PSP

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
"God hates Console fanboys." lol i <3 CAD

first off allow me to say the following: i have played both of these systems. i dont own either (yet) and im not saying "one completely sux the other one is god gg"

now, with that said, ont o my review.

the DS:

Yes, the dual screen is great for the castlevania series + racing games, but other then that i dont think its a big deal. theres not much that can be done w/ this that is all that great, other then "this screen will be for the map/inventory, and this one will be gameplay" all it seems to do is get rid of the button pushing to reach the inventory/map screen, but doesnt create any ease, as you still have to be in a safe area to use it because you obviously cant look at the map to figure out wher eu need to go while being attacked by monsters. same with trying to use an item in the inventory. you still have to be in a safe place, and make sure ur safe, wrather than just hit the pause button.

the ds is an intersting concept what with the touchscreen and all. But i do not like having to use the touch screen. having to break blocks on castlevania with the stylus/your finger sucks, when i DO use the touch screen im very uncomfortible doing so, as i have to move my hand from a holding position to a "hold the stylus" position. for fps games (metroid) i don tlike having to use the touch screen to shoot / move / turn into the ball. i prefer to use the dpad + buttons, its what i grew up with, its more comfortible. although i can see the touch screen being usful to chat with (not having to scroll though a picture of a keyboard to hit A, then scrolling over for L, or something like that, instead i can just hit the letters w/ the stylus) but other then that, everything that it can be used for i believe is fine w/ the dpad + buttons.

the microphone is an interesting idea, but i dont think itll be used for much other than novelty. they attempted a microphone for the n64 back in th' day, and i believe the only thing that it was used for was that pikachu pet game, and that game w/ the fish w/ the human head... other then that i dont think its goin to be very useful (cyber sex maybe w/ internet chat?)

in short i think that its just a large novelty. the ideas are interseting, but are not needed, and dont bring anything that amazing to the handheld community.

the psp:

although the psp doesnt bring any new ideas to the handheld community, i do like it. it has a large screen (bigger is always better) that is not seperated (ie in metroid/castlevania you can see just as much as on a gba, but you can now see a map/inventory too) so you can now see more of your surroundings. the color scheeme is an amazing amount (i believe a few million?) and the fact that it can play mp3's is a great add-on

however, the movie idea i dont like. although i havnt used it to watch a movie yet, i dont like the idea of having to buy special disks (i think) that cant be read on anything but it (i think) to watch movies, which takes xtra long to setup. if i could just pop a DVD in and play it i would be all for this concept, but the fact that you have to buy special disks and/or set it up, makes this a bit of a bad idea in my eyes

the mp3 ability is amazing (not sure how it works but i have listened to music, friend was doing it so i have no clue how you get music on it) now that its like a portible music player + game player gives it a very added bonus

sadly, the battery life sucks, but theres always ways to fix that (you can always create a way to have it connect to a bigger batter for added life, ive done it w/ my gba)

in short, i give the psp a well > over the gba.

i will not put them head to head via games yet, because neither of them have been around long enough to put out games, its biast to base them on release games in my opinion.

Miss

Member!
Reaction score
Pains Requiem said:
digi camera-$320 to $400
phone with camera-$100-$200
mp3 player-$190 to $290
songs/disc total costs-$50
xbox-$100-$200

PSP-$200

the psp can have all of those in 1, and costs about 550 bucks less. and its portable, which is another big issue.
Doesn't matter price wise because that not the point I was saying I had all the stuff it features before it even came out why do I want all that stuff again? As well I'm in Canada so it costs 299 here.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can someone please confirm or deny the rumor that PSP can play DVD's? Well, not play them, but you can somehow transfer the movie so the PSP can play it.

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
All im saying is, Miss, that the PSP is a better buy because it has all the features of many other products in one simple handheld game.

A lot of people i know when they hear both SOny and Nintendo are coming out with systems, they always wait to see what makes the bigger sells. havent heard much from gameCube, but the PS2 from what i hear, owns the Cube. (im not rying to base my arguement of PSPvDS with this, im just pointing out facts.)
EVEN THOUGH Microsoft pulled one out of their ass with Xbox, ps2 still won v nintendo.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Pains Requiem said:
All im saying is, Miss, that the PSP is a better buy because it has all the features of many other products in one simple handheld game.
It is more of a hassle. the memory sticks are expensive as hell, you can buy another PSP with the price of the 1 gig memory disk. The UMd is a waste. you have to own every movie you own, on a UMd jsut to play it on the PSP? Waste. Why the hell do you need images on your PSP? what possible use could you fathom from that. I understand a picture phone, and a camera, something the PSP doesnt have. so why images? They threw that in to "wow" everyone into buying osmehting they don't need.

