Noob to Wow ... looking to join

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
A friend of mine and I are are joining WoW, so ... I was curious as to what is the easist character/races to start with, since I know nothing besides the fact that its a MMO of Warcraft.

Now for my many questions.
1. Is there any differences between serves? If so what is the best one in your oppinion and why?

2. What is the differences between races?

3. What should I know before I start?

4. How much does it cost to play?
My friend said he will pay for me, but, if it is alot I don't want him doing that and I sure don't want to p2p as well.

5. Will I have any real issues with lag, or the like?

6. Is there a guide to lvling up rather fast ... or am I stuck killing something rediculous for months?

7. What is the difference between normal WoW and the expansion(s) (not sure if there is more then 1), should I pick up expansion with the basic?

Dream_Walker

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been stated by Blizzard that the Paladin class was designed to be the easiest to play, but I don't know. None of them are exceptionally harder than any other class, but there are some that are really easy *cough*Warlock*cough*.

1. no diff

2. each race has their own "racial" skills, you can look them up on www.wowwiki or something.

3. uh, maybe some lore would help i dunno

4. ~$15, $14/month if you pay every 3 months, and $13/month if you pay every 6 months (IIRC)

5. depends on where the server is, and where you live.

6. there are guides everywhere, you can probably just search google for "WoW leveling guide" or something, may get some results.

7. the differences is really new content, and new races. The Burning Crusade (expansion) allows players to play as the Blood Elves or the Draenei, and allows access to the shattered world of Outland (normally you have to be level 58 to enter Outland, but lower levels can be given a portal to the capital in Outland). So if you want to play as a Blood Elf or a Draenei then yeah you should get the expansion.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
I feel that you should look at how others have done classes and builds first before you make a setup that is right for you. It can be beneficial in some cases.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I was curious as to what is the easist character/races to start with.
Choose whatever you think looks interesting.

1. Is there any differences between serves? If so what is the best one in your oppinion and why?
There is a difference, population. If you choose a new/recommended/low population server you're gonna have the problem of not seeing many people around and finding it hard to get groups or get into a nice guild.
On the flipside, if you choose a high or full population server, it can be laggy in capital cities, AH is generally inflated and you find yourself lost in a sea of people and nobody knows who you are, or cares.

Personally, i'd say go for a Low/Medium population server.

They have different racial abilities. You can find these out in the character creation screen.

This game can be addictive.

If you play with dial-up, yes. If you play with a shitty computer, yes.

7. What is the difference between normal WoW and the expansion(s) (not sure if there is more then 1), should I pick up expansion with the basic?
Expansion is only if you want to level past 60 in Outlands or play a Blood Elf or Draenei. You also need the expansion if you want to visit the Draenei/Blood Elf zones.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Pick hunter and play on Hakkar. Hunter = easy to play and fastest leveler, and Hakkar = medium population server with renzo, cort, jim, and myself on it. ^^;

(Horde)

Hitsua

+
Reaction score
Indeed, wait until you are level 60 to buy BC. Both new races are gay and annoying.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Pick hunter and play on Hakkar. Hunter = easy to play and fastest leveler, and Hakkar = medium population server with renzo, cort, jim, and myself on it. ^^;
true. If you're concerned about leveling fast, hunter is the way to go. Pet to tank for you, cheetah aspect till you get your mount, feign death...you pretty much never die.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Orc.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
A friend of mine and I are are joining WoW, so ... I was curious as to what is the easist character/races to start with, since I know nothing besides the fact that its a MMO of Warcraft.
Depends on your preference. Personally, I say either Hunter, Lock or Mage. Mage is the most simplistic of the three, as you don't need to know much to just spam frostbolt till something is dead and conjure water/food whenever you're running low. But endgame they're mean as shit as to some of the kiting and such you do or some of the raw dmg you're capable of. If you're going horde, I'd say a UD mage, if Alliance then Human Mage. Those are just my personal preferences, as I find Trisfal and Elwynn the two easiest starter zones.
Now for my many questions.
Different servers have different rules. Some are PvE where you can't be attacked by other players unless you're in their zones or you have your PvP flag on (I guess, I never played on those pussy servers). PvP is wher eyou're always able to kill people as long as you're in contested zones, or they attack you first in their zone. RP realms are retarded, so eh. High pop servers are generally easier to group with, low pop servers are a lot easier to get rich off but harder to find a good core group of people to play with. If you're going Horde, then go Hakkar with the rest of the BF people (for the most part). If ally, theres a few of them on Skullcrusher.

What classes you can chose, starter zones, racial abilities, quests, rewards, so on and so forth.

The game can be addicting as shit.
4. How much does it cost to play?
My friend said he will pay for me, but, if it is alot I don't want him doing that and I sure don't want to p2p as well.
15usd a month. It's really not that bad, and I actually forgot for a while that I was paying for it.
Depends on your computer/connection.

6. Is there a guide to lvling up rather fast ... or am I stuck killing something rediculous for months?
YOu can easily enough find them on google or torrent the ones you're supposed to pay for.

Pick up the expac when you hit around lvl 55, as you arn't supposed to be able to use MOST of it untill 58 anyway. Unless you really want to play a BE or Draeni.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
I prefered playing Elf or the Undead races in WC3, but, not too sure how much that relates to WoW.
The Hunter class sounds interesting, is that available to the two races mentioned previosly?

I assume there are clans and the like just like on D2 SC and WC, if so is there going to be a issue with being a low level in some other races area. Is there a way to not get PKed or PvP till I am of a decent level?

Thanks for the help all appricate it.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
If you're on a PVP server, you can't get attacked in friendly zones unless you turn your PVP tag on. You can pretty much stay in friendly zones almost till you're lvl 20. I don't think you can be an undead hunter... if you want to play a hunter, I'd suggest orc for the bonus pet damage or tauren for war stomp. War stomp kept me alive early on when I was leveling my hunter.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Trolls don't have any bow damage, they have bow skill. With hit rating (which is something all PvErs should have), it's really irrelevant.

Trolls do have Berserker (faster attack speed), but it's a lot more situational.

Best PvE Hunter is Orc, best PvP is Tauren. Alliance hunters just suck.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Considering Berserker has a negative effect that you probably dont want to consider having in battle....

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Didn't know there was a bad effect. Probably because i don't play trolls.

Anyways, best PvE hunters are trolls imo. Orc's have axe skill rating, 5% pet dmg (Lol?) and stun resist. Sounds more pvp to me.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The damage goes up as your health drops...I don't know how that would be considered a bad effect. It's not like you'd be taking much damage though if your pet is tanking. Maybe he's talking about wc3...?

Does the orc racial cost mana to use? On the wiki, it mentions the troll's does, but not the orc's.

GsVi-Miles

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Do some research on your server as in alliance to horde ratio, theres something like 2k alliance 9k horde on my server, its pretty rediculous, lots of people transfer off this server if there alliance because of several reasons, the horde pretty much always own the world pvp, if you piss of one you got 10 on you in 2 minutes

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Didn't know there was a bad effect. Probably because i don't play trolls.

Anyways, best PvE hunters are trolls imo. Orc's have axe skill rating, 5% pet dmg (Lol?) and stun resist. Sounds more pvp to me.
Actually, best PvE hunter build is Beast Mastery. 5% more pet damage is a very, very good thing. As for 50% less healing, you're a hunter, if you need healing you suck.

And Berserk costs mana to use, Blood Fury doesn't.