Poison Mancer Build

Buggs

Reaction score
i see builds for every type of every character absolutely everywhere.

ive been playing diablo 2 for a very long time now and only ever play necromancers so i figure ill post my favourite build for people to look at.

there are a few things to keep in mind whilst reading this:

it is my build... so dont go replying with "noob, you should be using..." as im not interested.

it is mostly pvm as i grew so bored with pvp, it does work pvp though

it is very... very expensive to build them perfectly.

Items:

Helm: Shako 5/5 death poison facet(entirely my personal fav helm)

Armour: Archon Plate Bramble (the str req really isnt that high, esp with other item additions)

Amulet: Maras 30

Rings: Stone Of Jordan x 2

Shield: Boneflame ~ UM

Weapon: Deaths Web 2/2/50 with 5/5 death facet(for those that dont know, its +2 to necro skills +2 to poison and bone -to poison res and 12 to life and mana per kill)

Belt: Arachnid Mesh

Gloves: Trang Ouls gloves

Boots: Sanstorm Trek

Inventory 9 poison and bone charms, necro torch, annihilus 5 5 resist 20 life charms 3 faster hit recovery and 2 faster run charms

weapon switch: Perfect call to arms and spirit shield.

the resoning behind my items is that i have enough cast rate, hit recovery, damage, mana, life and movement speed to get me personally through, although obviously its everyones own personal choice.

Merc(bearing in mind that this build works best when using merc)

Helm: Perfect Kiras guardian ~ UM
Armour: Perfect Ethereal Upgraded Shaftstop ~ Pul
Weapon:Hand Of Justice (SurChamAmnLo)~ Collossus Vouluge(or however you spell it)

The mercenearly needs to be an Act 2 Nightmare Defensive merc
that way he will come with holy freeze aura, which slows the enemy, also supplying minimal damage
With the equipment he uses he has massive defence, max resistances AND due to Hand Of Justice runeword high damage BUT he also freezes the enemy on striking, has a level 16 holy fire aura and -20 fire resistance(this comes in very handy)

Skills:

Poison & Bone
Poison Dagger: 20
Poison Explosion: 20
Poison Nova: 20
Teeth: 1
Bone Spear: 1
Bone Armour: 1
Bone Wall: 1
Bone Prison: 1

the poison nova has a high enough damage to kill most enemies pvp with one shot, and will do serious headache to any enemy you come across, my most common setting is poison nove on right click and spear on left, spear is not very high damage but it helps work off those final hit points(keep in mind that in my experience necro poison can actually kill instead of just dropping to 1hp)

Curses:
Amplify Damage: 1
Iron Maiden: 1
Terror: 1
Life Tap: 1
Decrepify: 1
Lower Resistance: 1

All of those curses are in fact extremely useful, terror being the least howver, but if you are swamped by enemies pvm terror can save your life.
lower resistance can at high levels remove immunities from some enemies but also adds damage to you and your merc and your golem (read on)

Summoning
Fire Golem: 20
all other summon skils: 1

this comes to 100 skill points the other 10 can be spent anywhere you like, personally i went for skeletal magi

the reson for fire golem (and to a lesses extent skeletal magi) is that you are using poison and lower resist, you need something to keep the enemies off you, fire golem will damage everything with fire which will be buffered by lower resistance and the minimal damage by the skeletons actally amaounts to more than you would expect, remember that this is my actual build and not just a theory and i enjoy this necromancer more than any other character i have ever played.

also for additional advice (mainly for those that will tell me im a noob for not going with revives) revives are knocked up more than high enough to survive... and with the skeleton warriors combined they can swamp anything for small time back up... also with bramble having Thorns aura it makes it a frustrating ride for the enemy, trying to wade through low health minions to get to the Necro and loosing their health on the way to Thorns, Holy Freeze, 2 lots of Holy Fire and Poison damage

not a lot of people know the damage potential of poison... it is truly massive
i have personally seen poison explosion(in my opinion the highest damage skill in the game) reach over 350k add the lower resist +dmg to it and you have truly awesome damage, however i advise sacrificing damage from +3 amulets and circlets for health, mana and other all round bonuses

Strength: enough to use items taking into account your annihilus, torch, maras, shako and sandstorms

Dexterity: none, as this is mostly pvm i dont care about block rate, and in pvm i can kill anyone if i last long enough, anyone can kill me also, it keeps it interesting IMO

Life: everything else, you will find this build to be a very high lifed necro build as you spend almost no other attribute points

Mana: none.
there are many other options to go for, but what do i care, he works fine

one thing to bear in mind though is that over the years i accrued enough equipment to make sure everything i obtained was perfect... making it a very expensive build, but im sure if you are open minded enough and patient you will enjoy this build just as much.

enjoy

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
first and foremost: this is the wrong section

anyways, i like ur build, not bad honostly for a pvm

if i were to do it though i think i woudl change 2 things: id use infinite ethcv on merc, and id wear enigma, itd make up for the loss of psn damage from bramble [make up VERY well i might add], and allow me to teleport

*Turok

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
this build go be good if u higher ur lower resis curse +get bone spirit to finalalize the kill i had this build back at 1.09 but in this patch its 10x better :)

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
~Moved to strategy section.

Teradar

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
so bone armor is supossed to have a point in it right?
do marrowalks still give lvl 33 in bone prison with the glitch or was it fixed? you wouldnt need anythin in that if you used them instead of treks right?

Buggs

Reaction score
nah they bug has been fixed now... and thanks for the compliments... i have had four poison necros since 1.10 and i have used enigma trangs belt, armour and shield(made the fire additions quite fun) and two of the build i just mentioned i prefer my current though he is a hell of a lot of fun.

and yes in my reccomendations bone armour has one point... although your spare points can go in it if you feel insecure, but thats what your skeles, revives, golem and merc are for, but its your character and therefore your choice

by "they bug" i meant the bug, as in marrowalks 33 bug.

but if you want to buff up bone armour put the spare points in bone prison, as then you can trap enemies with stronger prison, have higher defence armour and higher damage spear...

Buggs

Reaction score
you are away that infinate is useless for this build btw? it would raise the fire golems damage, but the increase would be neglegable.

conviction doesnt effect poison resistance, hence i say hand of justice, it lowers fire res, adds more fire damage, freezes and blinds... infinate just doesnt hold up, except for the higher %ED