Post Random Facts about Starcraft :O

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Not as bad though. It takes ALOT to get most ranged units to stop. Valkryies are bugged when only medium fire is present. This is why they suck at Air Evolves. :p

@Lord of Nukes: Thats an awesome reply! =D

But I think Goliaths change their sprite once they research Charon Boosters Upgrade, because the smoke from the missles is blue instead of a grayish color. ^^;
As bad sir, look at dragoon.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Dragoon is also one of them. I can get 48 Dragoons to fire in normal play. I can't do that with Valkryies. And most other air units still fire while Valkyries do not. :)

Pretty sure any air unit with missles will fire less or not at all...go BC's! :D

Anyhow, I checked this and the Battlecruisers Commodore is a lower rank then the Wraith's Captain is. :p

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
heres a fact
The info in the SC manual says that the marines are femalee and male convicts
theres no female marine :(

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
In the images on the back of the SC box, the ones he forgot, it showed Tanks attacking air units, and Wraiths firing missles at land units and stuff like that.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The original Design of Starcraft was based off the Warcraft II engine. Meanings the game owuld have looked very similar to starcraft. Due to poor quality, and alot of criticism about how similar it was to warcraft II, most of the team was fired, and an entirely new engine was created jsut for Starcraft.

The entire zerg race was based on "Starship Troopers" the movie. They were not however based on the original Heinlein book "starship Troopers" which the movie was based on. this is simply becuase the movie distorted the original intentions of the book.

If you look at the zerg race, they are almsot identical to much of the bugs in Starship Troopers. A cerebrete closely resembles the "mind bug" thing in the movie, while most of the Zerg units resemble other bugs shown in the original movie.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pan said:
The original Design of Starcraft was based off the Warcraft II engine. Meanings the game owuld have looked very similar to starcraft. Due to poor quality, and alot of criticism about how similar it was to warcraft II, most of the team was fired, and an entirely new engine was created jsut for Starcraft.

The entire zerg race was based on "Starship Troopers" the movie. They were not however based on the original Heinlein book "starship Troopers" which the movie was based on. this is simply becuase the movie distorted the original intentions of the book.

If you look at the zerg race, they are almsot identical to much of the bugs in Starship Troopers. A cerebrete closely resembles the "mind bug" thing in the movie, while most of the Zerg units resemble other bugs shown in the original movie.
yea... wc2 engine sc looked horrible

another fact: Kerrigan is female.

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score
[glow=black]Come on guys. I'm sure we can think of better facts then "Kerrigan is female"[/glow]

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
_Eric said:
[glow=black]Come on guys. I'm sure we can think of better facts then "Kerrigan is female"[/glow]
Theres a secret mission that shows Alexis Stukov as infested terran, where you have to rescue him.

I think thats it, it sfor n64 SC btw.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
The Zerg facial structure is derived from dental x-ray scans of human skulls.
When you click on the dropship unit, all of its responses are from the movie Aliens

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Sorry if I repeat anything I said previously, but there is now way I'll be able to memorize what iIve said and haven't said before.

Many quotes that units say when you click on them repeatedly were teken from movies like Aliens and stuff. I have a list somewhere....

The High Templar still has the iscript information for ground attacks, I assume it was kept when they removes the attack so that Tassadar could still use it.

There is an extra sound for Zealots call pzerag00.wav or somethingn in StarDat, it is a sound a Zealot would make when trying extra hard to slice something to bits?

SCVs decellerate slower than Probes and Drones, which results in a Terran taking longer than any other race to mine out his base.

There are 9 different Gauss Rifle weapons in StarCraft. One for the Marine, one for Jim Raynor, and seven that aren't used in the game anymore.

Tormentor Missiles and Raider Guns are also weapons that weren't included in the released StarCraft.

Interceptors heal all their health upon entering a Carrier again. This is because of how StarCarft works, it would have to save the Interceptor data elsewhere and it would be ueseless and difficult as it would have to be applied upon recreating the Interceptors. Blizzard probably thought it was a good idea anyways.

The Tar terrain in the desert tileset used to be very different, it was like smokey pits of doom. I have a picture, but I don't remember where it is.

The Valkyrie Afterburner sounds are still in BrooDat.

The original Campaign Editor didn't have a dropdown menu for layers, they were each individual tabs.

The Archon wisp things on the outside are the same no matter which way it faces. This is the same for spell effects like Plague on units, Ensnare, and Acid Spores.

Firebats used to be able to burn down trees.

The Infested Command center uses most of it's files from the normal Command Center. The only difference is the infestation overlay that covers the original CC graphic, and it is set to regenerate health, and of course, makes Infested Terrans.

The reason you can set upgrade times of 0 in StarCraft and have it not crash is that it was programmed to do it for the cheat code Operation Cwal.

