One More Day/Brand New Day

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Ok So I realized this hasn't really been brought up in discussion, probably because the BND happened awhile ago before the comic forum. Regardless After Brand New Day has run it's course, I would like to hear what people think.

For anyone who doesn't Know:
One More Day Is the Spider-man story line where Aunt May is shot. dieing because Peter unmasked himself during Civil war. In an effort to save her he turns to mephisto who offers to save May at the expense of his Marriage to Mary Jane. They both accept and this leads to the Brand New Day storyline.

Following this Spider-man is relaunched, Single and living with Aunt May again, with no one knowing he is Spider-man anymore. Harry Osbourne is also resurrected and Mary Jane at some time broke up with Peter, never having married him.
--

First Off let me just say Brand New Day was very badly handled. Using Magic and Mephisto as a plot device in a Spider-man story is just bad writing. But for all the points they lose for sloppy writing, they make so much more up by removing Mary Jane from the comics. She has been a blight on Spider-mans awesomeness for some time now. Every spider-man writer has said that Marrying the two was a bad idea. It limits storylines, and gets really boring. Stan Lee has also declared it was a good idea.

As for Brand New Day, I have enjoyed it. It's run was pretty solid, with very few moments where I wished things hadn't changed. It is fresh, and I hope it continues to stay that way.

The only thing that really worries me is if they decide to undo brand new day to reverse back to the old status quo. It would royal piss me off. and as stupid as One More Day was, the end result was far better than any storyline which undoes it. Something like that would make me drop the book entirely.

Thoughts?

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It was a stupid idea. It has some pretty good stories, but overall, I'm not really impressed.

sharksfin.gamer

T-Virus Mutation
Reaction score
I haven't actually read the arc but I could say that spidey without MJ as a wife is a good refreshing change... it adds more drama and at least it doesn't restrict peter (and the writers) too much that the whole spidey sotryline I had grown to love would have to suffer

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
I got on ebay Amazing Spiderman 200-5XX on ebay, as well as most of the other short lived series and have read them all. I've gotten both normal and varient versions of most of the Spiderman books I can get.

I dropped the book halfway through OMD because it got leaked that it was just going to be Mephisto going "lol all is changed", roughly erasing all those years of history I bought.

I've yet to pick up a SM book, and won't until this whole BND bull**** if fixed. Except "New ways to die", because Norman Osborne is awesome.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I got on ebay Amazing Spiderman 200-5XX on ebay, as well as most of the other short lived series and have read them all. I've gotten both normal and varient versions of most of the Spiderman books I can get.

I dropped the book halfway through OMD because it got leaked that it was just going to be Mephisto going "lol all is changed", roughly erasing all those years of history I bought.

I've yet to pick up a SM book, and won't until this whole BND bull**** if fixed. Except "New ways to die", because Norman Osborne is awesome.
Actually the history wasn't erased, it all happened, just Mary Jane never married Peter.

Straczynski has even stated he wanted to erase the "sins past" story line with Brand new day and wasn't allowed. To bad, that had to have been the stupidest story ever.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Yeah, but the whole "lol they're not married" anymore was something that happened years ago, and Mary Jane helped Spidey make abillion and a half decisions along the way, all of which are essentially eliminated.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I haven't actually read the arc but I could say that spidey without MJ as a wife is a good refreshing change... it adds more drama and at least it doesn't restrict peter (and the writers) too much that the whole spidey sotryline I had grown to love would have to suffer
Oh, it restricts Peter in an entirely new way. OMG NO WEB FLUID!? OMG I'M BROKE AGIN!? ****!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the whole "lol they're not married" anymore was something that happened years ago, and Mary Jane helped Spidey make abillion and a half decisions along the way, all of which are essentially eliminated.
all of which were pointless. It was such a stupid marriage, and having to sludge through hundreds of comics were her in it were incredibly stupid and boring.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Oh and I will also point out that they were considered "together", they just weren't married during that time. Basicly even thought they never went throught the marriage they were still together. Every story between the "wedding" and BND remains cannon. There is a huge gap of time we didn't see from the end of civil war to Brand new day, where in they broke up, and aunt mays house was rebuilt and all that which has yet to be told.

Personally I would have preferred Ben Reilly had just taken over as spider-man way back in the 90s, and written Peter/Mary-jane out like they originally planned. would been a lot better.

sharksfin.gamer

T-Virus Mutation
Reaction score
anyway I'll just grab a copy from the nearest comic book store so I can finally see it and have an actual meaty reply XD

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Oh and I will also point out that they were considered "together", they just weren't married during that time. Basicly even thought they never went throught the marriage they were still together. Every story between the "wedding" and BND remains cannon. There is a huge gap of time we didn't see from the end of civil war to Brand new day, where in they broke up, and aunt mays house was rebuilt and all that which has yet to be told.

Personally I would have preferred Ben Reilly had just taken over as spider-man way back in the 90s, and written Peter/Mary-jane out like they originally planned. would been a lot better.

And what makes it worse is JoeQ said that theres a very good chance Spiderman will start dating his famous redhead again after an upcomming 'lifechanging' arc *cough New Ways To Die cough*

So, basically, OMD/BND was just a ****ing gimmick. Just like the Unmasking, to get higher sales.

sharksfin.gamer

T-Virus Mutation
Reaction score
And what makes it worse is JoeQ said that theres a very good chance Spiderman will start dating his famous redhead again after an upcomming 'lifechanging' arc *cough New Ways To Die cough*

So, basically, OMD/BND was just a ****ing gimmick. Just like the Unmasking, to get higher sales.
lol thankfully I didn't shell out to buy myself a copy hahahaha

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score

That remains to be seen

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Speaking of things that are totally ****ed, Battle for the Cowl is going to be amazing.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You think so? Seems just like a way to increase popularity with the Thunderbolts, or maybe Spider-man even. Because they're doing it with Moon Knight, too.