SC2 without LAN?

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Some guy from THW (pha0001) posted this link

Highlights:
"According to an IncGamers interview with members of the StarCraft II team, one of the major components of the original game won't be included in the sequel -- LAN play. "We don't have any plans to support LAN," VP of game design Rob Pardo told the site."

so I'm curious. That would suck because that means no Garena that is based on LAN. Above all I prefer BNet ofc and I would play ladder the way I did war3 but Garena is the second best place to play. Private servers are crap, never touch that.

Besides, my friends play Garena so even if I ladder SC2 in BNet, I would play Garena when the net goes bad. This also looks to me like Blizzard are cutting their competition (Garena) which now has more members. Many switched to Garena.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I see it more as a way to curb piracy. If they regulate how you play mp, and you can't play LAN, your only option is B.net and they can tell if you bought the game with the cdkey.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
im sure they will have a lan copy of the game for stuff like tournies and cafes

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
im sure the chinese would figure out a way to pirate the game safely somehow. maybe a patch or a mod to enable lan.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
There's plenty of realm-editors you can get for Starcraft: Brood War right now. I'm sure they'll come out with one for SC2 which will let you specify a specific IP to connect to. Might not be as pretty, but I wouldn't underestimate the hacking community on finding a workaround for the sequel to the best-selling and most popular RTS to date.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
There's plenty of realm-editors you can get for Starcraft: Brood War right now. I'm sure they'll come out with one for SC2 which will let you specify a specific IP to connect to. Might not be as pretty, but I wouldn't underestimate the hacking community on finding a workaround for the sequel to the best-selling and most popular RTS to date.
This is what the private servers are like, they are not virtual IP LAN like Garena, they are hacked Bnet-like server with shitty connection, players and overall failure. That's what I said - better ignore. And Garena imo has become an official non-bnet playing due to its unqueness, real tournaments in which top players have participated. Nothing to do with "Hi I'm new to battleforums pls go to this link for a new ZOMG private serWer!!"

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
the wow private servers were glitched and really shit,

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
the wow private servers were glitched and really shit,
hosting a lan game and a public server are completely different. the servers are shitty and glitched because they were reverse engineered, the same wont be true of lan games, because everything you need will already be given to you, just the connection gateway will be different. imo.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Like some say, the Chinese will think of something >_<

Limewax

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
I dont care... truthfully I just want SC2.... fast plx

ElimDK

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
The Koreans will rage over this and quite frankly it will damper competitive play at events such as WSG. The only reason they're doing this is because it's the quick fix to killing programs like GHost and LC.

Mongrel

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Fail on no lan and the gaming press' ignorance in their coverage of this.

Potatosss

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
smart of blizzard to do taht since a lot of peopel like doing lan with their friends and not biuying actual copies this would force people to actually buy it lol

iRawrrr

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
DAMMMIT now how am i gonna play with my friends over GGC?