OK im getting into bw

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I decided to start playing brood war, im a ok sc player, but id like to all you bw folks that dont mind to post me some basi strategys with bw, the things i have to adapt in my playing.(example i know detectors are essential,and indispensable) and now would be the best time to send me those bw progamers replay and stuff...fendor dont worry,im staying in clan anyways.....Thanks for helping everyone

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
I tried to upload a replay but i couldnt send .rep files. Go to www.broodwar.co.yu/replays and get some replays of good players.

Early detectors in TvP are not as important as u may think. Scout and see if he is makin an early templar archives/citadel. If he's not, then i usually dont make a bay untill i need it in my first tank push.

In TvZ however, u should get vessels asap. Make rax at 10 & 11 suply and start making marines. Get gas at 12/13 and get a factory as soon as u get 100 gas. Get an accademy right after building the factory and make some medics when its done (use marines and medics in groups of 4:1 or so). Dont use the factory to make tanks until later, but tech to vessels right after it's done.

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok,thanks for the tips...dont be afraid to send more lol..should i pair firebats with m&m since in your build order i do have the academy?

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
The academy is needed to produce medics and get stim packs. There is no need to produce firebats unless ur enemy makes masses of zerglings.

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
on sc original when im agasint toss on certain maps,i tend to use a couple of bats..not good on bw? and i didnt know yet that the academy was necessary for medics, thanks for the enlightment

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by manofhonor
on sc original when im agasint toss on certain maps,i tend to use a couple of bats..not good on bw? and i didnt know yet that the academy was necessary for medics, thanks for the enlightment
When you play the game, don't try to PRE-PLAN your unit combinations.

Instead, start out with several ways to screw your opponent and change your unit mix according to what your opponent is building.

That is very true in the case of the Firebat.

Firebat counters Zerglings.
If your opponent uses lots of Zerglings, get a few Firebats (4-6?) in combination with your group.
Even with 30+ zerglings, those 4-6 bats will kill very well. (not without acceptable losses though)

If your opponent uses Zealots, the counter includes Firebats BUT its better to use something else.

Why?
Siege Tank + Marine will counter Zealots + other units better than Bats.
And usually, a Toss player will have Templars, Reavers or Cannons to counter your infantry so your Firebats wouldn't do much.
Also, when it comes to pure Zealots, Vultures + Mines kills them much much better AND counters Dark Templar or Dragoons.

What are "ways to screw your opponent" stated above?

Well...when you start a game, you know whats the "basic army" of each race.
For Terran, it would be Goliaths + Tanks or BCs + Tanks in the end.
So build up your Tanks and Goliaths while constantly attacking with them and NOT LETTING THEM DIE.

But your opponent will attack you while you build up your Goliath + Tank wouldn't he?

This is where the "screwing" comes.

Certain units disrupts certain strategies.

-Vultures pretty much screws Toss early game ground.

-SV detects DT, irradiate High Temps, EMP archons though not so much needed.

-Turrets detects DT and comes faster than SV.

-Wraiths kills Reavers and Dropships + scout the map.

-Tank drops on cliff are hard to stop.

-Marine drop hit and run disrupts your opponent's economy.

-And much more.

How do you know which to go?

-Scout

-Experience. (After much playing you realise certain thing...like most toss's early ground are countered by Vultures and that you need to rush Siege fast vs ranged Goons and Reavers)

Good luck dude.

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Damn

If everyone on this forum could each post a reply as inteligent and helpfull as these 2...i wouldnt only be happy, it would be a lot easyer than learn something every 20 hard loss games...lol thanks guys

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Hehe ;)

I dont know about the wraiths vs toss tho... Reavers can be annoying, but missile turrets in ur peon line will pretty much cover it. U barely see reavers used to stop tank pushes, because if u unload a reaver next to a tank it will be gone in 1 second, and u will only lose 1 tank which is cheaper and takes less time to get than a reaver. Reavers are usually only built vs toss, since turrets can be built everywere and can therefore stop most toss drops, and toss dont have mines and siege tanks.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
OK, it seems no one has bothered to mention Zerg. although you may not use zerg. i'll give you the run down as best as i can.

- Patrol your overlords

- Hydras are your best form of attack early in the game. and maybe near the end

- Lurks are kick ass d. especially if someone decides to mass your front line. The lurkers will ripp through any melee units & ranged units. except tanks which will prolly siege if ur lurks arent in range.

- Use zerglings to screw an opponents economy early in the game

- Defilers are excellent when it comes to dark swarm. place that over your Ultralisks and lings

- I tend not to use ultralisks. they are costly and they can only fit 1 at a time up a ramp. and they r slow

- Guardians are excellent against cannons spores & turret. they have the range to not get injured. But be careful. your opponent can easily counter this method. so keep some mutas and even some Devourers to help against air.

- Queens can spawn broodlings on those reavers & tanks. ensnare will eliminate the rate of fire from those big units like bcs & carriers so ur hydras can take em out

- Devourers do 25 dmg. so use them against air. although. i personally dont do that.

