PS4 usb connections?

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is my opinion that the PS4 will obviously adopt the USB 3.0 standard that will be in place by the time of its release. Speeds much faster than USB 2.0 although the speed difference is unimportant for most of the peripherals that the system will use, the cost is not much higher at all and will allow for backing up of the system to be much much quicker and allow the system to expand into new technologies that their peripherals may evolve into. A high definition video chat is a perfect example.

The question is, has USB3 even caught on so far? It's been out for ages now but I still don't see many USB3 devices
M4dn3ss

by kookmang » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 pm

All the computers at my college campus have usb3.0 ports on them but I don't think there is a real need for many devices to work that fast. USB is mostly used for keyboards, mice, and thumb-drives, and if your a normal person you really won't need the speed of usb3.0 over that of 2.0 to transfer a word document.

The difference is when you use devices like external hard drives, etc. Which are catching on to USB 3.0 (for the computer user that is a bit educated). Other than that it is a bit of a slow adoption because I don't think there is a huge demand for such speed in peripheral devices, but I have a strong feeling that PS4 will come out with such devices and to bottleneck the capabilities of the machine when the cost will be decimal, is a bit irresponsible and not in line with Sony's brand image.

Although Sony could adopt eSATA just as easily as usb3.0

eSATA showed promise but kinda failed, USB3 is more likely to succeed I think