Appareently, the first StarCarft patch prevented a glitch where one person could use a cheat code to see the entire map in multiplayer; you'd think they'd have tested that more.

The cheat code Operation CWAL is named after Operation Can't Wait Any Longer which was a group of people who wanted StarCraft to be released really badly.

There is a cow level, just not in Diablo 1 or StarCreft.

The GRP files that hold BMPs in StarCarft are actually GRX files like WarCraft 2 with a different extension.

If you move a Battlecruiser while it's charging it's yomato cannon, and it's at the correct angle, it will still fire it; even if it's across the map. I have only done this with triggers, I haven't been able to do it with Recall, however I've heard that it does work if you Recall at the correct moment.

There has been reports of an incredibly rare bug where a Carriers kills itself. I've read about it once somewhere, and it occured to me. I tried moving it and everything, but ti kept going until it's own Interceptors killed it. Upon savnig the replay, StarCraft crashed. Most replays that have obscure glitches in them crash when you try to save the replay.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
The High Templar still has the iscript information for ground attacks, I assume it was kept when they removes the attack so that Tassadar could still use it.
in the beta they were able to attack bt later remoevd and tassadar kept it

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Lord of Nukes said:
Three of the pictures on the back of the original Starcarft box are inaccuarate in that they show beta images. You'll notice the Valkyrie with an energybar (for the Afterburn ability), a terran vs Protoss battle where the Arbiters haven't cloaked anything, I forget what the other thing was.
YES YES!!! This WAS what I was looking for!! You found it sir! :D

Therre is an unused Ghost death sound in the StarDat files which lasts for three seconds and is a very long agonizing scream.
I was unable to find this. Please provide source :)

There is a promotional image of a Lurker render in BrooDat.
I looked for this, both in the CD and the extracted .dat files. I was unable to find it! I did find other pictures though.

Stacked Psionic Storms don't do extra damage, making two Psionic Storms stacked perfectly just wastes energy, this was to help balance it against Zerg.
Well I NEVER!

Scouts used to leave mines called Shock Bombs in the air. I don't know why they were removed, but I saw them in a beta screenshot, and their graphics files are still in StarDat.
Again, could not find. Could you please provide a source. Thank you. :D

If you look closely at the Loading screen for Brood War on the bottom left, there is a blacking smudge. That is a horrible attempt to remove the word "BETA" from it, which is what was originally on the image. I guess they were a bit rushed.
This is HALF true. In the MPQ files there are 2 files.
title-beta.pcx
title.pcx
The 'title-beta.pcx' has the beta right under the 'F' of Starcraft.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
LoN, you are very awesome in finding out SC Jargon! =D

Though the probe makes weird noises when you normally click it, clicking it over the usual times will yield a coherent, english response. (pretty sure on this one, listen closely.) :p

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
I was unable to find this. Please provide source
TGhdth01.wv or something. There's two host death sounds, it's the second one. I have no source because I found it myself and used it successfully in a mod.

I looked for this, both in the CD and the extracted .dat files. I was unable to find it! I did find other pictures though.
It's a .pcx file. I forget the filename.

Again, could not find. Could you please provide a source. Thank you.
In StarDat, there's a GRP called shkbomb or shckbom or something like that. As for the image, click here, the graphic for the bomb thing the Scout sends out are the same as the ones in StarDat.

This is HALF true. In the MPQ files there are 2 files.
title-beta.pcx
title.pcx
The 'title-beta.pcx' has the beta right under the 'F' of Starcraft.
That's not what I mean. What I mean is that the current title.pcx is the same as the beta image, except it has a black smudge over where beta would be. Open title.pcx in Infranview or convert it to a BMP and open it in Paint. On the bottom left, you can see a crappy cover-up job.

EDIT:

I just checked; I was wrong about the Lurker promotional image. It's not in BrooDat, it's in Brood War's INSTALL.EXE.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
in the back of orginal SC disk the muta still had their burning attacks.

zerg in the beta did not need to build on creeps

zerg made units according to their structure required to produce it

the terran gol used to have a laser attack (i think can't rmember if it was the goon or the gol

L

Laharl

The high templar makes references to songs and cds by Guns 'n' Roses (Rock group).

AZN_FLEA

Reaction score
high templars sting the zerg army alot

Reaction score
well uhhh....lesse i think somewhere i saw a zerg nydus pit which was for something that i forgot :doh but i saw it where it was supposed to be "official" and everyone knows that the nydus pit was in beta SC right?
i also distinctly recall that every zrg building was able to build its own 3 larvae at a time instead of hatcheries producing every unit (i.e. a spire could build 3 larvae!!! o_O)

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
dark templars are cloaked.