In conclusion. My tactic is to go for ling rush at the start. Expand asap!!!! Zerg are cheap but if u expand. u can make one hell of an army.
Also. i use hydra drops. i get about 24 hydras. wack em into overlords and send em into someones peon line. i get ventral sacs (transportation for overlords) asap. then hydra drop. my spores eliminate reaver. tank drops. lurks & sunks eliminate ground attacks and drops. Always keep a healthy supply of mutas and/or hydras for those high level units such as BCs. Hydras are excellent against them if u have enough.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Renzokuken
OK, it seems no one has bothered to mention Zerg. although you may not use zerg. i'll give you the run down as best as i can.

- Patrol your overlords

- Hydras are your best form of attack early in the game. and maybe near the end

- Lurks are kick ass d. especially if someone decides to mass your front line. The lurkers will ripp through any melee units & ranged units. except tanks which will prolly siege if ur lurks arent in range.

- Use zerglings to screw an opponents economy early in the game

- Defilers are excellent when it comes to dark swarm. place that over your Ultralisks and lings

- I tend not to use ultralisks. they are costly and they can only fit 1 at a time up a ramp. and they r slow

- Guardians are excellent against cannons spores & turret. they have the range to not get injured. But be careful. your opponent can easily counter this method. so keep some mutas and even some Devourers to help against air.

- Queens can spawn broodlings on those reavers & tanks. ensnare will eliminate the rate of fire from those big units like bcs & carriers so ur hydras can take em out

- Devourers do 25 dmg. so use them against air. although. i personally dont do that.

In conclusion. My tactic is to go for ling rush at the start. Expand asap!!!! Zerg are cheap but if u expand. u can make one hell of an army.
Also. i use hydra drops. i get about 24 hydras. wack em into overlords and send em into someones peon line. i get ventral sacs (transportation for overlords) asap. then hydra drop. my spores eliminate reaver. tank drops. lurks & sunks eliminate ground attacks and drops. Always keep a healthy supply of mutas and/or hydras for those high level units such as BCs. Hydras are excellent against them if u have enough.
Very well written post. I do some of the things you mentioned, including zergling rush. I don't ling rush to win though, instead I just try and take out their probes with 2-6 lings. One comment though... about ultras being slow. An upgraded ultra is the fastest unit in the game (I think). I beleive it's even faster than cracklings (or tied). One thing for sure though, ultras are not slow... even when not upgraded.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Originally posted by SkuZZy
Very well written post. I do some of the things you mentioned, including zergling rush. I don't ling rush to win though, instead I just try and take out their probes with 2-6 lings. One comment though... about ultras being slow. An upgraded ultra is the fastest unit in the game (I think). I beleive it's even faster than cracklings (or tied). One thing for sure though, ultras are not slow... even when not upgraded.
Well. Thanks SkuZZy. That was my first post! Anyway. The 2-6 ling rush is exactly what i do. I try to inflict maximum damage to the peons and take out a supp dept or pylon if i have any left.
With ultras. When playing on Lost Temple or sumfin like that, the bases r on high ground. The only way up is ramp or transport. Ultras can fit only 1 up @ a time you will need alot to do alot of damage. Most will die before they get up there. IF your opponent has good d:D I didnt say they were slow...did i? Either i cant use ultras properly, or they just suck.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Renzokuken
Well. Thanks SkuZZy. That was my first post! Anyway. The 2-6 ling rush is exactly what i do. I try to inflict maximum damage to the peons and take out a supp dept or pylon if i have any left.
With ultras. When playing on Lost Temple or sumfin like that, the bases r on high ground. The only way up is ramp or transport. Ultras can fit only 1 up @ a time you will need alot to do alot of damage. Most will die before they get up there. IF your opponent has good d:D I didnt say they were slow...did i? Either i cant use ultras properly, or they just suck.
I get what you meant, you just meant that ultras are slow in attacking since they need to go single line :D Well... there's different strategies for different maps. Each map has a different style that's successful. On lost temple I probably would not use ultras.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Ultras are needed to make dark swarm work. Reavers, high templars or siege tanks all kill zerglings in one hit, u need the ultras to add armor to ur army. Ultras have almost as many hit points as a BC, and upgraded they have 5 armor and run as fast as a crackling.

Lurkers for defence? I have a lurker at my expansions vs terran and a few sunkens to hold up M&M or zealots, but thats the only defence i have. Lurkers are needed for an offencive, marines and storm will tear hydras appart. Hydras + lurkers is the best offencive u have in mid game (except for ZvZ, there i make muta/ling)

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
And skuzzy, each map does not have a style that is successfull. On hunters/BGH marines&medics, mass hydras or zealot/goon is the only way to win, but on LT and other maps u have to tech different every time. There is no "right" strategy, every single game is different. Thats what makes non-money maps so fun.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
BGH is a money map. I agree w/you AKA-47. There isnt any REAL-PERFECT strategy. But strategies for maps??? Yes/no. I think it depends on the map. But it depends more on your opponent. If your opponent is your friend. You obviously know how he plays & you can counter all that easily. But if its just another ladder game vsing anyone you really have to know which way they r going in the tech tree & build orders to know what they'll end up using & how to counter it.

Everything can counter everything. So its no big deal. Unless you suck...

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Yes, but on BGH the only way to win is by massing units, while non-money maps require more knowlege of counters, terrain and echonomy, so the games will vary more.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I suppose your right. But anyway.

What is gosu? I hear it all the time and never bothered to ask ne one wat it means...

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Gosu is the korean word for skilled. A gosu player means a skilled player. Chobo is the korean word for newb, and hasu is a more polite way to say beginner.