REAL DISCUSSION TIME - Fast Teching, is it worth it?

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Inviting all warcraft or starcraft players in my discussion salon about this topic.

Fast teching, is it really worth it?

Fast teching is when you take no regard for the tier1 units (like Footmen and Huntresses) and you decide to tech up your main base. Then what happens? You don't get any defense but towers, you get your ass rushed before you can pull it off. Even if you managed to pull it off, you would killed by regular tier 1 units and it was all for nothing.

I personally think its the most stupid strategy someone can do. I mean, just today I lost 4 games because some dumbass tried to tech to chims and got killed trying to do it. We all said "Don't do it" and he blames us for the loss. He had no men, only one hero and he was in a rush bait zone (Gnoll Wood).

The game after that was really dumb and pathetic. The guy unsummons his main and gold mine because we didn't give him wood so he can fast necs. He doesn't do anything but sacrifice his acolytes to a creep army. The sad part was, he was lvl 38 in RT and lvl 32 in solo.

I am getting sick of techers now. Don't even think about trying it with me around...

Post your opinions, however:

No insults, no off topic-ness, and no one line answers like teching is bad. I will enforce them if necessary. This is gonna be a REAL Wc3 Discussion :D

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I can't and I am not at home. Please read the rule to this thread about OFFTOPICNESS!. PM me if you have a problem. Continue with the discussion or I will have to do something about it Luna.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hellwolf_36 said:
I mean, just today I lost 4 games because some dumbass tried to tech to chims and got killed trying to do it. We all said "Don't do it" and he blames us for the loss. He had no men, only one hero and he was in a rush bait zone (Gnoll Wood).
I think your big problem here is your playing with a partner. However when you say "we" meaning there was more than one of you? as in 3-4 rt? Taht is your problem. Newbs don't know how to tech.

You tech as orc to wyverns, UD can't do shit to you in a solo match you win. 2v2, tech to necros, badass get 11 necs, 3 wagosn, 2 stats in 6 minutes. hardcore shit right there.

tech when you know how to do it. in RT games above 2 people, jsut quit life.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
fast tech isnt good, you should have some unitsa nd at least a tower then tech, thats just me.

moved to strategies.

btw in starcraft, I believe fast tech is the key to winning and teching thar isnt same as warcraft :p

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Pan said:
I think your big problem here is your playing with a partner. However when you say "we" meaning there was more than one of you? as in 3-4 rt? Taht is your problem. Newbs don't know how to tech.

You tech as orc to wyverns, UD can't do shit to you in a solo match you win. 2v2, tech to necros, badass get 11 necs, 3 wagosn, 2 stats in 6 minutes. hardcore shit right there.

tech when you know how to do it. in RT games above 2 people, jsut quit life.
I am the shit when I actually pull off a tech. I place 2-3 Orc Towers in my base. Get grunts and headhunters to do something, or maybe casters and air. When creeps are gone, I either harass or turtle near by base and prepare for attacks on my end.

For undead I am the best techer. I hoard ghouls while I get up to Halls of the Dead (I get fiends too). Then when I get attacked, I lead them in my base a bit, then unleash the ghouls I hoarded on them. That strat alone once got me out of a 3 on 1 jam.

Pan said:
Newbs don't know how to tech.
No shit, they whine and don't do anything right. From my experience of watching others tech, they do the following mishaps.

Tech straight to tier3 (BAD IDEA!)
Blame the failure on others (they think that causing a ruckus helps, but sometimes it doesnt)
Ask for money a lot (other people can't get an army)
Don't get units (Bad thing if you have an army)
Don't tower (even b4 seige can be built)
When the tech pulls off (say chims for example) there are too many tier1/2 units and they pwn them.

If you don't incorporate these strategies into the techs. Then you are.. as Pan said, a hopeless noob.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
When I do a UD tower rush, the thing that saves me Is i actualy get to Black Citadel by the time the tower rush either fails, or I get in far enough to start pumping out frosty.s I get a shitload of cash for that strat, and when it comes to it, it works alot more than not.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I sometimes to Fake Tr when I tech. I build like 2 or 3 towers with a shop outside the guys base. Sometimes, the real noobies think I am actually tower rushing them and they leave the game, try to stop me when I have a load of men. Or sometimes get other people to tp with them.

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Hellwolf_36 said:
Inviting all warcraft or starcraft players in my discussion salon about this topic.

Fast teching, is it really worth it?

Fast teching is when you take no regard for the tier1 units (like Footmen and Huntresses) and you decide to tech up your main base. Then what happens? You don't get any defense but towers, you get your ass rushed before you can pull it off. Even if you managed to pull it off, you would killed by regular tier 1 units and it was all for nothing.

I personally think its the most stupid strategy someone can do. I mean, just today I lost 4 games because some dumbass tried to tech to chims and got killed trying to do it. We all said "Don't do it" and he blames us for the loss. He had no men, only one hero and he was in a rush bait zone (Gnoll Wood).

The game after that was really dumb and pathetic. The guy unsummons his main and gold mine because we didn't give him wood so he can fast necs. He doesn't do anything but sacrifice his acolytes to a creep army. The sad part was, he was lvl 38 in RT and lvl 32 in solo.

I am getting sick of techers now. Don't even think about trying it with me around...

