Raid Roles

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
You level 60s, mind to tell me what is the role of each char in a raid? Instancing, that is. Mage goes for crowd control and AoE, as well as buffing int and giving out water and food to everyone. Anything else?

That goes for all classes, if you can :)

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Shamans are just extra healers really, but depending on the boss, you can use Shamans for more than that.

For some ZG bosses (Bat, Spider etc) Shamans are required to hang around fairly close to the boss so they can spam earth shock rank 1 if the boss starts casting a heal.

If a Shaman is resto they are generally put in a group full of healers so their mana regen goes through the roof.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I'm asking this because I made Gnomeregan today, and me and a rogue were competing to see who did the most damage. My damage peaks were when there were those mechanical chickens (elite) surrounded by a bunch of non-elite lepper gnomes, and I told the other guys to focus fire on the chicken, and AoE the hell out the gnomes. As they were usually about 8, with around 1k health, I made 8k damage in those times :) (Flamestrike, Cone of Cold, Frost Nova, Arcane Explosion, Blast Wave and Solid Dyname [I'm only level 33] beat the hell out of them). But that's about the best a mage can do. Otherwise, polymorphing is excelent, too.

Just got curious :)

The rogue won at the boss, though, because I died when I pulled the aggro out of the priest... Bastard. Won by like 2k...

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah, obviously, it's fast and high damage, so it only makes sense :p

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Actually 2 of our Fire-spec'd Mages beat 2 of our best Rogues last night in DPS in AQ40. :)

Druids are completely tamed into healers endgame. While some may contest that they do decent DPS in feralform, they don't really compare to a Mage when it comes to spellcasting and mana-efficiency, nor do they crit as high as a Rogue, DPS Warrior or Hunter in feral form. Their heals are rediculously powerful however. I've seen 7.6k+ crit heals by Druids before.

Endgame, there's not a lot Mages can polymorph, pretty much everything is immune, or non-humanoid, the exception being Majordomo Executus's guards. And starting out in MC/Ony, you're pretty much just spamming the Frostbolt/Conjure Water button from beginning to end.

Priests obviously just spamming heals. In AQ40, they're needed to Mana Burn certain mobs that will blow up the entire raid if it aquires full mana however. It starts out with 0, and sucks a little bit from everyone in the raid. Our guild did recruit a Shadow Priest for extra DPS, but he was usually below all of the Mages and Rogues. In the end it was more worth it to just recruit another Rogue or Mage.

I've never really noticed the role of Warlocks, though it seems they're mostly used for DoTs and Curse of Elements/Curse of Shadow. Typically the Warlocks that I see trying to go all-out with DPS usually rip agro off the tanks, and die, so while they may try at first to do as much damage as they can, you'll see them start to calm down as their repair bill starts to hit their wallet.

Don't really feel like finishing the rest of this right now though. =(

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
For horde, soulstones are unnecessary but are used anyway. It just saves one shaman 18 silver. The cost of an ankh.

Damnit i want a 60 shaman. Too bad it's the most-played race on horde. Too bad most people suck at playing shamans. Too bad most shaman names are "Lolfrostshock", "Whathappen", "Ipwnyou". Gives me the shits. WTB DIAGO.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
For the record, it's always nice to see an end-game guild have one druid who is a tank. There's not much leather tanking gear out there, but it exists.