Online Dating

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
It's already a popular phenomenon in the virtual world (just check out that 'Battle Forums Dating' link on top! :D) Some say that it's a good way to meet people. Other say that it's not.

True, it has some good and bad points there: it's exciting to meet newer peeps that you can never find in your real world, but at the same time, rather dangerous (think serial killers/stalkers/kidnapping/etc...)

What are your thoughts on this debate?

- Amantis

Radium

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think more perverts are on this than sincere people. As many of the battleforums community are late teens, I think that some male molesters would find this appealing and sign up as a screen name as HotGurl94.

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
I met my girl over the net, and I couldn't be happier. :D

But if you keep a level head, and take procautions and use a lil common sence, then you'll be fine. Like don't give your address away until you've talked to the person for a while. Talk to them on the phone, get them to send you some pictures. I think the stalkers and pedophiles are just a slim minority, ****ing it up for the rest of us.

raDixGhost

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.gamers2k4.com
i think its a good idea but "bad" people has taken granted of this idea and are really overwhelming it.. i think if you are a really lucky person ull meet someone who isnt just messing around with you and really want to have a good sincere relationship... i know this kid who lives all the way up in ny and met a girl in texas from a chat room and they had their relationship going for 2 years. she came all the way up here and he went all the way down there in the summers and vacations to see each other.. so i think its possible but hard

Ghetto_Rap_Masta

Premium Member
Reaction score
Online dating has been and always will be a bad idea.

All it is is a bunch of 30 year old or older losers who are so rejected by society that they seek refuge on the net with some fat 300 pound bastard they never seen before.

As you can tell, i think that people who use these services are idiots

dice5_5

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The concept/reasoning of online dating is strange to me, but hey, power to ya if you're able to find someone u really like.

Lilu

is lovin life!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I have met great personalities on the net!!! but...they are like from America and lots of other places around the world...i think net relationships are silly! but hey...everyone is different...i have heard of relationships that have worked...ppl have met and gotten married and stayed happily married....(abit of a fairy tale in some ppls mind!)
personally i would love to meet the ppl i have net friends with...but i dont think i could go into a 'relationship' with one...for i wouldnt be able to be with them....and thats gotta suk!
i also agree with the danger and uncertainty that comes from talkin to ppl u dont know!!:fwink

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
getto masta that was a dumb comment are u impyling that we are all 30 yr old Losers??? because why would being on here be any different to an online dating thing.. except maybe the subjects..

i mean hmmm.. i don't think online dating is the best. i think its an ok way to meet ppl.. i don't really talk to anyone online who isn't a friend.. or someone i have mutual contacts with.. even if i have never met them. i think it is pretty dangerous. not necessarily to talk to them but to become to close or attatched yeh. i use the internet mainly for keeping contact with people i allready know. i think its pretty werid just going and talking to people who u don't know. its so easy to be insincere and stupid on the interent. and i would hate to get close to someone who was just mucking around. and when it comes down to it u can never really be sure if they are who they say they are.. or maybe im just to synical. anyways i don't really see a need to have people i don't know on the internet i have enough "real" people. ... i also find that people on the internet just flatter u all the time. hoping ur hot. after all... why would a normal person want to have friends who they could never see .... just kinda weird to me.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I think just having friends on the net to talk to is great. I have heaps! But i would never take it furthur than just a cool friendship.
But this happened to me once, a girl in the same grade, different school (friend of a friend), whom i've never talked to or met before. Added me on MSN Messenger, we started talking etc and got to know each other a bit (Still having not met her). Then she started dropping all these silly hints about how she liked me (She still hasn't even seen me) and, without thinking about it (Because i just wanted it to stop) i blocked her, then eventually deleted her...
I was a jerk on that part, but i didn't want what she wanted :\ I guess i could've handled it better, but hey, this happened yonks ago!