Post your opinions, however:

No insults, no off topic-ness, and no one line answers like teching is bad. I will enforce them if necessary. This is gonna be a REAL Wc3 Discussion :D

I think the time of reaching tier3 is a very important thing in the game of Warcraft.
Firstly because tier3 gives u access to all that a race has to offer, the superunits of all the races are in tier3 and secondly until u get those units there are many upgrades for the primary units like :ghoul frenzy, jumping glaives, marksmanship, troll berseker ; and this upgrades help to make the connection between tier1 units and tier3.Sometimes the ultimate upgrades for the primary units (like ghoul frenzy) can be the final weapon (with vampiric aura, statue and upgrades).I saw alot of games ending because of huntress + archer + dryad+ druid of the talon and these are not tier3 units but there are many tier3 upgrades for them.
A good tier3 army depends on at least the second gold mine.
I too say that forced tier3 helped by towers will never work.This strategy can be used in 3v3 or 4v4 but not even there too often.
In the end I want to state that tier strategy and the moments of tier upgrade is one of the main things that defines each Warcraft player as being good or bad.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
TheoStormHawk said:
Firstly because tier3 gives u access to all that a race has to offer, the superunits of all the races are in tier3 and secondly until u get those units there are many upgrades for the primary units like :ghoul frenzy, jumping glaives, marksmanship, troll berseker ; and this upgrades help to make the connection between tier1 units and tier3.Sometimes the ultimate upgrades for the primary units (like ghoul frenzy) can be the final weapon (with vampiric aura, statue and upgrades).I saw alot of games ending because of huntress + archer + dryad+ druid of the talon and these are not tier3 units but there are many tier3 upgrades for them.
You bring a valid case. Some units do need the tier 3 upgrades in order to be better. However, the problem with RT games is most people don't get units and end up getting rushed. If you don't have some basic units to defend yourself, you are screwed. When I tech, as I stated earlier I get tier 1/2 units so I can do an action besides turtle at my base doing nothing.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
RT is not a teching game. Solo and FFA is. FFA it is a tech game. period.

Tier 3 is vital to FFA. it is common knowledge that rushing in a ffa game creates not only bad blood but slows both players down, while the other players get to thier greatest assets in thier race.

Solo is good for teching, but not just teching. straight techs in solos don't always work, they also don't in RT either. However some strategies rely on it (NE bear tech is highly successful)

Reaction score
teching is good when you know when and how to do it. Teching is not for ffa IMO. FFA, if more then 1 person spots u then your dead. In RT your allies are most likely to distract the enemy allowing you an easier tech. In AT games, your partner and you can easily distract the other team while you tech. Its all in how you play and execute

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
That is just the thing, Everyone in FFA games tech, everyone. Only people that don't, are the ones that suicide, basicly becasue if you attack early, your behind everyone else. Best player in the FFA game, techs. FFA games are so long, no one attacks early. Everything is at tier and depends on heros.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I know because I used to do it. I used my Farseer, Grunts and Headhunters and forced the enemy to turtle at his base teh whole time. Then later, I teched to Fortress brought some Shaman, Raiders and Tauren and totally pwned his ass while he was still on tier2.

Reaction score
what do you expect? this is a game where you try to stay alive the longest, not run your army into your enemies, win, then get killed by everyone else. like someone said, you have to get to tier 3 to get the best advantages against all units

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pan said:
Pan said:
RT is not a teching game. Solo and FFA is. FFA it is a tech game. period.

Tier 3 is vital to FFA. it is common knowledge that rushing in a ffa game creates not only bad blood but slows both players down, while the other players get to thier greatest assets in thier race.

Solo is good for teching, but not just teching. straight techs in solos don't always work, they also don't in RT either. However some strategies rely on it (NE bear tech is highly successful)
I completely support this opinion about 3v3 and 4v4 RT - newb partners why do u play with them i dont know ... . When we are talking about solo- you know what is best like UD to tech to tier 3 , it seems for all races and in most cases. Or Human can beat UD with tier 2 too.. there are some possible things.

In FFA what you do ( i am NOT very good and I havent seen good Human replays winning on FFAs) i think, is to start like solo - you kill the opponents closer to you with what you usually use vs races. Obviously you will lose units or you will have enough food to make some tier 3 units. UD goes tier 3 - even for necros and mass gargs, orc goes to tier 3, elf too - every race. What Is very important is to have expand- early expo and even more than 1. Then you should tech fast and make what is needed.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Human is really, really good in FFA. As random, i have never lsot when using humans. Basicly humans have the most balanced army of all the races, and in one army can counter everything basily. Something no other race can really do.

However the army you get in FFa games will never be achieved in solo or any other game type. Alot of people think you can just swoop in early in a FFA game, but it is alot harder to finish someone off, and alot of times a third part will come in and destroy you both. Alot of times I have heard people yel out who is attacking them, then 5 minutes later both have been eliminated.

Basicly saying, early attacks in FFA games are hard, and you most likely will never win like that.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Mystic Sorcerer said:
I completely support this opinion about 3v3 and 4v4 RT - newb partners why do u play with them i dont know ... . When we are talking about solo- you know what is best like UD to tech to tier 3 , it seems for all races and in most cases. Or Human can beat UD with tier 2 too.. there are some possible things.
I need to because Ghouls kick ass with Ghoul Frenzy. Plus, wyrms when microed and used properly wipe out your melee problems. But yes, I am sick of teching 3on3 and 4on4. Even lvl 20s don't pull it off correctly.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If you want to fast tech then you can either rely on luck and hope you aren't attacked or you can harrass your enemy continually until the tech kicks in.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Luck is for the weak, I would aim towards the second strategy.