_JaKE

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Honestly...this is a lot earlier than I was expecting the 'real' name to be revealed... NoA's website is down, so I can't confirm it there. As I've stated before, I'm not relying on an IGN newsource as the final word.

FYI: I was expecting the codename to be changed to the actual name at Nintendo's conferance on May 9th at E3...

_JaKE

Reaction score
imagine

ima go play with my wii!

sounds like ur talking about masterbating...

eh, whatever, ima call it revolution :D

Google search “Wii”

Wildlife Institute of India

Washington Internship Institute

Wellness Institute International

World Internet Institute

Also, if a mod can sticky his or make this thread noticeable, like, capitalize the letters or something like SPECIAL REPORT: NINTENDO Wii!

_JaKE

Reaction score
but ths is like big, big, news and needs its own thread.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The Revolution is big, big news and needs its own thread...hence why Venice made one =/

I'll admit that if it is, indeed, the Nintendo Wii, it's bigger news than anything else at E3 ^_^

Biske

Reaction score
Well...whatever, I'm still gunna say "Revolution", **** Wii.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
well it's more valuable of a name than the 360. The ****ing consol is a paradox, xbox 360? A 360 box? It blows the hell out of geomaetry.

_JaKE

Reaction score
notice ill be adding as much news and shit in this thread till the new name hype is over.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703593p1.html

ive noticed that you pronounce nintendo obviously, nin-ten-dow

it ends with a "w" sounds, and wii starts with "w". so saying it fast it sounds like nintendoey.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not just in IGN, every gaming site has confirmed this.

And lmao, what a shitty name, seriously. wtf Nintendo?

L

Laharl

Actually, it's a nifty name. It's better than any of the other console's names being produced...

_JaKE

Reaction score
Its sounds retarded, but written down it looks cool accually.

like written here, it just fits.

lol
GI: (laughs) The name Wii makes me think of peeing! You said you have to hold the DS like a book for Brain Age, I hate to know how I’m supposed to hold the Wii controller.

Atwood: I’m not going to go there, but you won’t be surprised. When you look at it, there’s so many different things you can do. But come to E3 and you will appreciate it.

Famitsu recently conducted a survey of its readers and some publishers about which console they were most interested in. Along with that, they also asked publishers how many secret games they plan to reveal at E3. Since numbers speak louder than words, I'll give 'em out right here:

Console Most Looked Forward to by Gamers:
Nintendo Wii: 45.3%
Sony PS3: 44.8%
Other Hardware: 5.5%
Xbox 360: 4.4%

Console Most Looked Forward to by Developers:
Nintendo Wii: 47.4%
Sony PS3: 36.8%
Did Not Respond: 15.8%

Surprisingly, more people are interested in the Nintendo Wii (or Revolution as it was known at the time) than in the PS3. Japan has been really leaning towards the PS3 in all previous polls. Maybe people are really excited about the new games and controller?

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I don't believe anything on IGN until it's on NoA's website ^_^ I still have a grudging disrespect for the site for several things their hired-hands said. When Nintendo's website went back up, last night, I made the 'official' announcement in my Gaia Nintendo Guild of the new name.

About the polls, I've read varying things. It's a varial rollercoaster ride of popularity in Japan as to Wii versus PS3 when looking at which gamers are looking forward to, most. Recent polling seems to suggest the Wii is taking the lead once more, unsurprisingly. Developers have, more or less, been far more interested in the Wii than the puplic, generally by a margin of +5%. I think this +2% is the closest the margins have been since the Wii was originally announced as the N5Revolution.

_JaKE

Reaction score
During the interview Steve Manning became convinced that Nintendo had deliberately picked a bad name for the console and that it was, in fact, fake. Manning thinks that Nintendo is creating an enormous viral campaign by releasing a fake name and then coming back during E3 and announcing the real one.

It looks like he’s not the only one who thinks this. Site Snark Hunting is also convinced, here’s why:
---------------------------------------------------------

Crazy? Here is the first clue, “By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it’s like to play the games begin to come in.” Allowing your audience time to vent is not SOP in a name announcement, and also telegraphs that Nintendo knows what a stinker this name would be.
Second, it’s not possible to engineer a worse name for this product.

Third, and this is a big one, there are no trademarks registered by Nintendo nor by any dummy corp in the U.S or over there for Wii. This is unprecedented for Nintendo and it is not possible that his is an oversight. If Wii were the name, they would have registered it. In fact, no new trademarks have been registered by Nintendo at all. This leads us to conclude that Nintendo has in fact registered the real name under a dummy corp, which is SOP when trying to keep a name a secret prior to launch.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve asked Nintendo reps straight out if this was the case, several times, and they deny it through and through. They also say they don’t know why the name isn’t yet trademarked.

Manning is now calling this the “most savvy name announcement we have seen in many years.”
---------------------------------------------------------
We think Nintendo is setting you all up to be Punk’d at E3, generating a massive amount of positive buzz when the scam and the real new name are announced.
Given that their video game audience is the same demographic as Punk’d, the whole campaign is perversely elegant. Except of course for failing to make the illusion complete by registering a TM for Wii.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I think this would run too many risks and could far too easily backfire for Nintendo to attempt it. I’m thinking Nintendo just thinks the shock is going to create an instant and lasting impression.

Update: This just in from Nintendo on the subject of the missing Wii trademark: “Nintendo has filed many trademark applications for Wii. Trademark Web sites often take time to update, and you can expect the Wii trademarks to appear shortly.”

Nintendo Wii Brilliant [Snark Hunting]