Petition to change d3 artistic direction

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
- A darker, gothic, cryptic and creepier environment.

- A more realistic artistic direction, more independent from the Warcraft universe art direction.

- Darker dungeons without a blue/green environment, Diablo dungeons are dark and shadowy.

- The return of the light radius / shadow system from Diablo 1 and 2, a concept modified picture made by me roughly shows and suggests how the shadow system should work on Diablo 3: http://i31.tinypic.com/2zta5o7.jpg

- Slightly less colorful and less vivid outside scenarios, they are too heavily influenced by the World of Warcraft ones.

- Darker and less colorful landscapes, Tristam never was colorful and beautiful: here's how it looked in Diablo 1 (before the evil was released across the lands): http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5194/tristram2jh.jpg

- And most importantly: An independent and renewed artistic direction, not a recycled art direction taken from the Warcraft world, Diablo never was meant to be as cartoon'ish as Warcraft, they shall have independent and distinct styles, this isnt happening in Diablo 3, at first sight it looks like a remake of World of Warcraft, graphically and artistically speaking.
lol you guys. Wha this game really needs is more brown & more bloom. Maybe some gray

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
they said they went through a few revisions on the art direction before they got to where they are. I'm pretty sure the end result will be good. i trust blizzard.

marian22

Reaction score
they said they went through a few revisions on the art direction before they got to where they are. I'm pretty sure the end result will be good. i trust blizzard.
lets try to be sure that they goona do a good job. we no need cartoon'ish graphic. this is DIABLO ..not WoW

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
the barbarian in the trailer got his head ripped off by the boss. I think the game will be fine

Mr.Sloth

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I agree that diablo 3 should be a bit more gloomier -- that's kind of what made the original diablo great: it was scary. The soundtrack itself was awesome as well.
So in general:
-More shadowy which goes along with a certain light radius as mentioned previously
-A more Diablo 1-esque sound track
-GLOOM

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
it looks fine in all honesty to me... i mean its not as cartoonish as warcraft series, and with that, its all good lol

marian22

Reaction score
those of you who think that graphic go in a wrong direction,sign the petition.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
besides...i'd rather not wait another 5 years for the game instead of 2

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
/not signed.

Rub mud over your screens if you want a browner game.

Otherwise it is fine, and i think some people need to look up the definition of the word cartoonish, because I dont think what it means is what you think it means.

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
wow im not signing this petition aka hunk of crap because 1 it was gothic when the barb was in the dungeon i mean come on then he went outside im sure it will be more dark and gothic when ur in hell and stuff

marian22

Reaction score
wow im not signing this petition aka hunk of crap because 1 it was gothic when the barb was in the dungeon i mean come on then he went outside im sure it will be more dark and gothic when ur in hell and stuff
was gothic in dungeon?did you scared??? c'mon man...this kind of things blizzard want...new players...kids.. game look like ****!!

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
the art is fine, its just the way they move. its just too slow paced.

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
was gothic in dungeon?did you scared??? c'mon man...this kind of things blizzard want...new players...kids.. game look like ****!!
sorry but i honestly have no idea what ur trying to say

marian22

Reaction score
do you think that dungeon from gameplay trailer look creeapy??

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Creepier than a D2 dungeon. Enemies move a lot more fluidly, monsters are faster, they come out of nowhere (tell me you didn't soil yourself in awe when the first waves of ghouls came climbing up the walls out of the depths and just kept coming).

A change in tone maybe, mostly via soundtrack, would give a better bite to the dungeons...but something doesn't have to look like Silent Hill to be creepy. Diablo isn't a horror genre, it's a hack-n-slash adventure RPG. Don't expect to be crying over scary monsters, just enjoy it for what it is. The new animations and creature designs are beautiful, the story-progression sequences are fluid and realistic, and just overall player-game interaction is through the roof.

D2 was actually a pretty shallow game, two dimensional gameplay in more than just graphics. D3 is adding that third dimension, and I'm loving the way it's working out. I'm in love with the graphical style, and adding the now-cliched grime and sewage layer to the game just isn't necessary.

marian22

Reaction score
Creepier than a D2 dungeon. Enemies move a lot more fluidly, monsters are faster, they come out of nowhere (tell me you didn't soil yourself in awe when the first waves of ghouls came climbing up the walls out of the depths and just kept coming).

A change in tone maybe, mostly via soundtrack, would give a better bite to the dungeons...but something doesn't have to look like Silent Hill to be creepy. Diablo isn't a horror genre, it's a hack-n-slash adventure RPG. Don't expect to be crying over scary monsters, just enjoy it for what it is. The new animations and creature designs are beautiful, the story-progression sequences are fluid and realistic, and just overall player-game interaction is through the roof.

D2 was actually a pretty shallow game, two dimensional gameplay in more than just graphics. D3 is adding that third dimension, and I'm loving the way it's working out. I'm in love with the graphical style, and adding the now-cliched grime and sewage layer to the game just isn't necessary.
i think you wrong...they must change the cartoon'ish graphic.. warcraft must remain warcraft and Diablo shoul stay Diablo. we no need a cocktail:)

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
It's not cartoonish, dude.

WoW:

D3:

Seriously. Silent Hill 2 didn't have as Hi-Res, dark-ass looking monsters as that Siege beast...and it's one of the most classically horrifying and "non-cartoonish" games out there. D3 is NOT cartoonish, and you need to get over the idea of anything Blizzard puts out looking like a Hollywood special-effects movie all through basic gameplay...Blizzard doesn't build games that require everyone who plays them to buy brand new custom computers.

Just because everything isn't stained with blood and so dark you can't see half the screen doesn't mean it's cartoonish.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
The only people that care about it's current artistic direction are basement-living nobodies.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The game looks fairly copied of various games but it's nowhere near World of Warcraft. The latter looks like as it is due to bandwidth constraints.*