A lot of people i know when they hear both SOny and Nintendo are coming out with systems, they always wait to see what makes the bigger sells. havent heard much from gameCube, but the PS2 from what i hear, owns the Cube. (im not rying to base my arguement of PSPvDS with this, im just pointing out facts.)
EVEN THOUGH Microsoft pulled one out of their ass with Xbox, ps2 still won v nintendo.
Xbox>PS2>gamecube sales in north America
Gamecube sales> xbox> PS2 sales in the UK.
Gamecube sales >Ps2>>>>> Xbox sales in Japan

Miss

Member!
Reaction score
ArtOfProtoss said:
Can someone please confirm or deny the rumor that PSP can play DVD's? Well, not play them, but you can somehow transfer the movie so the PSP can play it.
Using the USB port to connect your PSP to your PC, allows you to transfer movies onto your PSP as well as pictures and music. Horriable space for movies though. PSP doesn't play DVD's it plays a new system/different format called UMD's; Universal Media Discs. You need UMD's to play it and won't play DVD's.

Pains Requiem said:

If you have none of those before then I wouldn't go buy them all nor would I buy a PSP. So sure it is a better buy perhaps to those who don't have anything, but to someone like me who has all its features already (since I got all that stuff like 2 years ago) the PSP is pretty useless to me.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Miss said:
Using the USB port to connect your PSP to your PC, allows you to transfer movies onto your PSP as well as pictures and music. Horriable space for movies though. PSP doesn't play DVD's it plays a new system/different format called UMD's; Universal Media Discs. You need UMD's to play it and won't play DVD's.

Wow. Thanks. I might be getting it soon then :). Plus, the UMD thing really isn't that bad. Unless they cost more than the dvd's. If, however, they end up costing even a little less I think the sales will go through the roof as something like a portable DVD player.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
seems like games, for any system, always seems to be around 40-50bucks
(so Pan will shut up, i mean just about every system AFTER the Dreamcast)
if the movie UMDs cost more than 20.. i might hav a little problem with that

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Pains Requiem said:
seems like games, for any system, always seems to be around 40-50bucks
(so Pan will shut up, i mean just about every system AFTER the Dreamcast)
if the movie UMDs cost more than 20.. i might hav a little problem with that
What the hell are you talking about? shut me up for what? you make no sense.

and UMd movies 3,800-3,900 yen (roughly $36-38)

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
its not hard to read, Pan.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i mentioned the dreamcast. re-read my post

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If it is and continues to stay at 36-38 dollars that will suck. But for some reason I think Pan's prices will be a little bit higher then ours ^_^

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
ArtOfProtoss said:
If it is and continues to stay at 36-38 dollars that will suck. But for some reason I think Pan's prices will be a little bit higher then ours ^_^
That was american prices. I would get it at 45$ likely

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
February 7 - 13, 2005
PSP - 45,972
PlayStation 2 - 39,889
Nintendo DS - 26,205
Game Boy Advance SP - 10,372
GameCube - 4,499
Game Boy Advance - 573
Xbox - 262

February 14 - 20, 2005
PlayStation 2 - 38,954
PSP - 38,314
Nintendo DS - 22,363
Game Boy Advance SP - 10,849
GameCube - 3,256
Game Boy Advance - 399
Xbox - 295

PSP fell slightly below PS2. :p

PlayStation 2 - 44,378
PSP - 41,867
Nintendo DS - 26,761
Game Boy Advance SP - 11,124
GameCube - 3,351
Game Boy Advance - 341
Xbox - 245

PS2 extended its lead over PSP.

February 28 - March 6, 2005
PSP - 47,633
PlayStation 2 - 44,228
Nintendo DS - 25,759
Game Boy Advance SP - 12,307
GameCube - 3,635
Game Boy Advance - 398
Xbox - 177

PSP got back ahead of PS2.

March 7 - 13, 2005
PSP - 46,307
PlayStation 2 - 41,349
Nintendo DS - 26,537
Game Boy Advance SP - 14,596
GameCube - 4,245
Game Boy Advance - 616
Xbox - 244

More of the same.

March 14 - 20, 2005
PSP - 43,644
PlayStation 2 - 40,270
Nintendo DS - 22,446
Game Boy Advance SP - 11,013
GameCube - 3,357
Game Boy Advance - 477
Xbox - 345

The gap between PSP and DS is again around 20K.

Just wanted to post this in both threads. Xbox is really tanking in sales :/

EDIT: And for those who don't know, these are Japan sales.

Miss

Member!
Reaction score
ArtOfProtoss said:
Miss said:

Wow. Thanks. I might be getting it soon then :). Plus, the UMD thing really isn't that bad. Unless they cost more than the dvd's. If, however, they end up costing even a little less I think the sales will go through the roof as something like a portable DVD player.
UMD's Canadian are 39 up to 59. Averaging about 49 depending on the title.