New Mercs for Diablo 3

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone could come up with for new mercenary in Diablo 3.

So this is my idea for one. First off, I think having a merc with full gear (rings, amulet, armor, helm, belt, gloves, boots, weapon & shield, or weapon & weapon) would be more benificial to game play. Have them able to use their own pots when need be would cut down on alot of them dying. Also in Diablo 3 they can carry a limited supply of gear as well.

Cleric
Range attack/Caster
Will have one of 3 auras for the party.
Cleansing, Prayer, Meditation
Would attack with Fist of Heaven to kill and heal

Cleasing - cuts down on poison time (same as skil)

Prayer - life regeneration for you and party (same as skill)

Meditation - Mana regeneration for you and party (same as skill)

Summoner
Range attack/Caster
Will have one of 3 Elementals to summon in combat
Poison, Water, Air
Summoner itself would not attack only curse enemies

Poison Elemental - same as Fire golem from the Necromancer, but would have a Poison aura, and chance to cause Poison Nova on striking (same as BotD)

Water Elemental - Immune to any and all Elements (includeing Poison, and Magical) but is a bit weak against physical melee/ranged damage

Air Elemental - Immune to Physical damage and curses (great against Iron Madien maybe) but is weak against elemental/magical damage

Doppleganger
Same as player character
Will have one of 3 versions to use
Defensive, Offensive, Mirrored
A silloette of your player character (same as shadows for Assassins)

Defensive - Would have damage cut in half to enemies, but would double in dex and life.

Offensive - Would have Dex and Life cut in half, but would do double your damage.

Mirrored - Would be strong in whatever you are weak in, and weaker in what your strong in. So if you die often before getting this merc, it will have alot more life, or if you don't die, it will have more damage to enemies then you.

Mage
Range attack/Caster
Will have one of 3 Elements to attack with
Earth, Water, Air
Same as a Sorc, but with different elements

Earth - Will do massive physical damage as well as magical. As a bonus it will cast a spell on party to increase Defense, adding to block rate, and life

Water - Will do water elemental damage that slows, as well as magical damage. As a bonus it will cast a spell that increases damage to enemies.

Air - Will do air elemental damage that knocks back, as well as magical damage. As a bonus it will cast a spell that adds to attack/casting rate.

Ranger
Range attack/Melee
Will have one of 3 types to choose from
Multishot, Guided Arror, Rapidfire
Same as act 1 D2 Rouges, but with skills

Multishot - Multiple arrows to single, or multiple targets (same as skill) Spectral damage.

Guided Arrow - A arrow that hunts for a enemy to hit (same as skill) Magical damage.

Rapidfire - Shoots one arrow after another extremely fast 50% crital damage.

Each merc will gain exp, levels, damage, life, ect. same as it is for Diablo 2, but, to revive them you must pay gold that doubles everytime they are revived. To fight this, you can gear them with anything possible.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Ooh..I read that all and there are some excellent ideas there.

Just one thing, first of all good job, but don't you think the Doppelganger is a bit Overkill? Sounds crazy. Maybe s/he should only be allowed to be used in certain parts of the game..?

As for the Elementals, that sounds really good. The Ranger sounds kinda lame though. Maybe s/he could be an Act 1 merc.

Anyway I also think that you should be able to choose whether your merc is male or female. That could also change some aspects of your merc. eg. Females: Higher Dex and Energy (or intellegence? ;)), Lower Vitality and Strength. Higher Stamina?

Male: Higer strength and Vit, Lower Energy and Dex.

What do you think?

Another thing, I think there should be more than just Poison, Fire, Cold, and Lightning elemental skills (which Pale Horse has already worked on I guess). A cool idea would be to be able to mix your spells so you can have Cold Lightning or Hot Poison, among other new elemental skills. It could create a much higher diversity among chars. Instead of being a Orb Sorc you could be a Lighthing/Orb sorc (not just one with TS etc). That could be really fun...Obviously you couldnt do Fire/Ice as that would be rather stupid!

One really cool thing I found, while playing Cheaters Choice 5 (I think) is that it had this very handy list of all your other stats like your MF, Damage Res, Light Radius, and all those other things that you like to keep track of. I would be very happy if that was included in D3

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Looking back I agree that the Doppelganger was a bit .... overpowering, but I was trying to come up with at least 5 types of mercs, since their are 5 acts in D2 at least.

I basically left the Mercs up to the reader to fit them into a act per say, but I figured the mercs would be placed like this:

1. Ranger - basic support
2. Cleric - when thigs begin to get tough, and your character is still weak
3. Mage - placed this to basically mirror the act 3 mercs in D2
4. Summoner - same as act 3 but since you in hell, why not a summoner
5. Doppleganger - to balace out your character for the final battle

I think the combination of elements is a great idea, but, how would that work out in damage. A bit tough for that one.

As far as what elements I thought of are as followed:
Air
Water
Fire
Lightning
Poison
Earth
Cold

Reason being I took one element for each class.
Earth for the Druid
Poison for the Necromancer
Fire for the Barbarian
Water for the Paladin
Cold for the Sorc
Lightning for the Assassin
Air for the Amazon

stephen149

Member!
Reaction score
Those sound like really cool ideas man. If I might add, I think it would be kinda cool if you could sell your mercs. It's sounds a little weird but if you could get a really good merc set up and then sell it in an AH or something, it would be kinda cool. They would be hella expensive though.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Hmm about those element skills and one for each char, I honestly cant say I like that idea. Also I dont think the same chars will be in D3. What would water do to harm something anyway? :p AAAAARGH NOO! WAHTEH!

Besides that good work on the mercs I think that would be fun