Lilu

is lovin life!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Could have been handled better...Renz..maybe if she saw that u werent into net relationships...she might have seen the same...i dunno...i think standin up for how u think etc... and others seeing it really has an impact...might not be big but hey...its something...neways....
Net pals are great! get to share stuff (no it doesnt have to 'personal') and i think u would be able to tell if someone was being silly and who wasnt!! i mean if u wanted to find out something important about someone and they are all like...fakin it....i just reckon u would be able to tell!!
but then...it depends if ur into net relationships...i dont chat to ppl on the net to see them as a 'potential' or watever....just get to know them...to find out how they see things in life...thats wat friends are about...and other things....:fwink

IDefy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I think its a giant scam put together by rapists' so they can rape whoever and there are very few ppl who actually get hooked up.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lilu
Could have been handled better...Renz..maybe if she saw that u werent into net relationships...she might have seen the same...i dunno...i think standin up for how u think etc... and others seeing it really has an impact...might not be big but hey...its something...neways....
I was like 13. I really had no idea how to handle it. But what happened, happened. No point dwelling on it.

Originally posted by Lilu
Net pals are great! get to share stuff (no it doesnt have to 'personal') and i think u would be able to tell if someone was being silly and who wasnt!! i mean if u wanted to find out something important about someone and they are all like...fakin it....i just reckon u would be able to tell!!
but then...it depends if ur into net relationships...i dont chat to ppl on the net to see them as a 'potential' or watever....just get to know them...to find out how they see things in life...thats wat friends are about...and other things....:fwink
I couldn't agree more ;)

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeh i talk to heaps of ppl try to keep it down though but on the net but it is very very naive to think u can tell who someone really is.... i mean it happens alot and it is so easy and dangerous.. well to me its not really worth the risk

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I've been on BattleForums since the 11th of October '02. I'm pretty sure that everyone of the BF members i have on AIM are genuine people who surf the net. No one could be bothered to go on with a charade that long.
Not everyone on the net has to be some paedophile who can't be trusted. That's why i go to this site, because i believe it to be a place where ACTUAL people hang out and chat about miscellaneous things (Mainly games). If it isn't worth the risk, why are you here?

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeh but that is ALOT different to being on a site where the main purpose is dating.

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i think the internet is a good place to talk about stuff with people who have the same intrests as you... or talk to someone on the other side of the planet who you would never knew existed... but i think as far as real relationships go, you should just take a walk outside to meet people... you most likely live by them if you are just out for a walk or something and you can trust someone youve met a lot more than someone on the internet.

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hmm yeh thats true.. after all i mean it would suck to go out with someone who lived like a million miles away.. someone u could never see and u wouldn't be able to go out on the weekends and stuff. and ur friends would never get to meet them and stuff but other than a dating context i like talking to ppl on the net lol even if there is the potential they are fifty yr old men

Korrok

The Returned
Reaction score
Website
unspeakabledestiny.guildomatic.com
Hmmm. I think there is somewhere people need to put a divide.

There is "internet dating" and then there is "dating someone you met on the internet". I think there is a definite difference.

I would say that "internet dating", setting out on the internet with the intention of finding someone to go out with (whether through an agency or a chat room/forum) is a bad idea. You are likely to run into the wrong sort of people. I think that's where you are most likely to run into weirdos.

But, I wouldn't say that "dating someone from the internet" was a completely wrong thing. There is a good chance that you can meet someone through the net, with whom you share lots of interests and hobbies and you think has a great personality, and you would like to meet them in real life (possibly in a romantic situation). True, you do get people who pretend to be someone else. But when it progresses from a friendship then it really could work.

Personally I've not went out with anyone from the internet. I agreed to meet someone who had a similar interest and who lived near by me, I've bumped into one in the street, I've spoken on the phone to a few too (though not in a romantic way). If it works for some people, then fair enough, but it is important to always take care when meeting up with people from the net...

hunter_killer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Now, I'm not really into net relationships. I have to see the people, if I'm to click emotionally with them. But you guys who are into this, go ahead, I'm not stopping you.

I've met really great friends here on BF (As Renzo also stated) , but not GF/BF relationships, but just good friends.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Online Dating is quite risky. You can risk a broken heart or meet the hottest guy/gal the world has ever seen. But there are plenty of weirdos who just like the pleasure of talking to hot chicks and all that 'cos they can't do that in real life.