Run Warcraft III in WideScreen!

J

JakeCake26

Are you an happy owner of a widescreen monitor, I am, but maybe not so happy when i play the Warcraft III game, the image just strech out and the grapich gets realy bad..
But! I have finaly figured it out, and made a guide on how to do it..

I have a 1360*768 monitor and it looks perfect now, if it works for you please make a reply so people can see this realy works.

I made it as an .exe file, so it can auto-find some infomation for your screen, but still its an manuel 3 step guide.

Btw: If you have no experiance with computers, you will still be able to do this. just follow the guide!

+Rep please

Attachments

VanillaGorilla

Troubleshooter. Shoot that trouble!
Reaction score
Very nice guide. I just wanted to add that when you start the game, it will be in the resolution you set in the registry edit. You do not have to go and change it in the video settings. If you do, go back to the regedit and just re-input the resolution and it will work.

+Rep man

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
If I had a widescreen monitor like I do at my school, then I would test this. But I have a 1024x768 one at home.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
You could still run it in widescreen at your home. It will just look really funky.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Exactly. I prefer running my games at 1024x768 Full or 800x600 in Window. Not to small, not to large. And doesn't put a LOT of strain on the hardware. But I know how to get Wc3 running at the PCs at my school (I have seen people play DotA in the library on monitors like this one), so I guess I can try it then.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
What I meant from my previous post, is you could test it all, not use it permanently. I guess the admins at your school don't lock the computers out very much. Or people know how to go around and access an administrative account.

*EDIT* I would just like to put in a suggestion to make this thread a sticky as this would appeal to many people who are own a new laptop or LCD seeing as they are all coming in widescreen format.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Vanilla said:
I guess the admins at your school don't lock the computers out very much. Or people know how to go around and access an administrative account.
It's not that. There is a server a guy owns that has the games installed and operating on a server machine he has.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Will this help my 'too crappy laptop' problem if I reduce the war3 screen to something like emulators' screen size?

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
It can be done. But I'm not sure if theres a minimum setting the game has to be set at to run. Try it out and see how low you can go in resolution.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Actually I'm trying to make it in windowed mode. I made it with -window in Target it asked for DirectX >/= 8.1 and didn't wanna start but when I went to Compatibility Tab from the shortcut and selected run as 640x480 it worked. So, not just 640x480 but -window too, these 2 are needed. But no difference with full screen, as slow as full scrn, no point. Instead, I'm gonna use ram optimizer.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
Yeah, RAM would play a larger part than video would. And if you are having this much of a problem running warcraft, why are you trying to run it on a laptop with such low specifications? I'm not trying to be condescending, but a computer that has the specs to run warcraft isn't that expensive.

*EDIT* I don't know if anyone noticed, but I did throw a mention in to get this thread stickied. I do think this will appeal to people that own widescreen monitors/laptops.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
I can buy one for $400 like 512 RAM, I can buy for $1200 sth like 1-2 GB RAM but only 1 GHz and w/o DVD recorder.

I'm looking for 15" or more, 2GB DDR, ~2 GHz processor, DVD +-RW, CD+-RW, recorder(optional)&reader, 160 pref. 200+ GB HDD capacity, high speed at least 2 USB ports, high Video Memory card. TV tuner inside or compatible with USB TV Tuner, to work fast and with ability to capture TV in at least 640x480 res. OS: WIn XP Pro damn stupid Vista I can uninstall it to replace with Win xp Pro+SP2 as soon as I buy such laptop. That's gonna be around $2000-2500 to more, which I don't have now.

I'm looking for smth not only for war3 but such would be I think fast even for SC2 when it is out. I need smth that's good for SC2 as well.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
Well mine has all that, minus the 2GHz processor and XP w/ SP2, but it didn't cost nearly as much as that. It was only $1500 for me. Oh, I also don't have the TV tuner option as well. But I'm sure you can get a USB TV Tuner, I've seen them out there.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
My PC has a TV tuner built in. I just need to supply it with a coaxial cable into the back of the PC. But I don't want to hook up a splitter to separate my internet cable with the TV cable, it could drastically slow my internet.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
Yeah, but is your machine a tower or a laptop. I've seen lots of prebuilt machines come with tv tuners. I've never seen a laptop with a tv tuner built in before.

Letters

Reaction score
anyway, i don't like widescreens.. i just prefer the simple screen

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
So Chris, does your software allow capturing when you start a TV tuner and run a TV prog? And can u capture in 640x480? Also how is the capture - does it make delays like speech comes later ? It happens usually when a pc is slow or too many progrs are making the capturing slowlier and such bad qualities happen.

That's what I fear about USB TV tuner - if it depends on the USB port speed, are there possibilities to make delayed sound etc, from running slowly even if I dont use other programs atm?

I can buy like the one Vanilla said but it has to be at least 1.5 GHz processor but I prefer a built in TV tuner. That's why I don't hurry to buy one for $1500 when it doesn't have some things I want and why I am talking about such a crappy laptop I am trying to run war3 on.

Theroy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
I play the max resoloution funny think is my x800 lagged with war3 on full res and gfx all the way up my 8800 GT seems to handle it but some customs i still feel lag. when war3 came out there's no way any cards could handle full res on the game.,

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Impactor said:
So Chris, does your software allow capturing when you start a TV tuner and run a TV prog? And can u capture in 640x480? Also how is the capture - does it make delays like speech comes later ? It happens usually when a pc is slow or too many progrs are making the capturing slowlier and such bad qualities happen.
3 things:

1) I dont run it USB, I have it installed within my PC. It just needs a cable to allow cable TV. And yes, it is preinstalled.

2) I am running my PC on 1024x768 all the time

3) I have a newer PC, I bought it 3 weeks into September 2007.

VanillaGorilla

Reaction score
I play the max resoloution funny think is my x800 lagged with war3 on full res and gfx all the way up my 8800 GT seems to handle it but some customs i still feel lag. when war3 came out there's no way any cards could handle full res on the game.
I don't really think that the video lags if you are running such a card. I have a 7800GTX and the only reason it will lag is because of a few reasons I have come up with:

1. The map is attempting to do to much at once.

2. The internet is lagging due to poor bandwidth from any one of the users, mainly the host.

3. The processor is getting chocked up by background apps.

Other than those, I cant see any possible way the game is lagging unless you used the widescreen registry mod and you set the resolution to really high, then I can see it lagging at times. But still, come on, its an 8800GT.