Rap Rap Rap

Reaction score
Creativity makes it an art form not music. No one ever said rap wasn't creative.

There's a HUGE difference between a repetitive song structure and a looped drum machine. That's like saying all poems with the same rhyme scheme are exactly the same. Music in general (not limiting to rock v.s. rap... there are many forms of music that are not repetitive, i.e. Jazz) takes instrumental skill. Rap takes creative songwriting skill. And yes I'm sure there are some rap musicians that have real instruments backing them up, but the vast majority don't.

And their vocal melody is much more restricted than most other music.
No, but you said rap isn't music, when it clearly is. Just because you don't like the style, doesn't automatically make it not music. I can't stand country, but I still know it's music. I can't stand most techno and all forms of it, yet I still know it's music.

Seriously, you've guys have yet to bring up valid reasons why rap isn't music. You bring in Jazz, I bring in free styling. You bring in the 'real instrument skill', I bring in the producers that have more skill and knowledge than most musicians out there. You say that rap is just repitive over and over, and like I said before, there are rock and every form of music that is like that.

So, anything else you wanna add?

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Both sides haven't really proved anything in this argument. It's mostly just been saying things without any real evidence. Not to mention its a rather pointless topic to argue about, we wont change your minds and you wont change ours. So why don't we just listen to what we want and share anything that in particular we like?

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
No, but you said rap isn't music, when it clearly is. Just because you don't like the style, doesn't automatically make it not music. I can't stand country, but I still know it's music. I can't stand most techno and all forms of it, yet I still know it's music.
I also cannot stand either genre, and yet I consider both music. It's not a case of OMG I HATE RAP IT CAN'T BE MUSIC.

For me, spoken word =/= singing, and I think that's the issue for me here.

As for the producers having plenty of knowledge and skill, I'm sure they do, it would take quite a bit of work to put together a rap album. That doesn't mean that skill is necessarily musical.

L

Laharl

Rap is: Spoken word, with background rhythm.

Poetry: Spoken word, often with background rhythm.

Rap = bad poetry.

/end.

Airgoh

Member!
Reaction score
Rap is: Spoken word, with background rhythm.

Poetry: Spoken word, often with background rhythm.

Rap = bad poetry.

/end.
Wow.

Theres so much more to it then spoken word... it's not even spoken, it's far from that.

And you clump "background rhythm" into it.. it's so much more then background rhythm... some of it(the good ****) is complex ****.. theres timing and everything else.. and plus the good hip hop is pretty much some of the most creative lyrical **** out there.

I mean, we can clump "rock" music together too. It has vocals, and background rhythm. The background rhythm is usually verse, verse, bridge, chorus then repeat from there. The timing is generally just 4/4.. It's not all that unique...

But as with "rap" theres the good ****.. and that's all I listen to.. the good ****

Reaction score
I also cannot stand either genre, and yet I consider both music. It's not a case of OMG I HATE RAP IT CAN'T BE MUSIC.

For me, spoken word =/= singing, and I think that's the issue for me here.

As for the producers having plenty of knowledge and skill, I'm sure they do, it would take quite a bit of work to put together a rap album. That doesn't mean that skill is necessarily musical.
What about songs without Vocals? Guess that isn't music either? :rolleyes:

GAHEADGA

Member!
Reaction score
raps the best and nobody can change it because i will kill everyone in this thread

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Wow.

Theres so much more to it then spoken word... it's not even spoken, it's far from that.

And you clump "background rhythm" into it.. it's so much more then background rhythm... some of it(the good ****) is complex ****.. theres timing and everything else.. and plus the good hip hop is pretty much some of the most creative lyrical **** out there.

I mean, we can clump "rock" music together too. It has vocals, and background rhythm. The background rhythm is usually verse, verse, bridge, chorus then repeat from there. The timing is generally just 4/4.. It's not all that unique...

But as with "rap" theres the good ****.. and that's all I listen to.. the good ****
While it's true most rock is in 4/4 and simple there's a reason why I like metal. Variation. Listen to Blackened by Metallica and try and tell me what time its in. And Rush with there 10 and 7 times. I like that variation. While Megadeth is normally 4/4 or 12/8 the guitar work is complicated enough to make up for it in my opinion.