Playing D2 CD-free?

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
So I found my old D2 CDs (from 7 years ago!) and I was able to install and play the base game just fine (though I've only played once since this recent installation). But today I bought a new copy of LoD, and it won't install because I keep coming to a point in the installation where there's something it can't seem to read off my D2 Play Disc. :frown5: I have a sneaking suspicion my old D2 CDs may be damaged after all.

Now, this might be a rumour - but I've heard that provided you have the original CD-keys (which I do), Blizzard allows you to download the CD contents from somewhere. Do any of you know if this is true? And if so, where/how can I do this? I've tried searching Blizzard's site myself, but to no avail.

Many thanks to anyone can help with this, or offer an alternative solution!

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
Yeah it used to be 10 bucks and they'd send you a CD but now it should be free. If it's not free you can download the game from a torrent without worrying about any legal trouble as long as you use your legit cd key.
Sorry never done it though, so couldn't direct you where to go, send them a call or email.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Go to Blizzards website, create an account, enter your CD-Keys, download the game.

You won't even need a CD to play the game.

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

...although now the D2 downloader doesn't seem to work for some reason. I was able to create a new Battle.net account and register my games and all, but it keeps telling me that there's trouble "authenticating" the download of the base game (even though it seems to work perfectly fine for LoD). And I don't see anything about this error message anywhere in Blizzard's support FAQ.

Any suggestions, or is it time I bit the bullet and just contacted Blizzard directly?

Waaaah! I just want to play D2 with my friends again LIEK NAO! :Cry: [/petulant inner child]

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that b.net is undergone some serious changes lately? Maybe the url's got messed up. I would just make a thread at the Diablo board there. Blizzard posters usually react pretty fast to that stuff. E-mails first go to some lame customer support thing, afaik.

Tyrael

Ready Yourself
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

...although now the D2 downloader doesn't seem to work for some reason. I was able to create a new Battle.net account and register my games and all, but it keeps telling me that there's trouble "authenticating" the download of the base game (even though it seems to work perfectly fine for LoD). And I don't see anything about this error message anywhere in Blizzard's support FAQ.

Any suggestions, or is it time I bit the bullet and just contacted Blizzard directly?

Waaaah! I just want to play D2 with my friends again LIEK NAO! :Cry: [/petulant inner child]
This happened to me; sounds like you are running Windows? Right click the client icon and 'run as administrator'. If not, leahc.support@blizzard.com <--talk to her. She works for Blizz support, she helped me through your predicament a few months ago. Or you can support@blizzard.com if you would rather.