Seeing that they got rid of the dragoon..

B)ushid(o

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I wonder what they're gonna do with the Defiler abilities. With Zerglings now being able to turn into Banelings (I really hope they change that name), Dark Swarm + Banelings seem pretty overpowered. But I suspect they're not going to keep most of the original spells. I'm also worried about balancing the Mothership with everything else. That right there is like the ultimate support unit.

Another thing I'm worried about is the usefulness of fixed positional units/structures (Seige Tank, Reaver, defensive structures). Blizzard has really shifted the game to something really fast-paced. With the Reapers, Stalkers, charging Zealots, etc., I think the traditional heavy fire support units (Tank, Reaver) are greatly downplayed and almost seem like they're going to be regulated to just a defensive role. Traditional fixed defense structures will also probably take a backseat to a more mobile defense network. I can almost envision fixed defenses being useful for like five minutes before enemy units start leaking in from every corner of the base, raping cannons, bunkers, tanks, etc.

Of course, Blizzard has had a record of being able to balance games, so I hope my worries are unfounded.

Vadriel said:
I get the impression they may make ultras work kinda like Colossus. I mean, with the four legs, and being really big, they might do the groundstepping.
Yeah, I can totally see Ultralisks acting as a unit analogous to the Protoss' Colossus. I suspect going to take up the same supportive role that the Colossus was playing to the Zealots, in the gameplay video, except with Zerglings. I can also kind of see the Goliath being redesigned to become a heavy support unit, like the Colossus or Ultralisk may be. Of Course, it seems like Blizzard's going for a less conspicuous way of balancing the three powers.

And finally, I doubt they totally removed the Dark Templar as a unit and replaced it with the Stalker, since Zeratul's seen in the artwork as a regular DT.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
And they say he'll be on the game. I very much doubt Zeratul will turn into a Stalker. I'll quit it if I even hear of such blasphemy!

B)ushid(o

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
And they say he'll be on the game. I very much doubt Zeratul will turn into a Stalker. I'll quit it if I even hear of such blasphemy!
Yeah, totally. Let's hope he doesn't go the way of Fenix.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
If you read the unit description you would know the stalker is the Dark Templar's version of a dragoon/immortal. they take the soul/brokenbody/whatever of a fallen darktemplar and infuse it with the machinery.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Close, but not quite. Stalkers are Dark Templars who willingly fuse themselves into a biomechanical exoskeleton to make themselves stronger to aid the Protoss cause. Volunteers, not wounded veterans.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I really doubt the ultralisk is gonna walk up cliffs like the colossus. The ultralisk may be big, but they aren't agile by any means.

I wonder if we're gonna see any guardians or queens.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
They better not get rid of Guardians. I'll just be so pissed.

Edit: Maybe the Ultras won't do the walking thing, but it'd be interesting if they gained a big charge ability sorta like the Zeals got, only that does more damage on the first hit. They were always referred to as "battering rams" in the first SC, so it'd be interesting if they could really plow smaller units and stationary buildings.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Hmm...I like "Ram," and that it can only be done from a distance, like an old Siege Tank's attack, and a good high-damage strike would be nice.

Frankly, I think every unit type should have SOME sort of special.

Man, the coolest thing ever would be if Ultras could Burrow into the side of a cliff.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Like, making a cave? That would be neat, indeed.

Just would be weird if it was those platform maps. Altough if an Ultralisk can kill a tank, should have much problem piercing trough metal.

As long as there's no concrete there that is :p

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I just think any way to have an Ultra "hide" for a surprise attack would be awesome. They were shitty in the first game because they were so easy to see coming and start hammering before they got close. Melee units or very low-armor units were the only things that had real problems with Ultras...and even then the units built for melee were good enough at it to do a lot of damage to Ultras.

They weren't really that threatening, unless you Dark Swarmed...

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
So you would give ultra the ability to walk up cliffs, so they can run into enemy bases and pound their buildings, and then bail if neeed be doing massive, unstoppable damage?

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Cloaked Ultralisks sound awful. Leave any sort of remote cloaking to Defilers.

I wouldn't mind them having some sort of suicide attack, just not killing themselves - they can charge into opponents, dealing damage and hurting themselves. Or perhaps use their corpses as healing points for Zerglings. But don't cloak them. They are, after all, heavy damage things.*

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Never said cloak, but the ability to hide in a wall without moving. Like burrow but it can only be used at cliff faces, it would be great for ambushes.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Limited ultras per "cave" and only one "cave" per mountain side. Kthxbyeglhfdddsetc.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I was thinking it as individually-based, like the Burrow ability, but yeah, a mandatory spacing between "Burrows" would be pretty much essential.

And Pan, the way they're making this game seem to run, baseraiding is going to be a lot harder to defend against. Reapers can **** your shit up for the Terrans, and the Protoss can warp in like mad or use Colossus to just walk right in...Zerg could use something like that as well. Nydus Worms may work for that, but I wouldn't think they could pop up where there were buildings in the way.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
oh yea... btw

did anyone notice mass of zerglings kinda unburrowed right infront of the enemy units every time like groups of them were attacking a base or units? (in the gameplay stuff) Do you think thats a new skill for zerglings?

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it was Blizzard making a good show.
pewpy :( Cuz I thought lings had new ability to like crawl underground and jump up lol

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I doubt it. Nydus Worms are about as far as the Zerg need to go with unhindered movement.