PSP

Discussion in 'Game Talk' started by Emperor Pan I, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ArtOfProtoss

ArtOfProtoss Member!

North Carolina
    PSP, might be different where you live or whatever, is 200 $ clean, no nothing, but for 250 $ you get an adapator, and stuff like that.

2. Pains Requiem

Pains Requiem BattleForums Senior Member

north carolina
    i got Spiderman2, sampler disc, psp, 2 cords that act as a charger and adaptor, battery, headphones, memory stick- i got it all for 200 bucks clean

3. ArtOfProtoss

ArtOfProtoss Member!

North Carolina
    Lucky mofo. :)

4. Emperor Pan I

Emperor Pan I Respected Member

Canada
    200$ american with exchange rate = 360$ canadian

5. Dragnskull

Dragnskull Retired Staff

Humble, Texas
    "God hates Console fanboys." lol i <3 CAD

first off allow me to say the following: i have played both of these systems. i dont own either (yet) and im not saying "one completely sux the other one is god gg"

now, with that said, ont o my review.

the DS:

Yes, the dual screen is great for the castlevania series + racing games, but other then that i dont think its a big deal. theres not much that can be done w/ this that is all that great, other then "this screen will be for the map/inventory, and this one will be gameplay" all it seems to do is get rid of the button pushing to reach the inventory/map screen, but doesnt create any ease, as you still have to be in a safe area to use it because you obviously cant look at the map to figure out wher eu need to go while being attacked by monsters. same with trying to use an item in the inventory. you still have to be in a safe place, and make sure ur safe, wrather than just hit the pause button.

the ds is an intersting concept what with the touchscreen and all. But i do not like having to use the touch screen. having to break blocks on castlevania with the stylus/your finger sucks, when i DO use the touch screen im very uncomfortible doing so, as i have to move my hand from a holding position to a "hold the stylus" position. for fps games (metroid) i don tlike having to use the touch screen to shoot / move / turn into the ball. i prefer to use the dpad + buttons, its what i grew up with, its more comfortible. although i can see the touch screen being usful to chat with (not having to scroll though a picture of a keyboard to hit A, then scrolling over for L, or something like that, instead i can just hit the letters w/ the stylus) but other then that, everything that it can be used for i believe is fine w/ the dpad + buttons.

the microphone is an interesting idea, but i dont think itll be used for much other than novelty. they attempted a microphone for the n64 back in th' day, and i believe the only thing that it was used for was that pikachu pet game, and that game w/ the fish w/ the human head... other then that i dont think its goin to be very useful (cyber sex maybe w/ internet chat?)

in short i think that its just a large novelty. the ideas are interseting, but are not needed, and dont bring anything that amazing to the handheld community.

the psp:

although the psp doesnt bring any new ideas to the handheld community, i do like it. it has a large screen (bigger is always better) that is not seperated (ie in metroid/castlevania you can see just as much as on a gba, but you can now see a map/inventory too) so you can now see more of your surroundings. the color scheeme is an amazing amount (i believe a few million?) and the fact that it can play mp3's is a great add-on

however, the movie idea i dont like. although i havnt used it to watch a movie yet, i dont like the idea of having to buy special disks (i think) that cant be read on anything but it (i think) to watch movies, which takes xtra long to setup. if i could just pop a DVD in and play it i would be all for this concept, but the fact that you have to buy special disks and/or set it up, makes this a bit of a bad idea in my eyes

the mp3 ability is amazing (not sure how it works but i have listened to music, friend was doing it so i have no clue how you get music on it) now that its like a portible music player + game player gives it a very added bonus

sadly, the battery life sucks, but theres always ways to fix that (you can always create a way to have it connect to a bigger batter for added life, ive done it w/ my gba)

in short, i give the psp a well > over the gba.

i will not put them head to head via games yet, because neither of them have been around long enough to put out games, its biast to base them on release games in my opinion.

6. Miss

Miss Member!

Doesn't matter price wise because that not the point I was saying I had all the stuff it features before it even came out why do I want all that stuff again? As well I'm in Canada so it costs 299 here.

7. ArtOfProtoss

ArtOfProtoss Member!

North Carolina
    Can someone please confirm or deny the rumor that PSP can play DVD's? Well, not play them, but you can somehow transfer the movie so the PSP can play it.

8. Pains Requiem

north carolina
    All im saying is, Miss, that the PSP is a better buy because it has all the features of many other products in one simple handheld game.

