Psychic Beacons.

L

Laharl

I told you before, Chris. The no-name fool that made C&C should never have been put in charge of Starcraft 2. They should've chosen someone better, who has the capability of being ... you know, creative.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
The only difference is, that it detects units from any distance, as long as the target is moving within vicinity of the Psychic beacon. It was one reason why the Soviets were cheap in Red Alert.

L

Laharl

But that's not the point. He's recycling old, used concepts as opposed to trying to think of new ones.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Well I read a ridiculous thread in hiveworkshop, where they're saying Blizzard took ideas from C&C. As if! Blizzard are creative enough, the elves from war3 if you ask me originate from protoss, when I first saw NE, I thought what a protoss-like race from SC. Let's say with their skin and look. So the ideas of one Blizzard game may be from a previous but not from C&C. Ok even if there happens to be like 1-2 units the same as C&C, how can you say it is plagiarized as an idea? It's like 'ZOmg you're stealing my idea coz your game has tanks and mine has tanks too!'. It was pretty ridiculous in that thread, when two companies are making tech games, it's ordinary to have similar as a type units while being their own solid ideas.

L

Laharl

Blizzard doesn't invent solid ideas. They only copy from other already established games.

Then again. It's Blizzard. Ignorant fanboys keep them a float.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
There is one problem with this game/concept. There is SO much that these producers can make...and that they wanted to add into the first game that the idea are ENDLESS!

This is amazing. There is so much they can make! When units/buildings don't make the cut it can be a very sad thing. Honestly, I'd love to see a very complicated game for SC2. Just because and only because I love that universe so much.

MT, seriously. You hate too much.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Blizzard doesn't invent solid ideas. They only copy from other already established games.

Then again. It's Blizzard. Ignorant fanboys keep them a float.
Every game is borrowed from something now. You have no right to say that.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i still believe the sensor tower is useless. why not just have turrets that can be upgraded to have the sensor ability? why take the detection power away from the turret?

L

Laharl

It is useless. They also downgraded easily the weakest turret or stand-still defensive building in Sc1. It makes both kind of useless.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
The only purpose I saw Missile Turrets for was for a little extra punch with air, or if the map didn't provide Science Vessels yet. Once you get Vessels, then your units and their attacks and/or abilities can compensate for immobile towers.

The only difference with the Sensor is that it can pick up movement of your enemies, so you can see which angle they will most likely attack from. However, you reveal yourself when it picks a unit up.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
do you have to move inorder for the tower to see you? and what about cloaked? even in fog of war i don't think it can detect you until you get within range.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
In fog of war, you are marked with the !. And if you are moving a trial of !s or a moving ! will mark the location of the unit. Invisible units are apparently revealed eventually. It is designed to be an early warning system.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Man, does terran suck. Just about everything they have from Command & Conquer. What the hell is that?

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing phoenix.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
doesn't help to have EA people in their team :/

ChrisH36

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Nowadays games steal from other games, nothing is created originally. And there are a few units there that aren't c/c rip offs.