Seeing that they got rid of the dragoon..

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah...nobody used vultures outside of the campaign, seemed like.

i think the goliath will stick around, and i hope they tighten up the looks of the siege tank....it looks totally gay right now.

devourers need to be gone, and the new rendered mutalisks (if that's what they are in the screenshots) are the most awkward things ever.
what? Vultures probably were one of the most abused unit in the early stage of match.. lmao

well we know shuttles are gone for sure...

and scouts and corsairs seems to be replaced... Maybe even arbitars (their recall abilities are replaced by phase something)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Dark Archon has it's ups and downs, but was useful as hell. Dark Templars are just diesel, I doubt they will be going anywhere. So hopefully if they keep Dark Templars than Dark Archons will get to stay :)
Dark Templars were freaking awesome for raiding the enemy mineral lines.

LordNevar

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
www.valhallalegends.com
Nothing like getting an arbitor, sneaking in the back of your opponents base, and recalling a massload of Dark Templars on the CC.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Most of the orginal Khala is dead...they better come up with a good reason to keep high templars. Maybe combine them w/ dark archons...

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
I say we wait a month and find out what all they are going to be getting rid of officially instead of guessing.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Get out of here. We don't want you here.

Anyways, if they take out High Templars, they take out Archons, and THAT would PISS me off. I LOVE Archons.

I think the core units will stay. I mean, Dark Templars were expansion, but that was mostly because they were so freaking awesome in the campaigns that people demanded they be available in multiplayer. They're now such a hardass part of BW that I don't see how people could just dismiss the ninjas.

It does look, however, like the Arbiter is being replaced by the "mobile pylons."

And I dunno what they've all done to the Hydras, but they are different. If you watch the cinematic trailer and the concept art, you see that the Hydralisk's arms are different...instead of a single scytheblade they look more like skeletal bladewings, kinda like Kerrigan has. NO telling what else they've done, but there's definitely a cosmetic change. Maybe Hydras are now ranged/melee units? That'd be cool, and I always thought it was funny that the most threatening-looking beast the Zerg had was ranged-only.

One thing I think would be absolutely hardass is if the Zerg Queens could infest other Terran buildings besides CCs, and pump out various infested versions of Terran units. With all the other stuff they're doing, I wouldn't be surprised if they went that far.

And a big question that comes up with the appearance of inter-terrain units...will they make anything that can move through water?

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Vultures are absolutely fundamental to TvP and they have their uses in TvT. However, half the point of Vultures is their ability to make quick raids. With the introduction of the Reaper it seems that Vultures have been superseded in this demand. As for Spider Mines, I can't really speculate what Blizzard has in store. I think it is relatively likely however that Vultures will not be present in the game, at least the way they are now, because the Reaper will have succeeded their primary purpose of raids and peon harassment.

I can also see Valkyries being removed. Storyline-wise this would make sense because Valkyries were introduced and used solely by the UED which was all but annihilated. Unless the Valkyrie becomes the Terran equivalent of the Phoenix I think it will be removed. Medics were also introduced by the UED but I think them much more likely to stay unless the Marines' new riot shields serve some extra protective purposes under certain conditions.

I think it's safe to say that the Corsair has been replaced by the Phoenix and the Warp Ray and the Arbiter (and maybe Shuttle?) by the Phase Prism and Mothership. The Nydus Canal has obviously been replaced with the Nydus Worm.

Looking at how Blizzard got rid of the Dragoon, I think the Hydralisk is likely to change as well. Both the Dragoon and the Hydralisk were generally all around good ground fighters, something that the Terrans lacked (I suppose you could maybe consider the Goliath...). The Hydralisk is the Zerg Dragoon so I think it has a decent chance of being altered enough to change its strategic purposes.

As for water units, I read in an interview (on GameSpot I think) than Blizzard doesn't intend to include any sort of naval warfare.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Actually, regarding High Templars (I noes the image sucks...):

Who are those guys?

Now, check:

That's right, 3D Psionic Storm. Our good old High Templars are as live as ever.

Found that in the third battle in the Artwork trailer. Check it out for your own. If you do, you see that psionic storm actually kills a shitload of zerglings.

munchyman

Eat your vegetables!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think reavers might be going the way of the dinosaur, or at least getting a severe revamp.

after all, they do have colossi now, although theres a part of me that suspects they won't make it to the final game....it's still in alpha, is it not?

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Ultras were virtually useless in SC. They probably gonna change them.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Ultras were virtually useless in SC. They probably gonna change them.
Useless? Ultralisks + lots of zerglings = amagad.

Specially if there was a defiler around.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Speaking of which, there's this image of the gameplay trailer (really low res I know :().

Just thought someone'd like it.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I get the impression they may make ultras work kinda like Colossus. I mean, with the four legs, and being really big, they might do the groundstepping.