A lot of people i know when they hear both SOny and Nintendo are coming out with systems, they always wait to see what makes the bigger sells. havent heard much from gameCube, but the PS2 from what i hear, owns the Cube. (im not rying to base my arguement of PSPvDS with this, im just pointing out facts.)
    EVEN THOUGH Microsoft pulled one out of their ass with Xbox, ps2 still won v nintendo.

9. Emperor Pan I

Canada
    It is more of a hassle. the memory sticks are expensive as hell, you can buy another PSP with the price of the 1 gig memory disk. The UMd is a waste. you have to own every movie you own, on a UMd jsut to play it on the PSP? Waste. Why the hell do you need images on your PSP? what possible use could you fathom from that. I understand a picture phone, and a camera, something the PSP doesnt have. so why images? They threw that in to "wow" everyone into buying osmehting they don't need.

Xbox>PS2>gamecube sales in north America
    Gamecube sales> xbox> PS2 sales in the UK.
    Gamecube sales >Ps2>>>>> Xbox sales in Japan

10. Miss

Miss Member!

Using the USB port to connect your PSP to your PC, allows you to transfer movies onto your PSP as well as pictures and music. Horriable space for movies though. PSP doesn't play DVD's it plays a new system/different format called UMD's; Universal Media Discs. You need UMD's to play it and won't play DVD's.

If you have none of those before then I wouldn't go buy them all nor would I buy a PSP. So sure it is a better buy perhaps to those who don't have anything, but to someone like me who has all its features already (since I got all that stuff like 2 years ago) the PSP is pretty useless to me.

11. ArtOfProtoss

ArtOfProtoss Member!

North Carolina

12. Pains Requiem

north carolina
    seems like games, for any system, always seems to be around 40-50bucks
    (so Pan will shut up, i mean just about every system AFTER the Dreamcast)
    if the movie UMDs cost more than 20.. i might hav a little problem with that

13. Emperor Pan I

Canada
    What the hell are you talking about? shut me up for what? you make no sense.

and UMd movies 3,800-3,900 yen (roughly $36-38)

14. Pains Requiem

north carolina
    its not hard to read, Pan.

15. Emperor Pan I

Canada
    you start talking about Dreamcast out of no where.

16. Pains Requiem

north carolina
    i mentioned the dreamcast. re-read my post

17. Emperor Pan I

Canada
    I re-read it, and it makes no sense

18. ArtOfProtoss

ArtOfProtoss Member!

North Carolina
    If it is and continues to stay at 36-38 dollars that will suck. But for some reason I think Pan's prices will be a little bit higher then ours ^_^

19. Emperor Pan I

Canada
    That was american prices. I would get it at 45$ likely

20. ArtOfProtoss

ArtOfProtoss Member!

North Carolina
    February 7 - 13, 2005
    PSP - 45,972
    PlayStation 2 - 39,889
    Nintendo DS - 26,205
    Game Boy Advance SP - 10,372
    GameCube - 4,499
    Game Boy Advance - 573
    Xbox - 262

February 14 - 20, 2005
    PlayStation 2 - 38,954
    PSP - 38,314
    Nintendo DS - 22,363
    Game Boy Advance SP - 10,849
    GameCube - 3,256
    Game Boy Advance - 399
    Xbox - 295

PSP fell slightly below PS2. :p

PlayStation 2 - 44,378
    PSP - 41,867
    Nintendo DS - 26,761
    Game Boy Advance SP - 11,124
    GameCube - 3,351
    Game Boy Advance - 341
    Xbox - 245

PS2 extended its lead over PSP.

February 28 - March 6, 2005
    PSP - 47,633
    PlayStation 2 - 44,228
    Nintendo DS - 25,759
    Game Boy Advance SP - 12,307
    GameCube - 3,635
    Game Boy Advance - 398
    Xbox - 177

PSP got back ahead of PS2.

March 7 - 13, 2005
    PSP - 46,307
    PlayStation 2 - 41,349
    Nintendo DS - 26,537
    Game Boy Advance SP - 14,596
    GameCube - 4,245
    Game Boy Advance - 616
    Xbox - 244

More of the same.

March 14 - 20, 2005
    PSP - 43,644
    PlayStation 2 - 40,270
    Nintendo DS - 22,446
    Game Boy Advance SP - 11,013
    GameCube - 3,357
    Game Boy Advance - 477
    Xbox - 345

The gap between PSP and DS is again around 20K.

Just wanted to post this in both threads. Xbox is really tanking in sales :/

EDIT: And for those who don't know, these are Japan sales.